PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Prices

bassjason
01-29-2012, 07:40 AM
Thanks partly to Steam I'm quickly running low on disk space and will soon need to purchase an additional drive. Has there been any word on when prices are expected to drop back to normal?

dosbox
01-29-2012, 08:19 AM
http://techreport.com/discussions.x/22375

Ajezard
01-29-2012, 09:57 AM
Word of warning if you are planning on buying a Hard-drive, Steam games will only install into the Steam location. So you can't install games across multiple hard drives. I would suggest buying a large hard-drive just for Steam games if you have alot.

On the subject of prices I have no idea when the prices are bound to drop down again but my best guess is that they would drop sometime this easter.

TeKraken
01-29-2012, 10:05 AM
I reckon it's still 6-9 months away from being okay prices.

It will be cheaper just to uninstall some things.
Perhaps copy the data files to a dvd or something so you dont have to download everything again...

rotNdude
01-29-2012, 10:09 AM
Steam games will only install into the Steam location. So you can't install games across multiple hard drives.

Not necessarily true.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/howto_master_your_file_system_mklink

Ajezard
01-29-2012, 10:21 AM
Not necessarily true.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/howto_master_your_file_system_mklink

Wow didn't know that. I might just have to get an SSD now I know I could run only my best games off it without having to move the whole of steam.

Glixzor
01-29-2012, 11:02 AM
Right now is probably not the best time to buy hard-drives.
I bought a 1TB hard drive a couple of months ago for 90$ (I'm pretty sure it wasn't on sale) and now it's 210$, including a 50$ discount. Apparently it has something to do with shortages in hard drives. You should probably wait a bit like TeKraken said.

Offender_Mullet
01-29-2012, 11:13 AM
Thanks partly to Steam I'm quickly running low on disk space and will soon need to purchase an additional drive. Has there been any word on when prices are expected to drop back to normal?
Some will tell you "flooding in Thailand". Well, my Hitachi 2TB hard drive was made in China....and last time I checked, China wasn't in Thailand. :) Hitachi are also riding the excuse bandwagon. Looks like they missed an opportunity to take a huge chunk of the market share. Instead, their prices are jacked-up also.

bassjason,

There's no sense in wasting $$$ on a mechanical hard drive right now.

dosbox
01-29-2012, 11:15 AM
Some will tell you "flooding in Thailand". Well, my Hitachi 2TB hard drive was made in China....and last time I checked, China wasn't in Thailand. :) Hitachi are also riding the excuse bandwagon. Looks like they missed an opportunity to take a huge chunk of the market share. Instead, their prices are jacked-up also.

bassjason,

WD and Seagate own the majority of the HD market, and their plants are in Thailand. Limted supply from the big two mean supply constraints affect everyone.

TeKraken
01-29-2012, 11:27 AM

And that is the problem - there are a limited supply.

Agreed!!

rotNdude
01-29-2012, 11:33 AM
The drive manufacturers will continue to provide supplies to Enterprise customers first, then OEM builders, and finally the general market. I don't see the supply of hard drives for the general market being met until later this year or early next year.

bassjason
01-29-2012, 11:52 AM
As much as I want to wait it out, I'm thinking I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet. I'm running out of space fast and have alot of junk that needs to be backed up... I found a 3 TB Caviar Green for $190, that's not TOO terrible is it? (I only need it for storage)

Ajezard
01-29-2012, 12:02 PM
Im in the UK and got my 1 TB Hard-Drive for 34.99 pounds last year, not even on sale! I had to buy one for someone just before christmas snd the same drive at the same store now costs 89.99 pounds wich is over double the price!

Offender_Mullet
01-29-2012, 12:53 PM
I assume dosbox brought up Seagate in his post, however their plants were not affected in the Thailand floods.

And that is the problem - there are a limited supply.
You would think they would have ramped-up production after the Thailand issues though. Maybe the sweat shops over there allow for only a certain number to be manufactured a month. :)

As much as I want to wait it out, I'm thinking I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet. I'm running out of space fast and have alot of junk that needs to be backed up... I found a 3 TB Caviar Green for $190, that's not TOO terrible is it? (I only need it for storage)
For $40 more this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148844

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1310560&CatId=4357

TigerDirect has free shipping on that drive. NewEgg does not.

