CLIFFISFTW
01-24-2012, 10:18 AM
?????

cryptload
01-24-2012, 10:24 AM
nope.

HoosTrax
01-24-2012, 10:25 AM
The Daily Deal is definitely worth $5. This game? Not so much.

CLIFFISFTW
01-24-2012, 10:26 AM
That's a shame :(

bobthedeadly
01-24-2012, 10:29 AM
I've heard it's a good game; I want to try it... But not if the PC port is as bad as I've heard. Can anyone give me more info?

cryptload
01-24-2012, 10:29 AM
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2327958 and http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1192&daysprune=-1&order=desc&sort=voteavg

punatic
01-24-2012, 10:30 AM
I boycott the ubisoft DRM crap, it's not even worth a look.

MellonCollie
01-24-2012, 10:45 AM
I boycott the ubisoft DRM crap, it's not even worth a look.

To be fair they did remove the DRM. I think it's a one time DRM now though. But yeah, the game is still REALLY bad.

TheCrippledNewt
01-24-2012, 10:50 AM
That's a shame :(

Ignore the haters. I just bought this game (Before the sale unfortunately) and while it's not worth the $15 asking price due to relative shortness, $5 is a steal. The campaign is rewarding and the challenge mode definitely adds some replay value. Give it a shot. Also, DRM has been pretty much removed apart from the one time activation. And no, I'm not an Ubisoft marketing employee :P.
I've heard it's a good game; I want to try it... But not if the PC port is as bad as I've heard. Can anyone give me more info?

Unfortunately, it is a barebones port with no graphics options and its locked at 30FPS. The gameplay does redeem it though. It's very different from any game I've ever played and unlike even other God Sims. The AI can be a bit obtuse but otherwise, pretty stellar on the gameplay front albeit rather short.

Kvothe
01-24-2012, 10:54 AM
Newt is wrong, I also bought full price when it first came out only to find a (very) shoddy port. Skip this deal

TheInsaneDump
01-24-2012, 11:06 AM
Newt is wrong, I also bought full price when it first came out only to find a (very) shoddy port. Skip this deal

Why is he wrong exactly? Back up your opinion.

//prospective buyer

BadMojo
01-24-2012, 11:20 AM
If not $5....

$2.50?....$1.25?

Free?

bobthedeadly
01-24-2012, 11:23 AM
Unfortunately, it is a barebones port with no graphics options and its locked at 30FPS. The gameplay does redeem it though. It's very different from any game I've ever played and unlike even other God Sims. The AI can be a bit obtuse but otherwise, pretty stellar on the gameplay front albeit rather short.

No graphics options?? Locked at 30 fps???

No. I'll pass on this one for sure.

mrmotinjo
01-24-2012, 11:28 AM
If you are willing to ignore Ubi's bad attempts at DRM integration and subsequent removal, it's a nice game for five bucks. Nothing spectacular, but very pretty-looking and with some nice god-game gimmicks, once you get used to the weird control scheme.
Oh, and it also has a sandbox level once you complete the campaign.

TheCrippledNewt
01-24-2012, 11:46 AM
If you are willing to ignore Ubi's bad attempts at DRM integration and subsequent removal, it's a nice game for five bucks. Nothing spectacular, but very pretty-looking and with some nice god-game gimmicks, once you get used to the weird control scheme.
Oh, and it also has a sandbox level once you complete the campaign.

I forgot to mention the sandbox level. Had loads of fun with that one. The challenge modes can get pretty hard in the later stages. Also, because its a slow game, the 30FPS cap doesn't matter much. Again, not worth $15 but $5 is pretty good.

Qixky
01-24-2012, 12:45 PM
I think 6,5$ aka 5 is a little too much for all the problems and short time mentionned above. I'll wait for a better discount and buy it essentially because it's a Chahi's game. Even if I'm disappointed, I won't have paid much.

RED-FROG
01-24-2012, 01:20 PM
If not $5....

$2.50?....$1.25?

Free?
I will be waiting for 'free' :) (only ~20years to go, haha)

Austin007
01-24-2012, 02:31 PM
How long did it take the average user to finish?

Frost89
01-24-2012, 03:21 PM
One can play through the campaign within a few hours, didn't look much into the challenges because I found them quite boring.

The game doesn't offer a lot... it's mostly about throwing around dirt, water and lava. Don't expect much more, like managing your villages or enemies to fight (other than floods and volcanos). I was a bit disappointed about this, there is a lot of unused potential in the game.

The game itself is worth 5$ in my opinion (not much more though), but beware that it's a crappy console port.

TheKbob
01-24-2012, 03:30 PM
I bought it Day One and was quite pissed. Don't be like me. Don't buy it.

Almck123
01-24-2012, 03:53 PM
Just bought it. Forgot to check the forums beforehand. Can't get past the intro screen.

Mr.Ceefus
01-24-2012, 04:03 PM
Luckily at 5 dollars you won't be too disappointed no matter your opinion on the game. Its much worse dropping $60 on a new and shiny "AAA" title that you end up hating. If it seems interesting enough to you, go for it.

