PDA

View Full Version : Return of the King. PC Gaming's Comeback.

MST3K
01-24-2012, 07:51 AM
It's a long read. But it's good.
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/return_king_why_pc_gaming_making_comeback

If you're lazy here's the tldr version.

PC > Console

Reasons

PC >> Console

bluz74
01-24-2012, 07:55 AM
That is a long article, so basing my opinion on the graphs and images alone, that's a good read!

Nova Prospekt
01-24-2012, 08:00 AM
I actually thought this was gonna be something about HL3.

/sadpanda

Anway, didn't read all of it, but is a good read.

Firestorm998
01-24-2012, 08:02 AM
To be fair, I'd never notice it go anywhere in the first place apart from becoming more homogonized and that doesn't seem to be addressed there.

Archer Kane
SNES = God

noodlesoup
My theory, and this will happen with every console, is that they get old, and some people begin to realise that PC's are FAR superior, and so PC gaming, during the end of a consoles life, will slowly claw its way back, only to get dropkicked to the face when a new console comes out.

NorthernKingdom
01-24-2012, 08:06 AM
Too bad Battlefield 3 is the exception to the multiplatform console port rules that's plaguing PC gamers. PC obviously is in the up swing state due to current gen consoles dragging with older tech but the second the next generation of hardware is released it will shift again. Multiplats are here to stay which means lazy console ports will be the norm for the PC. When Microsoft switches to a new directx api with their console PC gamers will be complaining it's behind what's available to the platform.

Archer Kane
01-24-2012, 08:08 AM
My theory, and this will happen with every console, is that they get old, and some people begin to realise that PC's are FAR superior, and so PC gaming, during the end of a consoles life, will slowly claw its way back, only to get dropkicked to the face when a new console comes out.

I don't think console gaming will die, if in worse case scenario the industry for consoles will just become smaller.

You're forgetting the millions of 7+ year old kids that cry to their mothers for getting an Xbox 360 or PS3, just because they played it at their friends house. I can't imagine them doing the same for PC's (at least for the majority of kids), purely because PC's are much more complicated - its not simple insert cd and play like it is on consoles... This is what intimidates are significant amount of the console audience.

So there will always be that cheap console a kid can pick up and play.

noodlesoup
01-24-2012, 08:17 AM
I don't think console gaming will die, if in worse case scenario the industry for consoles will just become smaller.

You're forgetting the millions of 7+ year old kids that cry to their mothers for getting an Xbox 360 or PS3, just because they played it at their friends house. I can't imagine them doing the same for PC's (at least for the majority of kids), purely because PC's are much more complicated - its not simple insert cd and play like it is on consoles... This is what intimidates are significant amount of the console audience.

So there will always be that cheap console a kid can pick up and play.

I didnt say console gaming would die, just that it would decline steadily after a peak in around the 3rd or so year. The xbox is ancient now, and was already based on dated tech when it first came out.

Infinite XĂr0
01-24-2012, 08:32 AM
well, PC gaming may be getting more of a "comeback" in terms of sales figures, but the vast majority of games coming out these days are still console centric in terms of gameplay design, i.e. everything is still limited to what you can do on a gamepad, and not a M&K.. THAT has to change for there to be a real PC gaming development revival, or a new golden age, or whatever you want to call it..

Levi
01-24-2012, 08:38 AM
Its never really needed a comeback, I've got more PC games now than I know what to do with.

T@F
01-24-2012, 09:23 AM
Prob new consoles will be out soon as sales decline on the consoles and games.
No doubt xbox720(not sure what it will be called) will take the top slot again.
Shame but thats' how i see it tbh.
but it is nice to see better sales on pc games now.

Excygy
01-24-2012, 09:30 AM
Prob new consoles will be out soon as sales decline on the consoles and games.
No doubt xbox720(not sure what it will be called) will take the top slot again.
Shame but thats' how i see it tbh.
but it is nice to see better sales on pc games now.

Almost not once a console made profit when released, Xbox took i think 7 years before making positive profits.

Only Wii, i think, made money since the start, because it was cheap and sold a lot.

iGluttony x
01-24-2012, 09:56 AM
Interesting coming from a Nintendo fanboy, OP. :p

And these types of threads only promote flaming.

BTW, that chart sure poses an... optimistic view of the future. Consoles are only gaining popularity. Almost no one I know in real life games on a PC.

MADDOGGE
01-24-2012, 12:15 PM
He can write what he wants but the consoles not the PC are setting the agenda as to what we get as a PC games. Just as happened to shooters so too will games like Skyrim go with simplified gameplay to fit them to the consoles which are the big money makers and easier to program for. We are no where near any type of PC rebound.