That would be a better choice compared to that WD Green. Faster performance, 1TB platters. I wouldn't normally recommend a Seagate hard drive, but this particular one looks like a very solid performer in all the reviews I've seen and will most likely be my next purchase.

dosbox
01-29-2012, 12:57 PM
I assume dosbox brought up Seagate in his post, however their plants were not affected in the Thailand floods.

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=thailand-operations-flood-seagate-pr&vgnextoid=ee6d23472b9f2310VgnVCM1000001a48090aRCRD

However, the hard disk drive component supply chain is being disrupted and it is expected that certain components in the supply chain will be constrained.

In short, your understanding about logistics and supply chain management seems to be lacking.

You would think they would have ramped-up production after the Thailand issues though. Maybe the sweat shops over there allow for only a certain number to be manufactured a month. :)

:rolleyes:

venomblade89
01-29-2012, 01:16 PM
Word of warning if you are planning on buying a Hard-drive, Steam games will only install into the Steam location. So you can't install games across multiple hard drives. I would suggest buying a large hard-drive just for Steam games if you have alot.

On the subject of prices I have no idea when the prices are bound to drop down again but my best guess is that they would drop sometime this easter.

http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover

Offender_Mullet
01-29-2012, 01:23 PM
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=thailand-operations-flood-seagate-pr&vgnextoid=ee6d23472b9f2310VgnVCM1000001a48090aRCRD

All I said was their actual facilities weren't affected, meaning under water. That is a fact.

January 04, 2012

While the floods had a relatively negative impact on Seagate due to shortages of some components, Seagate's hard drive manufacturing facilities were virtually untouched.

Seagate on Wednesday updated its third fiscal quarter outlook, reporting that it expects hard drive shipments to increase over its second fiscal quarter, revenue of $4.2 billion to $4.5 billion, and gross margin of 33 percent of revenue.

For its third fiscal quarter of 2011, Seagate reported shipping 49 million disk drives, revenue of $2.7 billion, and gross margin of 19.1 percent.

Link: http://www.crn.com/news/storage/232301309/unscathed-by-thailand-floods-seagate-raises-q3-revenue-guidance-60-percent.htm
January 23, 2012

While Western Digital was hurt by the flooding, the Thai facilities of rival Seagate Inc. (STX) remained intact during the flooding, giving it an advantage. Seagate also has benefited from higher pricing and longer-term contracts with customers, leading it last month to lift its revenue outlook for the fiscal second and third quarters. Seagate reports fiscal second-quarter results next week.

Link: http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20120123-712103.html
Again, more recent articles (there are quite a few more) than one which is months old. When you Google, try setting it to "one month" (or less) in the search settings. Just a tip my friend. It's actually more fun having you un-blocked now. I forgot how enlightening your posts are.

dosbox
01-29-2012, 01:36 PM
All I said was their actual facilities weren't affected, meaning under water. That is a fact.

Facilities that depend on parts that are manufactured by other companies - whose facilities are also in Thailand. It's a similar situation as affected Honda and Toyota plants in North America after the nuclear accident in Japan. Hence "logistics" and "supply chain management".

Sure, they may have recovered more quickly, but the global supply crunch remains.

Again, more recent articles (there are quite a few more) than one which is months old.

How long did it take New Orleans to recover from Katrina again? Yeah.

It's actually more fun having you un-blocked now

LOL - couldn't stand the heat huh?

Offender_Mullet
01-29-2012, 01:57 PM
lol Heat? No. You provide me entertainment with posts like:
How long did it take New Orleans to recover from Katrina again? Yeah.
where others do not. Got kinda boring actually. ;)

And I visited New Orleans a few times pre-Katrina and it was a dump even then. Besides the 'entertainment', their convention center was juuuuust picking up steam attracting more tradeshows (like Florida/Las Vegas have been the past few years since everyone has been leaving Chicago venues due to overall high show prices) and then the disaster hit. Sometimes things just happen.

dosbox
01-29-2012, 03:40 PM
lol Heat? No. You provide me entertainment with posts like:

I'm happy to oblige. Pointing out misleading statements is fun, especially when it's so easy. ;)

Point being, it takes awhile for flood recovery - especially in a country with a per-capita GDP that's a quarter of the US.

