PDA

View Full Version : Why in God's Name Does This Exist When There Are Games Like SKYRIM Available?

n00borama
01-20-2012, 07:16 PM
Just played the demo. Let me summarize:

Levels are on rails (no exploration)
Interface makes Skyrim's debacle look like the most well thought out menu system ever!
Camera swings around wildly at the slightest move of the mouse (geared for x-box controller)
Reminds me of games I played 10 years ago. (this is bad)
I would totally dig this if I were 12 (this is also bad)

I could go on but I'm going to go play Skyrim instead. Or maybe just shove $60 up my ♥♥♥ and pretend I bought this game.

GirlPower23
01-20-2012, 07:20 PM
Just played the demo. Let me summarize:

Interface makes Skyrim's debacle look like the most well thought out menu system ever!
Camera swings around wildly at the slightest move of the mouse (geared for x-box controller)
I would totally dig this if I were 12 (this is also bad)

I could go on but I'm going to go play Skyrim instead. Or maybe just shove $60 up my ♥♥♥ and pretend I bought this game.

- No they aren't.
- No it doesn't. Multifunction Keys and Half the time Mouse doesn't work in Skyrims UI. Skyrim is the pinnacle of Console Ports, true story.
- Turn down sensitivity.
- Ah, so you like games that are dumbed down for the new generation..
- What does age have to do with anything.. 12 year olds enjoy Skyrim.

1/10.. because you put effort into your attempt and managed to fish a response.

Shaneluls39199
01-20-2012, 07:35 PM
- No they aren't.
- No it doesn't. Multifunction Keys and Half the time Mouse doesn't work in Skyrims UI. Skyrim is the pinnacle of Console Ports, true story.
- Turn down sensitivity.
- Ah, so you like games that are dumbed down for the new generation..
- What does age have to do with anything.. 12 year olds enjoy Skyrim.

1/10.. because you put effort into your attempt and managed to fish a response.

+rep for countering the attack lol. so if you dont mind me asking girlpower you pre ordering this game or waiting?

n00borama
01-20-2012, 07:44 PM
I'm not trolling, I was serious! If you guys enjoy it then more power to you.

Zzinged
01-20-2012, 08:08 PM
I'm not trolling, I was serious! If you guys enjoy it then more power to you.

Variety is the spice of life.

ecat
01-20-2012, 08:16 PM
In reply to the thread title: Because different people prefer different games <shrug>

Not very helpful, so...

A brief demo can show quite a lot about some aspects of a game but others take time to fully develop. I will say that in my single 45 minute session I found more humour and charm than in 100 hours of Skyrim. On a highly subjective note I also like my character: she has a broad independent streak and a mischievous twinkle to her eye. I honestly, from start to finish, didn't give a ♥♥♥♥ for my char in Skyrim which is highly unusual and something I've yet to find a reason for.

A brief note on the 45 minute demo period for others yet to play: the timer doesn't start until the first town and it doesn't run while on your character pages or while in conversation. So, really quite generous.

There is certainly a large enough area to explore, a couple of caves, a few nooks, several half hidden chests etc to find. You can start, stop and return to quests as you wish and I see no reason to do them in any set order.

I'd say the interface was a mixed bag. A real inventory and items have stats, a promising start. There is no side by side inventory when talking to vendors in which case a double click is required to see or compare item stats, this is not so good.

UI navigation is usually key, click, double click. Really quite simple, also pressing I for inventory followed by I again closes the inventory. M for map, M to close it... Such joy.

In general the interface does suffer from 'big TV syndrome', designed to viewed from 10 feet away. I hate that.

It took me 15 minutes to adapt to the camera, yes on PC with kb and mouse, but I'm old so I'd expect the youngsters to adapt more quickly. On second thoughts as I hail from the time when every game had unique controls I perhaps do have the advantage here.

Do I wish I could zoom the camera right in? Hell yes, I'm not a fan of third person. Likewise, zooming out to an almost overhead view would be welcome, but the camera as is, is serviceable.

I don't know what games you played 10 years ago. I assume you mean graphics? I like the style, quite cheerful and while certainly far from photo realistic they were never supposed to be photo realistic - it looks like an imaginary game world. Polygon count are texture quality are on the low side, just like Skyrim - consoles NEED 4GB ram asap, 8 to survive the future.

I'm certainly over 12 years of age.

TemptedNZ
01-20-2012, 08:48 PM

Sums up the OP really.

So it reminds you of a time when games were made with passion instead of publishers and
money coming first to an extreme degree?

Yea ok, terrible.

n00borama
01-20-2012, 09:09 PM
I guess I'll have to give it more of a chance before <female dog>ing next time - I didn't make it to the first town before I decided I hated it. Also having to log into an EA account just to play a demo <urinates> me off enough to skip it too.

Kiya
01-20-2012, 09:11 PM
You don't need to log into the EA account to play the demo at all, click on the X at the top right of the box, then select the 'opt out' button. I played the demo without logging in with no problems.

hayali_icraat
01-20-2012, 10:16 PM
God, "Skyrim <sexual intercourse> this game up" threads are really getting tiresome. Are fanbois a side effect of marketing?

TemptedNZ
01-20-2012, 11:05 PM
[LIST]

I guess I'll have to give it more of a chance before <female dog>ing next time - I didn't make it to the first town before I decided I hated it.

Overall from the Steam board I see the majority of haters bringing up issues that serve to highlight their ignorance.

Another common theme is to complain about issues that are prevalent in a game they love.

I hope you aren't too much past twelve, otherwise you're far stupider than your years should demand.

Inglu
01-21-2012, 01:35 AM
The game kind of reminds of Skyrim, but with far more satisfying combat. And you seriously can't think Skyrim's pitiful excuse for an UI is better than the one in this. It's fairly clunky in places, but atleast it doesn't lack most basic functions.

Garnog
01-21-2012, 02:18 AM
Just finished the demo, worked around the black screen issue by forcing AA, and didn't find out about the 'disable Post processing' until AFTER. Tried playing it again briefly w/o the artifacts caused by AA, looked OK, not great. Controls were a bit wonky; had to adjust sensitivity, no biggie. Didn't like the way my 'toon rolled(like a friggin' ROCKET)or moved in general, and the combat moves are definitely lacking a certain panache. Graphics are adequate,and the general art direction standard WOW-clone affair. Not bad, not great. Keeping in mind it was just a demo, I'll reserve final judgement until it's released and reviewed. The saving grace MAY be that R.A Salvatore contributed to the writing, but that would involve a much longer play time to see if it bears out. This is NOT on my 'must buy' list, but if patch 1.4 for Skyrim doesn't fix the CTD issues, I may get bored and pick it up. In OTHER news... SOPA IS DEAD!!! YES!!!! (at least for now)