PDA

View Full Version : Best way to run Wolf3D and Spear on Windows

Lukemax
01-16-2012, 10:40 AM
DosBox may be a good emulator for ms-dos softwares and games BUT it's not always easy to configure a game to run well on windows due to slowdowns and sound problems.

There's a port for Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny called Wolf4SDL that simply does its job: runs these games flawlessly on windows with best resolutions and some minor options that were added. It doesn't add new light, effects or textures though.

I made a pack (zip file) with everything needed.

Download it here: http://www.mediafire.com/?x817x5868s8tmt4

[INSTRUCTIONS]

FOR WOLF3D

just copy the files form the "wolf4sdl" folder to your wolf3d folder (usually C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Wolfenstein 3D\base). To play just launch the "wolf4sdl" executable.

FOR SPEAR

just copy the files form the "sod4sdl" folder to your spear folder (usually C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Spear of Destiny\base). To play Spear of Destiny launch the "Spear.bat" file. To play the expansion packs launch "M2-SOD.bat" for Return to Danger and "M3-SOD.bat" for Ultimate Challenge.

[CREDITS]

I did NOT made this port, Wolf4SDL. I'm just sharing the files here so steam users may be aware of it and use it easily. The port was made by Moritz "Ripper" Kroll and the files can be found separetely at Chaos-Software site: http://www.chaos-software.de.vu/

fuller556
01-17-2012, 07:15 PM
One question: Does this have the same problem that NewWolf does about not playing the in-game transitions properly? This makes Spear of Destiny impossible to finish without cheating. If the game plays smoothly without that issue, I'll definitely give it a try.

Lukemax
01-17-2012, 07:24 PM
One question: Does this have the same problem that NewWolf does about not playing the in-game transitions properly? This makes Spear of Destiny impossible to finish without cheating. If the game plays smoothly without that issue, I'll definitely give it a try.

Yes, there's no bug as far as I know. I finished Spear of Destiny using it.

I really liked the features of NewWolf (like detailed blood, textures and fog) but It have a critical bug: Nothing happens when you defeat a boss so you can't progress properly. Unfortunately this project seems to be dead since the last update was in 2006. (And my programming skills are still bad so the source code is useless to me)

The SDL was the best solution for me.

fuller556
01-20-2012, 09:50 PM
Cool, I went ahead and downloaded it for future reference. Now I just need a way to get the expansions to Spear of Destiny since it doesn't look like they're on Steam...

Lukemax
01-21-2012, 06:07 PM
Cool, I went ahead and downloaded it for future reference. Now I just need a way to get the expansions to Spear of Destiny since it doesn't look like they're on Steam...
If you're talking about the "lost episodes" (Return to Danger and Ultimate Challenge) they actually come with spear but are not in the description, though there's a screenshot of it on the store page.

fuller556
01-23-2012, 06:30 PM
Hmm, I bought the Wolf Pack which includes Spear of Destiny and couldn't find hide nor hair of them. What am I missing? :confused:

Lukemax
01-24-2012, 05:02 AM
Hmm, I bought the Wolf Pack which includes Spear of Destiny and couldn't find hide nor hair of them. What am I missing? :confused:

I don't know, then. When you launch Spear trough your steam games list/library (not through the shortcut on desktop) you get no window with three options? Nor the batch files of the port works?

fuller556
01-31-2012, 12:29 AM
Ah-ha. Okay, I didn't realize these were included because I had been playing Spear of Destiny through NewWolf and thus wasn't getting a selection screen for the expansions. I just reinstalled the game and see what you're talking about.

Heh, I was just getting ready to ask if they run well in Wolf4SDL, but then I re-read the original post and found you've already provided instructions for them. Thanks for helping me to clear all of this up. :)

Lukemax
09-05-2012, 02:15 PM
Since there's, like, 7 or 8 months from the last post here and the topic can be kinda useful, I'm posting just to bump. =P

StormX
12-29-2012, 10:41 PM
I created a launcher that will launch Wolf4SDL from Steam instead of the Dosbox version. The zip contains "Wolf4SDL.exe" and its required DLLs, which can be downloaded from http://www.chaos-software.de.vu, and "dosbox.exe" which is the launcher (Steam is hard-coded to launch dosbox.exe for Wolfenstein 3D). I included the source code if you'd like to build the launcher yourself. Installation details are in the readme.

Download: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1884010/Wolf4SDLLauncher.zip

A nice thing about Wolf4SDL is you can run the game at custom resolutions. If you type

--resf 1920 1080

in the launch options, the game will run at 1080p and will look much sharper than the original (there will be a few minor graphic glitches for that resolution, though).

Count_D
02-20-2013, 05:50 PM
The launcher doesn't work.