Anyhow, a general return to previous levels of productivity is expected in the first quarter of the year: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-16297395

Add on shipment times and fulfilment backlogs and my guess is prices will return to normal in the middle of the year.

cr1515
01-29-2012, 04:02 PM
Prices are already coming down. How long it will take to come all the way down I don't know, but I can get a 2TB Black Sata III right now for about $80 less than it cost 2 weeks ago

Offender_Mullet
01-29-2012, 08:10 PM
I'm happy to oblige. Pointing out misleading statements is fun, especially when it's so easy. ;)

Point being, it takes awhile for flood recovery - especially in a country with a per-capita GDP that's a quarter of the US.

Anyhow, a general return to previous levels of productivity is expected in the first quarter of the year: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-16297395

Add on shipment times and fulfilment backlogs and my guess is prices will return to normal in the middle of the year.
The 2 said company's facilities weren't damaged. That's all I said. Those are facts. *yawners* We all know you're a Google Master and will cite random things, so keep it up.....just please shorten your search window. If not for me, then for the children of Thailand who can no longer make hard drives for $0.000001 a day.

If I were you, I'd pay more attention to real business sites/papers/shows, instead of just a BBC short on the flooding. You'll get a better gauge of when things might get back to normal. And by the Second Quarter? Not very likely. So, "my guess is" that won't be at the very least until 4Q 2012. And you know what season it is during that quarter right? Hope so....

Bad_Motha
01-29-2012, 11:33 PM
Wow didn't know that. I might just have to get an SSD now I know I could run only my best games off it without having to move the whole of steam.

Or have Steam installed to SSD, along with your OS and simply have all your Steam games backed up to a secondary HDD, then copy ones you wish to play over to the Steam folder on the SSD.

smellykaka
01-29-2012, 11:52 PM
SteamMover makes it even easier.

MohoMine
01-29-2012, 11:56 PM
Thanks partly to Steam I'm quickly running low on disk space

Most curious. How could a service where all your games are available for a download at any time you wish cause you to run out of space on your HDD?

ronss
01-30-2012, 12:38 AM
flood or something effected the hard drive manufacturing...i had a seagate, dead, and i sent it in a couple days for replacement, still under warranty...the partial reason for me doing all the mess to get it rma,s was because of the prices at the moment....frys electronis here in phoenix was only selling one drive for customer, shortage i quess

TeKraken
01-30-2012, 01:41 AM
a friend of mine suggested buying an old sky tv box and using the 500gb sata drive out of that.

Bad_Motha
01-30-2012, 02:15 AM
Or buying an external drive, which haven't really gone up in price like the other internal drives have. So you could easily buy one of those, take it apart and have yourself an internal drive to use, not to mention an external enclosure. Problem is though anytime you take apart any type of external drive of any kind, you completely void the warranty. So be mindful of that.

bassjason
01-30-2012, 06:54 AM
Most curious. How could a service where all your games are available for a download at any time you wish cause you to run out of space on your HDD?

Yeah, I should delete all my games and just wait for a 2-3 hour download every time I want to play something :rolleyes:

MohoMine
01-30-2012, 07:38 AM
Yeah, because you're playing all of them all the time. :rolleyes:

freakn1ck
01-30-2012, 12:57 PM
my hard drive has been going bad for a while. finally started giving me popups in windows. :( i hope my current one can hang on til prices drop.

chaplain_wu
01-30-2012, 01:59 PM
Yeah, I should delete all my games and just wait for a 2-3 hour download every time I want to play something :rolleyes:

Technically you can just copy the steam cache files manually so you wouldn't need to re-download. Of course you can't play those games, but still, its one way to preserve files. And if you really want to play them again, move them back into steamapps. At worse you might ahve to spend a little while to have Steam update them.

Not as convenient as spending $200 on a 2TB drive but...

Ad for HDD prices, if I was WD's CEO I'd ask myself why should I lower prices after the best excuse for price hike just came around. What are the consumers gonna do? Stop buying them and spend just as much on smaller SSDs? They got no choice nor can't stand having lower quality (re size) drives. A business just successfully manufactured a need.