PDA

View Full Version : In-game music player

Thespeeder
01-16-2012, 02:40 AM
I know that people already suggested it before but I want to add to the idea that when a new song starts, an in-game steam message will pop up and say "Now playing: Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O'Mine" (or the name of the song that will be played)

PLEASE make it!! :D It will be so f****** awesome!!! :D

substrance
01-16-2012, 06:50 AM
Would like to see simple mp3 player on steam overlay, because some games have bad alt+tab support. Some games can crash on alt tab, for some switching is very slow, and that can be bad in online game.

ericL
01-16-2012, 08:39 AM
not really required, why?
- use winamp. Doesnt require you to alt tab and you can change songs using they keyboards media keys (if you happen to be on a keyboard without media keys ,say pre 1995 keyboard then you can just bind to default keys in winamp

NoBridges
01-16-2012, 08:47 AM
The last thing steam needs is more bloatware. It's already bad enough. So yeah, use winamp.

mohanad
01-16-2012, 09:01 AM
I agree with you ..

There should be a MEDIA PLAYER in steam !

rmartinezdl
01-16-2012, 09:03 AM
but that would mean the developers of the game should implement this on their games. oh well I think its not gonna happen.

and yeah is it so hard to buya multimedia keyboard with play/pause buttons?

ericL
01-16-2012, 09:28 AM
but that would mean the developers of the game should implement this on their games. oh well I think its not gonna happen.

and yeah is it so hard to buya multimedia keyboard with play/pause buttons?

it doesnt have anything to do with game devs. OP is just saying that the steam overlayui should have a mediaplayer.

Balikas4
01-16-2012, 09:31 AM
Sound like fun. It's like you put your music into some kind of steam folder and in game you push (shift+tab) and change song and so on !

Stardust260
01-16-2012, 09:45 AM
Here's how:
Launch desired game
Press shift+tab
Open web browser
Go on YouTube
Type in name of song
Click desired video
Mute game sound
There you go!
P.S: If you own Starcraft 2, use shift+tab and open up dubstep while playing. It fits well.

Technogeek1994
01-16-2012, 09:59 AM
Better yet, what if some sort of plugin system was introduced to the Steam Overlay, so additional things, such as media players, could be added? It could work through the Steam Workshop, so that anything a user creates could be checked by VALVe before it is allowed to be used with the Steam Overlay.

Lethal_Dexter
01-16-2012, 10:47 AM
This'll be Great!, Just open the Player and use some Music, instead of GrooveShark which sometimes crashes the browser.

Zerias
01-16-2012, 11:19 AM
I know that people already suggested it before but I want to add to the idea that when a new song starts, an in-game steam message will pop up and say "Now playing: Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O'Mine" (or the name of the song that will be played)

PLEASE make it!! :D It will be so f****** awesome!!! :D

please see this thread: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2157199

SirDrexl
01-16-2012, 05:09 PM
I would welcome a Foobar2000 plugin.

SAK_ATAK
01-16-2012, 07:21 PM
Would love steam integration of grooveshark, pandora, itunes, or whatever.

flashn00b
01-16-2012, 08:17 PM
Can't see it happening, since it would require games to know if the Steam overlay is playing music in a similar manner to how you can have Xbox 360 games with music playing through the Xbox guide.

GusTheCrocodile
01-16-2012, 08:21 PM
Can't see it happening, since it would require games to know if the Steam overlay is playing music in a similar manner to how you can have Xbox 360 games with music playing through the Xbox guide.
No, it would only require that if you want games to automatically turn their music off when you turn your custom stuff on. Which would be nice (and possible with an expanded Steamworks API, but yes, more work), but you could also just turn the game's music down yourself.

Catch_ME
01-16-2012, 08:49 PM
A music player in steam would be a great idea, BUT...

If you like a quick fix and you have a smart phone, you could install one of many remote apps. There is a VLC one for iphones. Or use the official Apple remote app to control your iTunes. I do that when I play many of my games especially WOW.

s333ftricky
01-16-2012, 11:07 PM
I would welcome a Foobar2000 plugin.

Oh someone was reading my mind..