PDA

View Full Version : DRM?

XenoLair
01-12-2012, 06:18 PM
So, I remember there was some small text on the store page that said this game may or may not use DRM or something similar. This was later removed and you can no longer see it on the store page. I did buy the game and I used the cd key provided when 1st starting the game so there is some kind of cd key system.

This conserns me a bit, am I now restricted to play the game only on the computer I used the cd key on? Can I install + enter the same cd key on my laptop? Basically, I'm asking if there is any hidden DRM in the game that steam users aren't being informed of?

Finchie
01-12-2012, 07:42 PM
Steam gives you a CD Key to use. Whenever you want to install the game on a different computer, you can input the CD Key Steam gives you and it will install. There's no limit as to how many computers you can install this on, however you will need to log into your Steam account whenever you wish to install or play.

There's no GFWL nonsense or sneaky hidden DRM inside of it.

XenoLair
01-12-2012, 08:10 PM
I thought each steam account gets only one cd key so my key would be the same on all PC's.
So we get multiple keys for each PC we log into? Thats very good news.

Finchie
01-12-2012, 08:52 PM
Well, you'd have to wait for MS_Ryz0n for confirmation, but by my understanding, the CD Key you get from Steam is used to activate the game on Steam.

Once activated on Steam you should be able to install it to any computer using that CD Key.

But yeah, like I said - please don't take my word for it, wait for confirmation. I don't want to be giving you wrong information that you base your purchase on.

keeveek
01-13-2012, 01:13 AM
Nope. It's leftovers from securom - if you install the game for the first time on any computer, you need to put the cd key (it's added to registry)

also, the key is required for online play - one key per online accout.

XenoLair
01-13-2012, 06:42 AM
Well I checked:
Logged into steam on my PC and laptop and got the same CD key for the game (as I thought).
I'm downoading it now on my laptop to see if the cd key will work. For online play I dont mind the one key per account policy because I can just login to my ESO account on any other PC. I'm just worried It wont let me activate the game on my laptop -> the DRM.

I'll post back soon with results.

EDIT; alright it let me activate so the game either doesn't check if the key has been used over the internet or it allows multiple activations.

A confirmation from MS_Ryz0n would be ideal right now!

Dilbert
01-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Well I checked:
Logged into steam on my PC and laptop and got the same CD key for the game (as I thought).
I'm downoading it now on my laptop to see if the cd key will work. For online play I dont mind the one key per account policy because I can just login to my ESO account on any other PC. I'm just worried It wont let me activate the game on my laptop -> the DRM.

I'll post back soon with results.

EDIT; alright it let me activate so the game either doesn't check if the key has been used over the internet or it allows multiple activations.

A confirmation from MS_Ryz0n would be ideal right now!

It allows multiple activations, but only one account. Steam limits each account to 1 login at any time so that is the control right there. Plus, folks remove and reinstall games all the time and Steam is set up to allow reinstalling games over and over.

XenoLair
01-13-2012, 07:26 PM
It allows multiple activations, but only one account. Steam limits each account to 1 login at any time so that is the control right there. Plus, folks remove and reinstall games all the time and Steam is set up to allow reinstalling games over and over.

Yes I am aware of that, I very much know Steam is DRM in itself and how it works but thats the very thing that bugs me: why use CD keys if Steam already limits the game to only the steam account owner?
I know AOE3 is an old game that used CDkeys before so they added cd keys for Valve to distribute, but do these keys actually do more than just activate the game -> do they limit installs by themselves, so when you reinstall it say 10 times, will I one day get a message saying "the CD key has already been used and cant be used anymore" like you'd expect from modern DRM on top of Steam.

LiveOnTheEdge
01-13-2012, 08:41 PM
I've installed my disc copy on two of my computers and had no problems playing the game or connecting to ESO. I think it's just that there can only be one ESO account tied to a particular cd key.

MS Ryz0n
01-15-2012, 01:13 PM
To clear up a bit of confusion:
1) The DRM notice was removed as it was in error
2) There is no install limit on our end.
3) Your CD key should be used every time you install your copy of the game.
4) Each CD key can be used to create one ESO multiplayer account. You may log into the account on any system you install your game on.

XenoLair
01-16-2012, 04:15 PM
Good to know, that cleared up everything.