PDA

View Full Version : for what this game says......

ikki5
01-16-2012, 06:50 PM
how the heck is it soo small???

250 MB on steam???

it is just about the size of the demo..... it better be the real full game...

yakri
01-16-2012, 07:23 PM
Procedural generation.

Aka; differences in how it is coded and designed, modern games in part, do not NEED to be as big as they are in general, most of the space is spent storing 27 different HD textures for grass and pre-made dungeons and crap like that.

Kcspaceman
01-16-2012, 07:28 PM
It is the full game, and the demo. The demo on their website is just locked until you input your registration code. On Steam it's already unlocked, but the game assets are the same.

A lot of the content in Evochron Mercenary is generated procedurally, meaning it's made on-the-fly based on pre-programmed rules. You can read more about the file size straight from the developer's site here:

http://www.starwraith.com/dsize.htm

In short, by carefully planning it ahead of time he keeps the file sizes small. When they're uncompressed and in use, they tend to take up as much memory as any game of this sort would.

HoosTrax
01-16-2012, 07:31 PM
If the content is good, then I don't mind.

How big are the Minecraft or Terraria installers? Not very large would be my guess, despite the amount of content you can discover.

I'll probably give the demo a spin after I finishing downloading Arkham Asylum.

purplellama
01-16-2012, 07:59 PM
250 mb seems incredibly tiny, even if procedural generation is involved.

it tells me something is lacking, i mean graphics don't make the
game so i'll wait before i snap judge. but that raised a flag for me.

game looks and sounds cool, i'd like to hear more about multiplayer.

James009
01-16-2012, 09:02 PM
More games need to be procedural generated. It really does open up opportunities in development that we've lost in the years. They stopped using it because memory storage devices got larger and they could divert resources into world development. Don't base a game on it's download size.

Anyone remember Daggerfall?

Cunin
01-16-2012, 10:08 PM
I still remember Frontier: Elite 2 on my Amiga. That game was made by one single person (the amazing David Braben) and fit in one single floppy-disk (880kb), while most games at that time used to need more than 1 floppy, even small platformers. Yet that single disk contained a whole galaxy, with all of its systems, planets, stars, satellites, orbiting stations, meteors and space debris, cities in the inhabited planets.
Each planet had its own name, there were lots of ships to choose from and lots of upgrades for each of them. There were terminals with all kinds of jobs to choose from, even finding missing persons, each of them had its own generated "photo" and name.
A fully featured soundtrack (there were like more than 10 musics if i remember correctly), all the sound effects needed, all the graphics in 3d (just filled polygons at that time) and an adventure that was always different, with thousands of hours of gameplay, just to scratch its surface.

So yeah, don't look at the size too much. If procedural generation is made right, size doesn't matter at all. Just to let you understand how much size is "wasted" today, take a look at this FPS that fits in 64k bytes: http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=12036 , it's one of the most impressive things I've seen, and it's from 2006 :) (might not work so well in modern machines though).

Anyway, is this game similar to Elite/Frontier? I've never seen a decent competitor for those games yet, and they're ancient, except for the OpenSource version of Frontier (http://pioneerspacesim.net/) that is in development.

pnptcn
01-16-2012, 10:16 PM
250 mb seems incredibly tiny, even if procedural generation is involved.

it tells me something is lacking, i mean graphics don't make the
game so i'll wait before i snap judge. but that raised a flag for me.

game looks and sounds cool, i'd like to hear more about multiplayer.

It's missing big production values like voice actors, or prerendered set pieces. As far as gameplay goes, there's always something to do. A quick bit of mining to get back on your feet, configuring your frame for racing and hitting the circuits, fight hostiles and get cargo, take on combat missions, explore, trade, piracy, whatever. It doesn't have the big production values but it does have a lot of fun in it. If you can see it, you can get to it, and a lot of times you can do something interesting. Like the rings in space you can see from the city on the groud, you can fly to those rings, then mine water from the ice in them, then travel to a nearby station and sell the water. Take the money you made from selling the water, buy some missiles and then go fight. But there's no Jennifer Hale as the cocky and badass new pilot in the sector who is destined for greatness.

paul1290
01-16-2012, 11:05 PM
The developer likes to be careful about doing things that would increase the game's size and he's had quite long time to refine how he does this (The Evochron/Arvoch/StarWraith series has been going on for a decade now).
As was mentioned the small size is due to a lot of things being generated.

If the sense that the game is claiming to deliver something for nothing bothers you that much, then I suppose you could consider that the fact game takes an admittedly very long time to load when starting up as the trade-off.

(Seriously, it's long enough that I usually go to fetch a snack and drink while this thing loads. Thankfully it only has to do this once when you start it up and is pretty much seamless once you're in-game. :) )

YukoValis
01-17-2012, 02:40 AM
Only 250mb? so in other words you have no reason to ever uninstall it from your harddrive? :)

razorracer83
01-17-2012, 05:51 AM
Anyway, is this game similar to Elite/Frontier? I've never seen a decent competitor for those games yet, and they're ancient, except for the OpenSource version of Frontier (http://pioneerspacesim.net/) that is in development.

It's actually the closest you can get to a modern version of Frontier: Elite 2, down to the seamless planetary transitions. It's Newtonian physics system is pretty strong, but not as strong as Frontier's. You can even travel to other star systems seamlessly without using jumpdrives/jumpgates. But it's highly recommended that you use them, since it takes a long time going though star systems using only your ships engines, not to mention you can easily run out of fuel doing that.

Doob
01-17-2012, 06:13 AM
Steam says 750 mb HD space required.