PDA

View Full Version : How exactly does the Steam app work in conjunction with the desktop client?

mk3
01-28-2012, 04:04 PM
So if I know a friend has the app installed, does that mean that they will always appear as online? Even if they aren't logged on to Steam on their PC? Or do they at least need to have the app running 24/7 on their phone?

If not, you should try to make the app more like Google+ or Kik messenger or any other app where the user can always receive a message because there is a minimal background process running to receive push notifications.

Haven't been able to find any info on this.

Essentially. the functionality I'm looking for is when I message a group of friends to start a gaming session from the PC all those online on the PC will get the message as normal, and all those not logged in to the PC client (who have the mobile app installed) will get the message through the app (similair to receiving a text message) even if the app is closed. Whether the user is displayed as online or not when they only have the app installed (ie not logged into the PC client) isn't really that important.

TWIN_SUNS
01-28-2012, 04:14 PM
Steam shows a person as either:
a) Online (Standard just PC)
b) Online on Mobile (Mobile)
c) Online, Mobile (Both)

AFAIK steam mobile runs constantly in the background of your phone unless you tell it otherwise.

mk3
01-28-2012, 05:01 PM
Steam shows a person as either:
a) Online (Standard just PC)
b) Online on Mobile (Mobile)
c) Online, Mobile (Both)

AFAIK steam mobile runs constantly in the background of your phone unless you tell it otherwise.

Cool, thanks, most of my steam friends are actually away this weekend (which ironically is when they could use the app most) so I haven't even been able to test it yet really.