PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Civilisation?

kamster99
01-14-2012, 10:56 AM
I was just wondering whose civilisation is everyone's favourite. Personally, I prefer the Germans.

Pingpong0101
01-14-2012, 12:27 PM
I like the dutch, because i can build banks and not concentrate on mining all the gold i need and so i can put all my settlers on food and wood.

mandosrex
01-14-2012, 12:32 PM
U.S.A. from my mod:)
http://impmod.blogspot.com/

Black Steve
01-14-2012, 01:05 PM
I love the Japanese. I also did well with the British and Dutch. Just started playing again thanks to Steam.

Beast357
01-14-2012, 01:12 PM
My favorite is Germany, but I confess I'm terrible with them and really don't know how to play them. I think mercenaries are really cool and the Germans seem to be one of the better civs for that. But again, I really don't know how to effectively use mercenaries so I haven't been able to mess with that too much.

meast
01-14-2012, 02:55 PM
My favorite is Germany, but I confess I'm terrible with them and really don't know how to play them. I think mercenaries are really cool and the Germans seem to be one of the better civs for that. But again, I really don't know how to effectively use mercenaries so I haven't been able to mess with that too much.

Germany used to have some great tactics with Mercenaries before spies were introduced to the game (they have a 20x attack bonus vs mercs)

Most people used to stay in age 2 and make xbow/pike and use Uhlans from shipments + build their eco up. They also have a pretty decent Fast fortress, they have some nice Uhlan/Skirmisher shipments in age 3.

If you need any build orders just let me know.

Beast357
01-14-2012, 04:09 PM
Germany used to have some great tactics with Mercenaries before spies were introduced to the game (they have a 20x attack bonus vs mercs)

Most people used to stay in age 2 and make xbow/pike and use Uhlans from shipments + build their eco up. They also have a pretty decent Fast fortress, they have some nice Uhlan/Skirmisher shipments in age 3.

If you need any build orders just let me know.

Thank you, I'll have to try that. Do you bother with Doppelsoldners at any point? They seem really expensive.

meast
01-14-2012, 05:07 PM
Thank you, I'll have to try that. Do you bother with Doppelsoldners at any point? They seem really expensive.

They are pretty good late game, way too expensive early on.

Once you get to age IV and V they can be very handy, especially with all the cards to improve them!

keeveek
01-15-2012, 04:01 AM
I like Russian the most. But i'm not a pro player.

Dark_Gable
01-15-2012, 06:24 PM
ottoman in treaty
Ports in standard

malek1013
01-15-2012, 07:27 PM
Sioux with fully upgraded horse rifleman... those things are invincible at that point.

Finchie
01-15-2012, 07:37 PM
Portuguese Teaty
Portuguese Deathmatch
Ottoman Supremacy

... though I haven't played properly in quite a while, so that may change when I start playing again. :)

Squishpoke
01-15-2012, 08:18 PM
In AoE2 I have fond memories of using the Turks just because of their Hand Cannoneers.

Haven't played AoE3 yet though.

QuannumOne
01-17-2012, 02:18 PM
Chinese, their monk is the toughest explorer in the game with the ability to create disciples right off the bat. Upgraded villages give you 220 pop. limit, which is great for producing mass banner armies (Old Han and Forbidden armies are my favorite).

=|Lexx|=
01-18-2012, 10:19 AM
Finally an interesting thread! (at least it's about the content not about issues, pricing or missing games from MS)

I first played the Spanish and liked them much. They are truly easy to learn and well balanced among the vanilla civilizations.

After that I tried the Chinese. They feel great after you figure out how to play with them. But in lategame they lack the strength and the banner armies are just too weak even as hard counters. They feel bit broken since the Chinese Nation is perfect for booming and building up a good economy for lategame. Yet they lose on battlefield if they take too long.
Personally I even couldn't manage to build up a great economy even with the plus on villagers. The Ports (Portuguese) seem to be more efficient with resources.

The last civilization I tried (and play currently) is the Japanese.
They have the strongest mercenaries, very strong units, strong upgrade-cards and a well balanced economy.

Those are my favorite Nations. My most favorite is the Japanese but many players call it overpowered so ...

meast
01-18-2012, 01:05 PM
Yeah Japanese are easily the strongest civ, very easy to play as well.