LoqueNahak
01-24-2012, 04:12 PM
Just got it. Is it worth the deal? Yes, it's a pretty good game, I like it. To make it work better, this is what I did:

+ enabled antialiasing (nVidia panel)
+ enabled vertical sync (nVidia panel)
+ mouse speed set to 25 (ingame settings)
+ disabled "move with mouse" option (ingame settings)

The controls are not THAT good, to be honest, but you'll get used to them. Yet another bad porting (hello Skyrim, I still hate your inventory.. booo!). Physics and "atmosphere" are well worth 4,99€.

brataccas
01-24-2012, 04:23 PM
Its a fantastic game, ignore the haters and make your own opinion, I paid full price and dont feel ripped off,

Moragami
01-24-2012, 07:16 PM
I boycott the ubisoft DRM crap, it's not even worth a look. So you've never played Assassin's Creed? Lol! Talk about missing the boat.

uncleruckus
01-24-2012, 08:13 PM
Terrible game. I was hoping for an updated Populous, but it's just a linear little puzzle game.

Fragems
01-24-2012, 09:35 PM
If you have a 360 controller to hook up to your PC its not a bad buy for $5. Im personally enjoying messing around with it. Being able to manipulate the enviornment is quite interesting. I do suggest you play the demo first though it will give you a good feel for the game.

smooth
01-24-2012, 10:58 PM
Terrible game. I was hoping for an updated Populous, but it's just a linear little puzzle game.It's not an updated populous? That's the only reason I was interested in it :( Can you tell me some major differences?

Frost89
01-25-2012, 02:05 AM
It's not an updated populous? That's the only reason I was interested in it :( Can you tell me some major differences?

You mostly guide a few people around by manipulating the environment, to fetch some artifacts or set up new village on predefined spots.
Your population doesn't grow, you only have a set amount of villages. Also, there is no war with other people. It's just you versus the environment. Final goal is to guide your people to the level exit.
As it was said, it's mostly a puzzle game, not really a strategy game.

The Commander
01-25-2012, 02:41 AM
I really was disappointed in this game, I bought it expecting it to be similar to Populous as I read the devs got inspiration from it.
Man was I wrong, it is far from Populous as anything.

If you are looking for a real "strategy/puzzle" game go find
"Populous: The Beginning"

If you want some easy sandbox graphics eye candy game, then waste your $5 on this.

[Goes back to play Populous]

sirflimflam
01-25-2012, 02:42 AM
It's worth $5 to me. It's a short, interesting game. I've always wanted to play it but I didn't want to spend $15 on it.

TheCrippledNewt
01-25-2012, 03:12 AM
I have 10 hours spent on it with everything finished. But that's because I messed around with it after. Someone who wants to finish everything can do it in 7-8 hours.

Raszlo
01-25-2012, 05:52 AM
I bought it and I enjoyed the game. Had no problems with the instalation, didnt notice any DRM etc. It's not a Black & White nor Populous - like said before it's a puzzle game, but it's one of a kind ;) Some levels can be really challenging/frustrating, but I only had to restart 2 of them and no more than 3 times (plus I totally forgot that I can move the totems so it was like + difficulty :P). In the end about 10h gameplay with 100% memories recovered.

If you are a fan of original logic games and/or sandbox gameplay, then get this game ;)

Mr. Bean
01-25-2012, 07:23 AM
YEEES.

Eyeball88
01-25-2012, 12:33 PM
I'm going to go against the grain and say that this game is definitely worth $5. When browsing these threads, always beware of people who can't separate "game politics" from personal opinion: you will find that there are people who will immediately (and quite vocally) destroy any game from certain developers, regardless of merit.

Yes, From Dust is a short game - you could finish it in one or two sittings. Yes, it has very strict limits on what options you can change. Yes, Ubisoft's DRM is terrible (even after its supposed removal.)

But ignoring Ubisoft's interference, this game is a gorgeous blend of light puzzle-solving mixed with God game in the style of Populous. And the tech behind it is amazing; watching natural erosion happen over time, where a single stream of water carves the landscape into a complex delta. This game is in its best form when you let the world around you do its thing, shaping the world over time.

It's not perfect though - it would have greatly benefited from actually building villages to protect, and some sort of resource management - as it is, you don't really get all that attached to the people you are protecting. But for $5? I'd do it just to support Eric Chahi's endeavors, in the hope that he'll be able to use the tech behind this game to build more.

SugarySnax
01-25-2012, 01:23 PM
I've already had 8 hours of fun with this $5 game. So I would say it's worth it. I'll probably get at least another 8 hours so that comes out to less than 32 cents an hour for gaming that isn't like any other gaming I've done. Black and White has some things in common but really this is a lot different.

I would have liked more freedom and a more laid back way of playing. Seems like you have to do what they intend you to do or else you'll die. I'd have liked to build bigger things with the lava, faster but at least in the early game, you can only build so much. I had enjoyed rerouting rivers on some levels, but that ended badly as vegetation grew too widely, lava formed a land bridge and as a result there were constant fires in my village. Much better to make a temporary pass through the river with jellify and get your objective early. Leave the river alone.

PGuybrush
01-25-2012, 01:39 PM
It's a terrible port with bad DRM, don't buy it.

Cipher210
01-25-2012, 02:39 PM
If you have a 360 controller to hook up to your PC its not a bad buy for $5. Im personally enjoying messing around with it. Being able to manipulate the enviornment is quite interesting. I do suggest you play the demo first though it will give you a good feel for the game.

From Dust has a demo? :confused:

PGuybrush
01-25-2012, 07:52 PM
The demo is console-only, I'm pretty sure.

cr7camiao
01-26-2012, 04:55 AM
Would be worth it without the stupid DRM that Ubisoft loves to implement in its damn games.

PGuybrush
01-26-2012, 10:04 AM
No it wouldn't, it's still a bad port.