Ployhar says his estimates put the install base of PC gamers at roughly 30 million enthusiasts, another 220 million performance and mainstream gamers, and another 350 million casual gamers.This isn't supported by sales numbers of games. The most sales are still on the consoles.

When games return to being made for the PC's capabilities first and then simplified for the console versions I'll believe in the comeback of the PC. Until then it's marketing BS. Pretty graphics while much appreciated are superficial fluff and do not make a PC version better in the ways that really matter.

soviet_sharkey
01-24-2012, 01:06 PM
What you mean PC gamings comeback
it was also superior
even if consoles have advantage (RDR, Alan Wake before this year ect)

Larry1212
01-24-2012, 01:18 PM
From the first couple of paragraphs it comes off as extremely bias. I'm all for PC gaming and all that but I don't enjoy bias journalism with forced reasoning behind why X is better than Y.

jenovaweapon
01-24-2012, 01:19 PM
PC gaming has always been good

I've actually found the consoles to have the majority of better games today, that's just me though.

skiddlywibble
01-24-2012, 01:20 PM
These articles are clueless. PC gaming never declined, even if the larger companies shifted their focus to consoles; the PC has maintained its position as the launching ground for smaller devs and newer projects since it first gained the position.

alehm
01-24-2012, 01:59 PM
PC Gaming never went away but one thing is for sure 2011 was a great year for PC Gaming.

Getsuga Tensho
01-24-2012, 02:40 PM
From the first couple of paragraphs it comes off as extremely bias. I'm all for PC gaming and all that but I don't enjoy bias journalism with forced reasoning behind why X is better than Y.

This. People just need to accept that PC and consoles are equally as good at what they aim to do. It all comes down to preference, nothing more. PCs are generally capable off doing more tasks and can be upgraded to get games with better graphics but as far as gaming goes with good graphics, both do this very well.

Son, I am derp
01-24-2012, 03:25 PM

The next generation of consoles is going to be almost indistinguishable in terms of featureset from a competent gaming PC. Hell, short of the 6 year old hardware, the current console generation is almost indistinguishable in terms of features. The two sides of this argument have been getting more and more similar for years now. One day they will be two sides of the exact same coin. The good parts of each will survive and the bad parts of each will die off. Some people won't like what's happening on both sides, but it's gonna happen.

Draek
01-24-2012, 04:03 PM
Bleh, it's the same old "PCs have more powerful hardware, therefore have the best graphics!" trash you get from your average h4rdc0r3 g4m3r, but made a whole article out of. Somehow.

Here's the thing: videogame graphics are, for the most part, a solved problem; you can still get improvements, but most people don't give a flyin' about it and will keep playing World of Warcraft and Counter-Strike 1.6, both of which look markedly worse than a 2004 Source-based game, which in turn is nowhere near the tesselated, high-resolution extravaganzas the author is drooling over. And most people don't care.

No, PC gaming will thrive thanks to its ease of development, bringing a multitude of indie studios, and the necessity of its platform for most working professionals, bringing the hardcore titles that cater to them rather than a teenaged audience. But graphics? most of those interested for such shallow reasons will jump back to consoles the moment Sony and Microsoft reveal their next toy, much as they've done in the past. They're irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Rockworm
01-24-2012, 04:49 PM
I see this kind of thing and I just laugh.
PC was never going anywhere.
There were consoles before there will always be consoles.
Do I prefer PC > consoles? yes but I enjoy turning on my PS3 or something older and just enjoying a game.

BFishY
01-24-2012, 05:21 PM
PC gaming left somewhere?

This has always been so :p

TrueBlade
01-24-2012, 05:32 PM
PC Gaming isn't coming back.

It never left.

markcocjin
01-24-2012, 05:59 PM
The title should be:

How baby gamers are growing up and how once-PC gamers are coming back.

Hamster Gutz
01-24-2012, 06:01 PM
The King is dead, long live the King.

Mr.Ceefus
01-24-2012, 06:25 PM
All games, including console games are made on PCs. I'm not worried about it.

Comrade Sugar
01-24-2012, 08:10 PM
Hey hey hey let's not forget CS:GO here!

Living Tribunal
01-25-2012, 12:39 AM
So because PC hardware is selling more at the end of an old consoles life cycle that means it's making a comeback?

lolnope.

I love my PC but i'm not blind.

ΩBSOLETE
01-25-2012, 01:23 AM
It was never in trouble
[Current-Gen]Console still and will suck

(The old ones were cool though. ALL HAIL THE NES)