PDA

View Full Version : Gmod Crashes On Startup And Shows "hl2.exe Has Stopped Working"

Goldbrain
01-29-2012, 03:12 PM
I Got Garry's Mod A Couple days Ago And I still Can't Play It Because It Crashes At The Startup Screen Then Opens A Message Saying "hl2.exe Has Stopped Working" I Verifiyed The Game Catche I Defragmented The Game And Uninstalled It And Reinstalled It But Nothing Happens It Still Keeps Crashing At The Startup screen My PC can run TF2 And CSS DoD:S And Portal But i dont know why it crashes garry's mod can anyone help.

truemisfit
01-30-2012, 07:32 AM
Ya know, I had the same problem for a while.

If you wanna take the same steps I did to get it working just do this, right click on Garry's Mod in Steam and then click properties. Now open "set launch options" and put this in there: -dxlevel 8

Made everything work fine for me.

sporeguy
01-30-2012, 06:26 PM
Use 81, 8 is buggy

wooohooo!
01-31-2012, 04:17 PM
Solutions
1.you are a pirate

2.mods

3.damaged maps

4.pirated TF2 or any other games

5.messing with the files

th 2 most likelys is you are a pirate or mods

sporeguy
01-31-2012, 06:43 PM
Woohoo, you have absoloutely no experiance with this so dont post. This issue is caused usually by sucky graphics

Goldbrain
02-02-2012, 09:17 PM
I Fixed My GMOD I Put DXLevel At 85 and it worked

merp4life
02-04-2012, 08:34 PM
I Got Garry's Mod A Couple days Ago And I still Can't Play It Because It Crashes At The Startup Screen Then Opens A Message Saying "hl2.exe Has Stopped Working" I Verifiyed The Game Catche I Defragmented The Game And Uninstalled It And Reinstalled It But Nothing Happens It Still Keeps Crashing At The Startup screen My PC can run TF2 And CSS DoD:S And Portal But i dont know why it crashes garry's mod can anyone help.

Solutions
1.you are a pirate

Do What You Want Cuz' A Pirate Is Free. (Such As Capitalizing The Beginning Of Every Word.)
Seriously though.
I've been getting this from time to time, what works for me is to go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\STEAMUSERNAME\garrysmod and deleting the hl2.exe file. when you start up Gmod, it will re-download the exe from the Steam servers. :) Hope this helps. Just in case it happens again, this MAY work at a higher DirectX level btw, I use DirectX 9.1 and it works fine.

ericL
02-06-2012, 05:24 PM
Do What You Want Cuz' A Pirate Is Free. (Such As Capitalizing The Beginning Of Every Word.)
Seriously though.
I've been getting this from time to time, what works for me is to go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\STEAMUSERNAME\garrysmod and deleting the hl2.exe file. when you start up Gmod, it will re-download the exe from the Steam servers. :) Hope this helps. Just in case it happens again, this MAY work at a higher DirectX level btw, I use DirectX 9.1 and it works fine.

Tried this, didnt work for me. Using w7, ati radeon hd 5970 gpu.

sporeguy
02-08-2012, 03:17 AM
Ok, that thing should run mod, there is no such thing as directx 85, use 81

cooleokid
02-08-2012, 12:33 PM
Solutions
1.you are a pirate

2.mods

3.damaged maps

4.pirated TF2 or any other games

5.messing with the files

th 2 most likelys is you are a pirate or mods

Pirating a game has nothing to do with how well it runs, nor do the maps and mods.

iamthepooper
09-06-2012, 07:40 PM
I'm having this same problem but i was just playing gmod earlier today. what the ♥♥♥♥.

iamthepooper
09-06-2012, 07:42 PM
I'm having this same problem but i was just playing gmod earlier today. what the ♥♥♥♥.

wait. i tried the dx81 in launch options and it works. thanks.

EDIT: Didn't work. got to a server motd then hl2.exe stopped responding

Talcon
09-06-2012, 10:02 PM
Glad to know it's not just me, it keeps crashing when I join a server. I was able to join one once I removed all my launch options, but now it doesn't even matter it will crash no matter what.

Thrownoff
09-06-2012, 10:50 PM
it started happening to me today as well, I think Garry ♥♥♥♥ed us over with a broken update

Zekiran
09-07-2012, 12:26 AM
Every few days there are a lot more people who can't run the game correctly no matter the fixes.

Gmod 12 seems to be broken pretty badly for some people - though not all.

