PDA

View Full Version : Ship variety

Spattercat
01-21-2012, 10:15 PM
Does everyone end up with more or less the same ship outfit? Maybe a few varieties, like a mining ship, combat ship, exploration ship, that more or less everyone seems to have? I really dislike being funneled into certain builds. I know this is more of a skill game, when it comes to the combat, but I want to feel like I've done something unique that suits my playstyle, rather than fit a mold.

Thanks!

JagaTelesin
01-21-2012, 11:14 PM
There are different hull classes (major sets are Civilian and Military). Within each type there are a dozen or more hulls, each of which can be customized with different engines, shields, cargo bays, equipment slots, crew slots, etc etc etc. You can even customize the size and position of the parts as they go on the hull, and to finish you can colorize the ship as a whole.

The cockpits are what feel and look similar, despite changes in the hull and equipment. That is both a plus and a minus - changes would keep it fresh, but might change sensor position and make eyeballing stuff in a fight harder.

Spattercat
01-21-2012, 11:34 PM
Alrighty, thanks!

KDR_11k
01-22-2012, 12:33 AM
Anyone know if there's an advantage to civ hulls? I haven't played very far into the hull progression yet (only got a level 2 hull) but the military hulls I've checked so far were better in every displayed stat than the civilian hulls of equal level (and price). Is there some undocumented advantage to civ hulls?

paul1290
01-22-2012, 12:51 AM
Anyone know if there's an advantage to civ hulls? I haven't played very far into the hull progression yet (only got a level 2 hull) but the military hulls I've checked so far were better in every displayed stat than the civilian hulls of equal level (and price). Is there some undocumented advantage to civ hulls?

Military frames are specifically made for combat. There is usually very little to no room for customization on a military frame.
If you try to swap out parts on a military frame you'll quickly find that they can't fit much of anything other than what's already built in.

Civilian frames on the other hand can fit a much wider variety of parts and can be configured for a wider variety of tasks.

burgerss
01-22-2012, 06:42 AM
Civilian hulls get crews. Thats a major difference. Crews make stuff (weapons/repair systems/etc...) work better. I always felt like I was flying the same ship with just different stats.