PDA

View Full Version : Valve has the potential to revolutionize and capture the mobile gaming market.

Z Overlord
01-28-2012, 01:10 PM
*I define Mobile games as iOS, Android, WP7, etc games. Not 3DS or PS Vita

Think about it, with no clear direction or standard for mobile games, and only a handful of traditional titles being ported to mobile platforms, Valve has the opportunity to grab the mobile market for itself.

What Valve should consider doing:

-Releasing a mobile version of Steamworks, allowing all the wonderful Steamworks features we know and love to happen on Mobile titles.

-Release some Mobile titles, not only for the sake of immediate profit but also as "model games" for other developers who wish to use Steamworks.

-Be strict with quality control for games allowed to use Steamworks.

-Rather than trying to adapt games made for hardware controls to touchscreens and thus get wonky results, perhaps make games that actually feel "right" on touchscreens.

Solutions to known problems or possible roadblocks:

-Apple Appstore: There are other services like Openfeint which do showcase games in the Openfeint app, they just redirect to the Apple Appstore. No biggie, as they still use Openfeint.

-Fragmentation and hardware compatibility: Focus on quality over quantity, usability over graphics and showing off, service over complex controls or gameplay. Who cares if the game is 2D sprites, if it plays well on most phones, is easy to control, and has good Steamworks integration, people will flock to it.

-"Hardcore games don't work on phones!": Try to offer something new, rather than releasing yet another puzzle game or coin collecting time limit title, try a game that has a traditional campaign and level design, but still easy to pick up and get into. Look at allot of the popular indie titles on Steam, those are easy to get into, but they aren't just "replay similar levels, get high score".

Anyone else have something to say? Share your input, whether you support the idea of Steamworks Mobile games, and what you envision as the future of Steam on Mobile.

Z Overlord
01-30-2012, 01:24 PM
Of course for now we have to wait for it to leave beta

Ge_ku
01-30-2012, 01:28 PM
I guess Apple won't let Valve to sell games for ios? Anyway, my phone is on android :)

Tito Shivan
01-30-2012, 02:05 PM
I guess Apple won't let Valve to sell games for ios? Anyway, my phone is on android :)

That's the main issue i can see with iOS. Apple will want a cut of the deal, if they give permission to Valve to sell games at all. Actually the Applestore is the only way of buying games for the phone. Valve enters as a late competitor in the iOS market and Apple has the higher ground on it.

maneaterhp
01-30-2012, 02:51 PM
Id like to see some of those simple games on steam be also available on the android, e.g. LIMBO, Shank, Aquaria, Gish, Blocks that Matter, VVVVVVV, Super Meat Boy - You get the idea what type of games im on about.

Z Overlord
01-30-2012, 03:43 PM

Even if Apple won't let Valve sell apps, that doesn't stop apps from using Steamworks.

Mangr0v3
01-30-2012, 04:00 PM
It does when Steamworks currently uses IPC.

Z Overlord
02-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Valve could also add a forum into the app

DigChrono
02-06-2012, 02:24 PM
I REALLY hope this is what Steam Mobile becomes, instead of just an arm of the desktop version. I would love to be able to buy mobile games through steam, but apple would definitely want a cut, and google might object because of their contracts with developers in the android market.

aavil
02-06-2012, 02:43 PM
I wish had it on my bada os :(

GreenSmoke
02-06-2012, 03:00 PM
I doubt it will happen anytime soon *valve-time* being able to buy/play mobile games via steam. However I wouldn't mind some cheesy arcade-ish free games in the future. (Whether part of steam mobile or as a free standalone download from app store). Perhaps mobile versions of some mini-games within valves games. The Dark Carnival mini-games from L4D2 for example.

BigNutter
02-06-2012, 03:00 PM
For some obscure reason, I can see a Pokéwalker type program based for TF2.. or some other game. http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/PokeWalker

I know at least one Facebook games allows limited interactivity when on a phone's webbrowser.

Amy
02-06-2012, 03:19 PM
I will certainly change my iPhone to an iSteam if they release a mobile OS.

Steam have a huge possiblity to break the huge part of market of Apple IMO.

masterchef341
02-06-2012, 03:20 PM
*I define Mobile games as iOS, Android, WP7, etc games. Not 3DS or PS Vita

Think about it, with no clear direction or standard for mobile games, and only a handful of traditional titles being ported to mobile platforms, Valve has the opportunity to grab the mobile market for itself.

What Valve should consider doing:

-Releasing a mobile version of Steamworks, allowing all the wonderful Steamworks features we know and love to happen on Mobile titles.

-Release some Mobile titles, not only for the sake of immediate profit but also as "model games" for other developers who wish to use Steamworks.

-Be strict with quality control for games allowed to use Steamworks.

-Rather than trying to adapt games made for hardware controls to touchscreens and thus get wonky results, perhaps make games that actually feel "right" on touchscreens.

Solutions to known problems or possible roadblocks:

-Apple Appstore: There are other services like Openfeint which do showcase games in the Openfeint app, they just redirect to the Apple Appstore. No biggie, as they still use Openfeint.

-Fragmentation and hardware compatibility: Focus on quality over quantity, usability over graphics and showing off, service over complex controls or gameplay. Who cares if the game is 2D sprites, if it plays well on most phones, is easy to control, and has good Steamworks integration, people will flock to it.