Chinese can be good late game, just gotta make sure you have the unit upgrades cards that make banner armies much stronger.

=|Lexx|=
01-18-2012, 05:23 PM
Yeah Japanese are easily the strongest civ, very easy to play as well.

Chinese can be good late game, just gotta make sure you have the unit upgrades cards that make banner armies much stronger.

I had them full-equipped but I always lost all my armies against the enemy (ports).

I could spam faster than him (or maybe he had no need for it) but I could not make ground.
After all I have ended with killed villagers for more army and then my eco broke down. I had not enough resources but he did.

this all happened in late-game.

electrorenan
01-18-2012, 07:11 PM
Havent play in a while (my pc is packed away), but I used to play with the Portuguese. They are tricky to start, but later on they can counter almost anything!

meast
01-19-2012, 04:55 AM
I had them full-equipped but I always lost all my armies against the enemy (ports).

I could spam faster than him (or maybe he had no need for it) but I could not make ground.
After all I have ended with killed villagers for more army and then my eco broke down. I had not enough resources but he did.

Yeah Ports do have a very strong late game, very strong Muskets/Dragoons + Cassadors are decent late game.

I guess when you play a port player again (guessing you weren't playing treaty?) try hitting him early. They start off really slow, most will try and fast fortress.

The one reason I never liked playing Chinese was because of the banner armies. They are ok early on but become a real pain late game.

sacredone1
01-19-2012, 10:39 PM
Portuguese starting off slow is on the deck and player skill level not the civ ;)

If they are any good they can rush you like no other. I don't believe you understand how big an advantage that second town center really gives when utilized properly ;)

Oh and fact they can ♥♥♥♥ infantry like no other :P

meast
01-20-2012, 01:21 AM
Portuguese starting off slow is on the deck and player skill level not the civ ;)

If they are any good they can rush you like no other. I don't believe you understand how big an advantage that second town center really gives when utilized properly ;)

Oh and fact they can ♥♥♥♥ infantry like no other :P

You can't rush properly and produce villagers from two town centers, not on the ES patch anyway.

Their infantry don't really come good until late game, the majority of cards can only be send once you hit age 4.

I've always found the best way to play ports is to use Colonial Militia and play defensively whilst building up your eco or semi FF/full FF.

xboxer
01-20-2012, 01:34 AM
Probably Japanese but then I didn't really fool around much with other races.

Played alot of British when I had the disc version. But their cavalry seems to die really quick.

onfiregun17
01-21-2012, 07:25 PM
British are probably mine.It's very amusing to manor boom and have a nice eco :D

snuggles53
01-21-2012, 10:03 PM

40 min games... this is what you do... get tons of settler wagons, max your settler count to 99 in industrial age... get the card that gives you 20 settlers while going into imperial age... out gather, then kill 40-50 settlers in 40 min, build 14 barracks 3 layers of walls 8 stables... Skirmishers and a few dopples+uhlans and germans will hold off...

regular games (non-laggy games) just gather lots of coin, some food for settelrs, and some wood for houses... 10 lanskenets will kill 1 spy like it or not... germans can still pull off mercenary rushes...

snuggles53
01-21-2012, 10:05 PM
You can't rush properly and produce villagers from two town centers, not on the ES patch anyway.

Their infantry don't really come good until late game, the majority of cards can only be send once you hit age 4.

I've always found the best way to play ports is to use Colonial Militia and play defensively whilst building up your eco or semi FF/full FF.

technically their good cards come at age 3...

snuggles53
01-21-2012, 10:08 PM
my favorite faction is the dutch...
although underestimated in 40 min games...
they dominate the field in regular games due to the early access to artillery and massed reiters/carboneeers... i'm an aggressive player so i harrass enemy settlers any chance i get...

snuggles53
01-21-2012, 10:09 PM
British are probably mine.It's very amusing to manor boom and have a nice eco :D

their eco is amazing throughout a game, but only if they gather correctly and build and expand correctly too

snuggles53
01-21-2012, 10:10 PM

Japanese vs portugese late game... you will need to use hatamoto samurai/samurai, mixed with ashigaru and naginata cavalry... and when things get super desperate bring out the flamming arrows...

