PDA

View Full Version : 2 Step Phone Verification For Steam

Steven Bogda
01-26-2012, 12:14 PM
After reading about Steam exploring the mobile market and hearing about numerous people getting their accounts hacked, I decided that implementing a similar 2-step verification option inside of Steam may be a good idea.

With 2-step verification enabled in Gmail, your phone gets a text anytime your account is used on a computer that is not your own. Sometimes it can be annoying, but you can easily get used to it.

I am no developer and I have no idea if this is even possible, or worth it. Could this work if added to the Steam log in process?

EDIT: Realized this belongs in the Steam section. I am too used to coming to the TF2 portion! Please move me!

rizl0r
01-26-2012, 12:16 PM
It does still use steamguard 2FA...
but I agree- more protection on mobile is probably a good idea.

Steven Bogda
01-26-2012, 12:24 PM
It does still use steamguard 2FA...
but I agree- more protection on mobile is probably a good idea.

Yeah - Like Steam Guard but instead of just emailing your code to your email address, it send something to your phone too when someone tries to log in from a new computer.

I was hacked a few months ago because they got into my email. Never clicked links, downloaded bogus programs, shared Steam/Gmail info or had similar/weak passwords for any of my accounts. I have been fine since then but would always like more options!

willstroud
01-26-2012, 01:05 PM
Steam guard is made irrelevant on the mobile platform because access to my email is only a touch away. If someone finds my phone they will also find about $3000 worth of PC games.

Rammite
01-26-2012, 01:12 PM
Steam guard is made irrelevant on the mobile platform because access to my email is only a touch away. If someone finds my phone they will also find about $3000 worth of PC games.

This. Not only do I lose my phone, which can be easily and physically taken, I lose my library, with $500 worth of games and another $500 worth of effort/time/hats.

At least email can only be hacked/phished by dedicated nerds, which are relatively small compared to physical thieves.

Steven Bogda
01-26-2012, 02:26 PM
This. Not only do I lose my phone, which can be easily and physically taken, I lose my library, with $500 worth of games and another $500 worth of effort/time/hats.

At least email can only be hacked/phished by dedicated nerds, which are relatively small compared to physical thieves.

So do you think all physical thieves would want your Steam account information if it is sitting in the email inbox that is linked to your smartphone?

I personally have other stuff linked to my smartphone that would cause more damage to me if it fell into the wrong hands. Well, no damage too severe that it would ruin my life or anything but certainly more important than my game line up.

If someone happens to get into my email, change my Steam password and attempt to log in - it would be cool if it suddenly said "please enter the code that has just been sent to your mobile device" like Gmail does. Just seems like it would be a cool extra feature that you can enable much like the way you can enable SG in the settings.

SG didn't help me though.