-"Hardcore games don't work on phones!": Try to offer something new, rather than releasing yet another puzzle game or coin collecting time limit title, try a game that has a traditional campaign and level design, but still easy to pick up and get into. Look at allot of the popular indie titles on Steam, those are easy to get into, but they aren't just "replay similar levels, get high score".

Anyone else have something to say? Share your input, whether you support the idea of Steamworks Mobile games, and what you envision as the future of Steam on Mobile.

I think even though you stated that you want valve to offer steamworks for mobile, you are describing a desire for Valve to develop and publish mobile games. Creating a steamworks implementation for mobiles wouldn't make much sense. You have to keep in mind that openfeint was created before Apple implemented those features into iOS. Now, OpenFeint is used in some games, new games tend to use the built in iOS features. Steamworks would be the third redundant technology. It wouldn't give Steam any marketshare, unless they were selling steamworks as a paid service. They absolutely would not be able to take any sales away from the app store. Apple has that locked down by mandate, not competition.

Maybe they could do this for android. But I don't think there is a vast untapped market for mobile storefronts, which is how Valve is making bank on the desktop.

Bierno
02-06-2012, 04:03 PM
well i have Onlive on my phone?
so why cant steam do this?

masterchef341
02-06-2012, 05:31 PM
well i have Onlive on my phone?
so why cant steam do this?

because steam isn't a cloud gaming platform that runs games in the cloud and then pushes the video stream out to users.

You might as well ask why steam doesn't make you breakfast, or answer your emails for you.

Scared
02-06-2012, 07:25 PM
Valve enters as a late competitor in the iOS market and Apple has the higher ground on it.

Apple doesn't have the higher ground on iOS. They own the whole freaking land!

shado028
02-06-2012, 09:20 PM
TL;DR. It is a good idea and I can see where you're coming from, but:

Good luck getting Apple to allow Valve to put games on iOS devices (without going through the App Store), ha.

And for Android... I feel the Market already does the job in terms of buying games/apps, and since it also keeps everything updated, if steam were to do this... I would feel exactly the same as if I installed Origin and Steam on my computer... Two programs that do the same thing when there should be one.

Left 4 bread
02-06-2012, 09:28 PM
limbo for android perhaps?

masterchef341
02-06-2012, 11:18 PM
And for Android... I feel the Market already does the job.

This.

Even on android, there isn't some huge potential market to capture in terms of game publishing. It's already well established as the android marketplace.

jamieoscar
02-07-2012, 01:39 AM
Valve should release their own phone!! Solves problems with IOS legal issues =p

Mangr0v3
02-07-2012, 01:41 AM
ye-no.

Z Overlord
02-07-2012, 10:29 AM
because steam isn't a cloud gaming platform that runs games in the cloud and then pushes the video stream out to users.

You might as well ask why steam doesn't make you breakfast, or answer your emails for you.

Big picture mode is gonna bring cloud gaming as a feature to Steam (not officially confirmed yet).

And I never said they have to sell Steameworks titles through the Steam app. But them making their own mobile games with Steam achievements would be nice.

nu1mlock
02-07-2012, 12:20 PM
and google might object because of their contracts with developers in the android market.

No they won't. There are already different stores besides Google's own market and Google is just fine with it. Apple isn't though and it will most likely never happen on iOS.

RedYellowBlueCR
02-07-2012, 01:12 PM
Apple doesn't have the higher ground on iOS. They own the whole freaking land!

And this is one of the MANY faults of of the apple platform. No offence to the iphone users here, but I really wish apple would just drive off a cliff and die already. They are way too restrictive of what you are allowed to do on they're hardware, that of which is subpar in most cases. And the fact that they charge so much for a mediocre machine is just ludacris in my book. I think Valve really needs to focus on the Google Android platform in terms of mobile devices, even though I'm not terribly fond of mobile gaming. Google will let Valve do as they wish because of the open nature of Android.

nu1mlock
02-07-2012, 01:45 PM
And this is one of the MANY faults of of the apple platform. No offence to the iphone users here, but I really wish apple would just drive off a cliff and die already. They are way to restrictive of what you are aloud to do on they're hardware, that of which is subpar in most cases. And the fact that they charge so much for a mediocre machine is just ludacris in my book. I think Valve really needs to focus on the Google Android platform in terms of mobile devices, even though I'm not terribly fond of mobile gaming. Google will let Valve do as they wish because of the open nature of Android.

I'm an Android user myself but I have been using both the first iPhone and the iPhone 3G.

The good thing about Apple "being in charge" and not letting anything in on the Appstore is that "it just works". And it usually does (with a few exceptions which is off-topic).

Google usually doesn't (unless there's an obvious virus/scam/etc) and lets developers upload almost anything to their market. And that's also a good thing about Android.

When it comes to Valve, Steam and Android, Steam will be able to sell games through their application if they want. Or through a separate "Android Steam Store". It's fine with Google, just as you said.

However, seeing Apple is the worlds third biggest phone manufacturer, and the worlds biggest smartphone manufacturer, I'm sure Valve would want to get their hands on iOS too. And unless they come to an agreement with Apple regarding the sales, that's never - and I mean never - going to happen.

One of the problems with Steam + Apple is that Apple wants in on it. That would mean Steam would have to take a bigger cut from the developers (on the mobile market), which means developers would either have to increase their prices or go with less revenue.

It would most probably just be easier to put their application on the Apple Store instead.

Regarding Android, that's a whole other thing, as it would be allowed and such a problem wouldn't exist.