=|Lexx|=
01-22-2012, 12:07 AM
@snuggles53
I did and messed his town up - I even killed villagers and spent all my gold for the card to receive export.
But he just started to build up barracks and stables all over map because he had enough resources so he spammed and spammed till the samurai went down, he was pretty much shocked but after that I was out of gold and villagers and had to rebuild ... my eco was down and he just lost most of his town but u don't win the game by that... (I guess Regicide [kill the king] is a better choice here^^)
So it lasted longer and he almost killed me ... but we finally decided to call it a draw since the sun was already rising^^

Why posting five times and not just putting all the messages in a single one. - There is even an edit button available. Oh man^^ You posted all that within 7 minutes? hmm, beware! Some mods might get upset.

meast
01-22-2012, 02:41 AM
technically their good cards come at age 3...

I was talking about Infantry upgrade cards, which come in age 4 ;)

snuggles53
01-23-2012, 12:51 AM
=|Lexx|= Japanese have 70 villagers by end game... sooo placed 45 on food and the rest on gold reason? Units cost more food than gold... don't rely on cards for export... just use exports for upgrades until late game, then use it for hatamotos, keep your wonders and generals alive... I did forget to mention to upgrade yumi archers... Portugese can make casador weapons and armor stronger... samurai or ashigaru can tank that damage... fully upgraded yumi archers or regular (early game) out range them... meaning more damage per second on your part... japanese tactics is to slowly push the line, though at some point yes... they get out macroed... though mid late game japanese dominate..
meast... team 1000 wood and town center wagon in age 3 for portugese are more powerful in 40 min games...

meast
01-23-2012, 01:28 AM
=|Lexx|
meast... team 1000 wood and town center wagon in age 3 for portugese are more powerful in 40 min games...

:eek:

More powerful that cards that upgrade your infantry late game? (seen as we were talking about Portuguese Infantry)

And why send a TC wagon when you get one free every time you age?

sacredone1
01-23-2012, 09:11 AM
The ports have only 3 upgrade cards to their infantry of which 2 are for HP so they really don't get that much stronger then they already are to begin with. Its not their troops strength that helps them win its their economy. More important are their speed cards and economy cards which most come in ages 1-3.

Oh and their dragoon upgrade is age 3.

140 pop for troops to enemies 120 is a big advantage.

meast
01-23-2012, 09:58 AM
They have 3 cards yeah, 1 is HP alone, 1 is attack alone and the other boots both attack and hitpoints by 15%.

Anyway, the only reason I was talking about infantry because someone mentioned it earlier and was simply pointing out that they don't really become strong until late game (they have the second strongest Muskets in the game along with Brits).

The card the gives Dragoons 6.00 extra range and Line of sight is also very good once you get to age 4, nothing can get near them.

What do you mean by 140 pop for troops?

sacredone1
01-23-2012, 11:13 AM
The population limit is 200 most civ's will use 70-90 of that on resource gathering villagers to support fielding their armies. The ports can manage with just 60-70 well if they are any good as a player they can manage with just 60-70 lol
As i said any race can be used to rush its just some are better then others at it.

meast
01-23-2012, 01:45 PM
You should always max out your villagers if you're playing supremacy or treaty. If you only use 70 or so villagers as Ports (or any civ apart from the ones with villager caps) you'd find it very hard to keep up late game.

Ports don't have any eco cards that other Euro Civs can't use so you'd fall behind.

I don't think you'll find a good player, past or present that would stop at 70 villagers.

cfrikenj
01-23-2012, 03:46 PM
When I'm playing to win I like to use the french and use a cuir rush tactic.

When I'm playing for fun, like a comp stomp,I like to use german or britsh civs.

onfiregun17
01-24-2012, 09:55 PM
When I'm playing to win I like to use the french and use a cuir rush tactic.

When I'm playing for fun, like a comp stomp,I like to use german or britsh civs.

one cannot simply rush with cuirs. it's impossibru :D

snuggles53
01-31-2012, 04:33 PM
:eek:

More powerful that cards that upgrade your infantry late game? (seen as we were talking about Portuguese Infantry)

And why send a TC wagon when you get one free every time you age?

team TC is REALLY powerful in competitve high level team play because it doesn't just boost your own resource gathering potential, but it boosts your enetire team's at least in treaty games