Try the suggested fixes, including the standard Verify Your Files and Restart Steam trick. If those don't work, have patience with Garry and hope that G13 works when it drops.

ki11er90
09-07-2012, 11:15 AM
A new update just rolled out yesterday which broke it for a bunch of people and it sounds like guy who runs it is out of town :/

Zekiran
09-07-2012, 11:56 AM
Garry is working on Gmod 13. I cannot expect that he'd be frantic to put 12 updates and fixes out, when the bigger and newer (and hopefully functional) version is literally 2 weeks away.

gmann256
09-07-2012, 03:41 PM
type in console this before you join a server

vgui_allowhtml 0

Hyperion01
11-13-2012, 08:57 AM
I tried the -dxlevel 8, 81 and 85, but it always crashed. I even tried to restart Steam and delete the HL2.exe, still no luck. It worked fine yesterday but today I came home, started GMod, but it crashed in 5 seconds after the blue screen appeared (not death) and I have no idea why it suddenly stopped working. I didn't even see an update being downloaded yesterday/tomorrow, which could break it.

I use a [color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color]ty Acer Aspire 5349 laptop. Well, maybe not [color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color]ty, although I don't like Acer, just not good for games because of it's integrated graphics. However, it runs GMod or CSS at maximum model and texture details, other settings are on low/mid. I hope I won't need to be without GMod for the whole week, till I come back home to my PC with 2.2Ghz single core AMD Athlon and HD4650 (1gb) which runs it nicely, just RP sometimes laggs.

And by the way, will my custom folders and menu management in GMod 13 gets saved to Steam and automatically downloaded to my other PC? And is it possible to disable the sync function for controls?

Zekiran
11-13-2012, 09:56 AM
You will need to manually update all your downloaded items to the other computer, if you're using two. Steamcloud only saves minimal information, not entire directories.

Right now, Gmod IS broken. For nearly everyone, what I've seen here. I'm also not positive that using dx8 will help any more, it might not be supported but that's something you should check on Facepunch directly.

Fluctorissia
11-13-2012, 10:24 AM
Mine G-mod also crashes on startup. Two months ago I bought a new laptop and I think I've tried G-mod before on it and it worked, but I'm not sure. When I launch the game a blue loading screen briefly appears then a message "hl2.exe has stopped working" appears. Verifying game files, deleting and redownloading hl2.exe and putting various DX levels didn't help.
Here are my specs if it helps (I don't think it will, I can run G-mod on a much worse 5 years old laptop)
Intel Core i3 2350M
4GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce G630M 1GB

Right now, Gmod IS broken. For nearly everyone, what I've seen here. I'm also not positive that using dx8 will help any more, it might not be supported but that's something you should check on Facepunch directly.
If there are more people suddently affected by this, I guess I'll just wait for a patch then.

Zekiran
11-13-2012, 11:14 AM
Once you've had Gmod for a while you will notice the pattern. Everything that breaks eventually gets at least a kind of fix, but then usually something ELSE will break. Has ALWAYS been this way.

cpnjacksparrow
11-13-2012, 12:21 PM
I did everything that is noted on this post... and nothing helps.

Should we wait for upgrade or look for solution?

Fluctorissia
11-13-2012, 12:34 PM
Once you've had Gmod for a while you will notice the pattern. Everything that breaks eventually gets at least a kind of fix, but then usually something ELSE will break. Has ALWAYS been this way.

I have gmod for almost a year now, but hadn't been using it often, so that's probably the reason I am so curious about this :D
Anyway, Steam has downloaded a 100 mb something for gmod just now. Still doesn't work though.

Zekiran
11-13-2012, 12:56 PM
There will likely not be any solution until Garry steps up and figures out what the problem really is. Apparently parts of the Windows versions broke as he was fixing some other OS version, so... yeah I suspect just wait it out and play something else in the meantime.

Iron-Mike
11-13-2012, 06:16 PM
There will likely not be any solution until Garry steps up and figures out what the problem really is. Apparently parts of the Windows versions broke as he was fixing some other OS version, so... yeah I suspect just wait it out and play something else in the meantime.

Dangit, been wanting to buy Garry's Mod for a while now. Just haven't had the time for it. I guess I will continue waiting....:(

Fluctorissia
11-14-2012, 05:33 AM

Well, wanted to do some posing stuff as a practise (since Source Filmmaker doesn't work for me either, gah D: ) but knowing I am not the only one experiencing this makes me calmer, thanks for the information c:

EDIT: Steam has just downloaded another 100MB update and it works now! This was unexpected :D

Zekiran
11-14-2012, 11:02 AM
lol Oh good, hopefully people will be able to get back in now and see what else is broken. >_>

</cynical much?>