PDA

View Full Version : 32-Bit or 64-Bit?

Rocktail
01-25-2012, 06:01 PM
So I go onto the Microsoft site to download the Windows 7 Service Pack 1 thing (do I have it?) and when I scroll down the the system requirements, I become so confused. It says an (x86) system is 32-bit and the (x64) system is 64-Bit. My program files folder is "ProgramFiles(x86)". When I go to System unto the control panel, It says I have a 64-bit OS. DxDiag agrees. What the hell is going on here because my head is spinning.
:confused:
Heres the System Information in the DxDiag file:
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 1/22/2012, 15:02:53
Machine name: LEAFPOOL-HP
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 <-(Says I have it right here noob who is writing the article!) (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: HP PAVILION [p6540f]
BIOS: BIOS Date: 09/07/10 09:56:31 Ver: 6.09
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 830 Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 7928MB RAM
Page File: 3335MB used, 12518MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 64bit Unicode

Im following the article to fix my computer from hanging when shutting down.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977307

And this is where I found the screw-up
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/learn-how-to-install-windows-7-service-pack-1-sp1

YahooElite
01-25-2012, 06:04 PM
Firstly, you have Win7 HP 64bit.

Secondly, Yeah it says you already have SP1.

So... what exactly is the problem?

Rocktail
01-25-2012, 06:22 PM
My problem was being confused. And also forgetting to add something, which I fixed now. I have a Program files folder that is "ProgramFiles(x86)" with messing the sentance up. That is the name of the folder.

YahooElite
01-25-2012, 06:26 PM
lol okay.. well are you still confused?

Rocktail
01-25-2012, 06:27 PM
Read what I typed before please... (then edited)

lazy6pyro
01-25-2012, 06:30 PM
You're on a 64bit OS.

You would have 2 program file folders... C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86). Only 64bit applications will install into C:\Program Files, the rest will install into C:\Program Files (x86).

Make more sense?

tr4656
01-25-2012, 06:30 PM
Yes you got a 64 bit system.

YahooElite
01-25-2012, 06:31 PM
You mean hanging while shutting down as in it taking a few moments to shutdown?

if thats the case that could be caused by anything..

Try closing out programs before you turn it off, see if that helps..

Another possibility is that the pagefile is set to be deleted at shutdown(for added security) which would make the shutdown take a bit longer then usual.

Rocktail
01-25-2012, 06:34 PM
It never shuts down. I set my computer to start shutting down in the morning, came back 6 hours later and it still had the same screen. It wont shut down. I have to press the power button just for it to shut down. Sometimes I shut down some processes that arent important to maintain my computer before shutting down, doesnt help. What is a pagefile and how do I set it to be disabled? (or what the crap)

lazy6pyro
01-25-2012, 06:37 PM
It never shuts down. I set my computer to start shutting down in the morning, came back 6 hours later and it still had the same screen. It wont shut down. I have to press the power button just for it to shut down.

Does it restart?

Check and see if there are any errors in event viewer make sure you note the time in which you've attempted to shut it down. To get into event viewer right click on my computer>Manage. Select event viewer and tell us any errors or warnings around the time you attempted to shut down. Also it may be best to post a screenshot of running processes and services when you're running nothing. My current suspicion is that there's a service or a process running that's preventing the shut-down procedure.

YahooElite
01-25-2012, 06:44 PM
Okay, well.. it might be time to reformat your comp then..

If all else fails thats the next thing to do.

Rocktail
01-25-2012, 06:54 PM
Does it restart?

Check and see if there are any errors in event viewer make sure you note the time in which you've attempted to shut it down. To get into event viewer right click on my computer>Manage. Select event viewer and tell us any errors or warnings around the time you attempted to shut down. Also it may be best to post a screenshot of running processes and services when you're running nothing. My current suspicion is that there's a service or a process running that's preventing the shut-down procedure.

Nope it doesnt restart.

and Here are the pictures. I hope photobucket isnt being gake and fay because this is my first time using it. If you have to go to the site, the album password is steamforums. Great password, I know.

Here are the processes (Please ignore Google stuff and Paint.NET because I never have those open when shutting down my computer).
http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l505/rocktail22/Steam%20Forum/Processes.png

And heres the thing from Windows Management:
http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l505/rocktail22/Steam%20Forum/ComputerManagement.png

Gee photobucket, you make the picture smaller than what it actually is.

I dont think I would like to reformat my computer hard drive. I would loose all my crap, which there is alot! But I back up all my crap on an external hard drive. My computer wont be the same.

YahooElite
01-25-2012, 06:58 PM
uhhh..

Off the Bat..

id say you having 79 Processes IS the problem..

Rocktail
01-25-2012, 07:01 PM
uhhh..

Off the Bat..

id say you having 79 Processes IS the problem..

Hmmm, didnt I say to ignore google stuff and paint.NET because I dont have hose programs running before shutting down? 79-14=65. I would have 65 processes running.

YahooElite
01-25-2012, 07:10 PM
It doesnt matter Rock..

Thats an Extreme amount of processes..

Hell, Half of your RAM is being used in the process.

Rocktail
01-25-2012, 07:11 PM
It doesnt matter Rock..

Thats an Extreme amount of processes..

Hell, Half of your RAM is being used in the process.

Hmmm. What processes can I stop without screwing up my computer? Like the important one that have to deal with windows, not the other crap. Like GameBooster and Google Chrome.

I know, just to run my computer. And I have disabled alot of stuff from starting up on Startup.

YahooElite
01-25-2012, 07:15 PM
Since you use Gamebooster, goto that website and Download Advanced System Care 5.

After that we'll go from there.

Rocktail
01-25-2012, 07:20 PM
Since you use Gamebooster, goto that website and Download Advanced System Care 5.

After that we'll go from there.

Well, I have installed it. What next? Also it says that my PC health is poor. I also have HDD Health and it says that my Hard Drive health is 98%, which is good.

YahooElite
01-25-2012, 07:23 PM
For Deep Care, Click View Details

Then scroll down the list and Uncheck Disk Scan, Vuln Fix and Disk Defrag.

Then click Scan Now.

That program also comes with a Startup Manager in the Tool box if you want to check it out after.

zezzex
01-25-2012, 07:34 PM
You're on a 64bit OS.

You would have 2 program file folders... C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86). Only 64bit applications will install into C:\Program Files, the rest will install into C:\Program Files (x86).
Make more sense?

This is not true. Those are just default directory names. When you install an application you are more then welcome to change the directory to anything you want.

the default directory names are really just there to better organzie your 64 and 32 bit applications. The directory names serves no real purpose or meaning.