PDA

View Full Version : User's review on Steam Mobile App (Android)

Nickolaeris
01-28-2012, 03:37 AM
I want to summarize all I've seen in new Steam Mobile App to let everyone know its features I've found.

After first success login, you login and password are saved, and you automatically log in when you start this application. But if you log off your account in Settings, you'll have to type login, password AND Steam Guard password again.
Using Steam Mobile doesn't kick your PC account, it still stays online. Also, you can run Steam Mobile on several devices at the same time (tried PC+Android Phone+Android Tablet), they're not kicking each other.
Steam Mobile works on Tablets, though it's not optimized - it looks like phone version. Expected more from it, really.

Chat - works fine, though some features, like "Show item from inventory" are not working. Seems that chat tends to save some history - when I started application again, it loaded 3 messages from previous session - couldn't find a button to read all history, though. When chatting, your messages are duplicating on all devices with Mobile client running, when you get messages - they appear on all clients online (PC and Mobile).

Shop - looks good for now. But still there are some issues with it - game lists are not splitted on pages (that's good), but you can see not more than 20 results - don't know how it'll work when there will be more than 20 games on sale. "Search" works - its button is in top-right corner, as in Android Market. You can search by name, genre, and games with prices below $5-10 - but with above mentioned limit, not more than 20 results. Search results by genre and price are split on Popular, New and Discounted.

Library and Inventory - there is no way to see games neither in your library, nor in inventory. Only your Recent games and Wishlist. No Steam Trading without Inventory, of course.

Cart - seems to work like in normal, desktop version.

Settings - not much useful there, like Date of Birth and Notification settings. Only useful thing is that you can log off your account there, for better security. Language of Mobile Application seems to be set in Desktop Steam Setting, which are not yet available in Mobile version (though there is button for them, it's not working).

News and Publications - looks good:)

I think that's all for now, if I find anything else - I'll write it in this topic. Hope this will be useful for other users.

halbarad_loire
01-28-2012, 03:41 AM
A fair review and mostly in line with what I think. Considering the mobile app is only in it's first 48 hours of Beta i'm impressed with it.
There are some missing things and some things that can be improved and you've covered most of em, just a case of giving it some time.

I was using it on my galaxy tab 10.1 last night for a few hours, no major complaints here really.

Nickolaeris
01-28-2012, 10:51 AM
Back at home, some addition to this topic:

There was no notification that I'm allowed to participate in beta test - I only got notification in Steam that there is 1 new item in my inventory (giftable invitation). When I tried to add it to my library, Steam said that I already have it - so I've started using mobile app.

Gestures don't work in Steam Mobile, only buttons.

Works well on 3G and Wi-Fi.

Even if you have set your status as "Offline" in Desktop Steam, you'll receive messages from your friends on it too. When you're online only from mobile, your status is "Online from Mobile Device".

Mokagogo
01-29-2012, 01:54 AM
Hey Nicko, thanks for sharing! Just thought I'd chip in my 2 cents -- I just got access to the app and have posted a review with pictures at:

http://www.davidmidgley.net/2012/01/review-of-steam-mobile-app-for-iphone/

Enjoy!

Nickolaeris
01-29-2012, 04:37 AM
Hey Nicko, thanks for sharing! Just thought I'd chip in my 2 cents -- I just got access to the app and have posted a review with pictures at:

http://www.davidmidgley.net/2012/01/review-of-steam-mobile-app-for-iphone/

Enjoy!

Thank for your reveiew! Seems like both versions of app are on the same stage of development, with same features, and maybe even bugs:)