PDA

View Full Version : Gameplay improvements

Rageburst
01-31-2012, 09:42 PM
Hello devs,

I'd like to list a few gameplay enhancements as suggestions:
- the slide button is nice, but because it requires holding down the button, this ties down other things you can do. It would be nice to have the _option_ of toggling the slide on/off without holding down a button. For a joystick user, it'll free up the other hand/fingers for other actions.
- the missile lock is a nice idea, but when the target gets out of lock you are forced to relock or waste a missile by releasing the button. I'd suggest that locking is enabled automatically. The player can feel free to launch the missile at any time without needing to leave the thumb on the missile button.
- the gameplay feels rushed most of the time since the Atlas is under constant fire. The pace of the game is pretty much dictated by the stress of keeping the mothership alive. When the health is too low, you might as well quit. What would drastically improve this timed feeing would be a shield/hull system. The shields would regenerate and give a little more buffer in between dealing with bombers, missiles, adds.... This way, the player wouldn't feel the mission is doomed when the ship is at 5% hull and consequently feel that the mission was a waste of time.
- a checkpoint system would be a nice-to-have to save progress. The player wouldn't need to restart all over when the missions fails.

Apart from that, it feels good to be using a joystick again. Please carry on with the next iteration! I'm all for reviving the space genre and am quite interested in your next space project.

SeamlessStocks
02-01-2012, 03:46 AM
- the slide button is nice, but because it requires holding down the button, this ties down other things you can do. It would be nice to have the _option_ of toggling the slide on/off without holding down a button. For a joystick user, it'll free up the other hand/fingers for other actions.

Yea, I think we can accommodate that.

- the missile lock is a nice idea, but when the target gets out of lock you are forced to relock or waste a missile by releasing the button. I'd suggest that locking is enabled automatically. The player can feel free to launch the missile at any time without needing to leave the thumb on the missile button.

I think this would create balance issues with missiles (i.e. making them overpowered)

- a checkpoint system would be a nice-to-have to save progress. The player wouldn't need to restart all over when the missions fails.

Yes, and this is something we're adding in soon.

SeamlessStocks
02-01-2012, 07:21 AM

I misunderstood your original comment. I thought you meant that their would be no lock at all and that the missiles would just be fire and forget.

Anyways, an auto-lock system where missile lock would function as it does now but without holding the button down is something we're looking into.

Rageburst
02-01-2012, 08:37 AM
Excellent work! You guys are hardcore!

Liquidmantis
02-01-2012, 08:42 AM
Both of those changes would be great!

xGryfter
02-01-2012, 08:59 AM
I misunderstood your original comment. I thought you meant that their would be no lock at all and that the missiles would just be fire and forget.

Anyways, an auto-lock system where missile lock would function as it does now but without holding the button down is something we're looking into.

What about speeding the missile up? There have been numerous times where I've fired a couple missiles and was then able to catch up, pass them and destroy the targeted ship with guns before the missiles got there. That probably shouldn't ever happen.

SeamlessStocks
02-01-2012, 01:34 PM
What about speeding the missile up? There have been numerous times where I've fired a couple missiles and was then able to catch up, pass them and destroy the targeted ship with guns before the missiles got there. That probably shouldn't ever happen.

Well I'm not sure about that. Our guns fire really fast (much faster than missiles) but the downside to their use is, of course, you need to actually aim and so forth. There is skill involved using them while missile lock requires little skill and is almost a guaranteed hit and hence why they're slower.

Not to mention we have AI that will spin around and shoot the missile out of the air. If they were made faster that would negatively affect their ability to perform that maneuver.

xGryfter
02-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Well I'm not sure about that. Our guns fire really fast (much faster than missiles) but the downside to their use is, of course, you need to actually aim and so forth. There is skill involved using them while missile lock requires little skill and is almost a guaranteed hit and hence why they're slower.

Not to mention we have AI that will spin around and shoot the missile out of the air. If they were made faster that would negatively affect their ability to perform that maneuver.

Which really shouldn't be, I should not be able to fire off a few missiles then pass them and beat them to the target, that's not how missiles work. Torpedo's (or bombs) on the other hand are very slow moving high payload ordnance while missiles are extremely fast with a much, much smaller payload. A ship should not be able to avoid a heat locked missile just by flying max speed in a strait line. To avoid a properly locked missile you should either have to use flares to transfer the heat lock or out maneuver it to lose heat lock all together. I have no problem being able to target and destroy missiles but it shouldn't be easier than targeting ships. On the other hand it only takes one or two hits to throw them off course or destroy them entirely.

The AI can still turn around and shoot the missile down they'll just have to be quicker about it and only be able to do it from farther away which would make using missiles at the max lock on distance more risky. Where as, because of the increased speed of the missiles, even with a lock on, firing one at close range will cause it to overshoot the target loosing the lock. Like in real life, there is a small window where missile are extremely effective and dangerous but outside that window they become significantly less effective.

SeamlessStocks
02-01-2012, 01:53 PM
Which really shouldn't be, torpedo's and bombs are a slow moving high payload ordnance while missiles are generally extremely fast with a much, much smaller payload. A ship should not be able to avoid a heat locked missile just by flying max speed in a strait line.

Currently, missiles speed up over time and end up being twice the max speed of all ships over a couple of seconds or so.

With the latest changes I haven't seen a ship straight outrun a missile before. I've seen plenty of times where they've shot it down though.

xGryfter
02-01-2012, 02:18 PM
Currently, missiles speed up over time and end up being twice the max speed of all ships over a couple of seconds or so.

With the latest changes I haven't seen a ship straight outrun a missile before. I've seen plenty of times where they've shot it down though.

Really? Has that always been the case or was it in one of the patches? If it's always been the case it may not be working properly... or maybe their acceleration should be increased a bit. Given how many times I've been able to outrun my own missiles I never would have guessed they were reaching speeds twice that of my max.

SeamlessStocks
02-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Really? Has that always been the case or was it in one of the patches? If it's always been the case it may not be working properly... or maybe their acceleration should be increased a bit. Given how many times I've been able to outrun my own missiles I never would have guessed they were reaching speeds twice that of my max.

Hmm, I'm pretty sure that has always been the case. I use missiles quite frequently and haven't noticed a problem but I'll double check.

What you might be seeing is their lifetime expiring (which is 15 seconds at the moment).

xGryfter
02-01-2012, 02:44 PM
Hmm, I'm pretty sure that has always been the case. I use missiles quite frequently and haven't noticed a problem but I'll double check.

What you might be seeing is their lifetime expiring (which is 15 seconds at the moment).

OK, maybe that's it.

It's never caused a problem for me but it was always one of those little nagging thing in the back of my mind that bugged me.

phobos512
02-01-2012, 09:49 PM
I was going to suggest the option of having a separate key to lock up a missile vice firing one so you don't necessary lose a missile each time you break lock, but I like the idea of the missile locking up on it's own provided you keep the enemy ship in the reticle (this is how modern real missiles tend to work).

Also, since the missiles as you pointed out reach a fixed velocity after a certain time it might make sense for the contrail to disappear (as the only way to reach a constant speed in space is to have the rocket motor burn out - if the motor is still firing then the weapon is under constant acceleration).

Yeah, I'm a weapons engineer, sue me. :)

visualdeity
02-01-2012, 09:50 PM
What does the slide button actually do? I tried it, but it didn't seem to do anything different for me.

Kelius
02-01-2012, 09:54 PM
Hold it down, and turn your view. Your ship will keep its motion and speed while you are free to aim in any direction. Think of it a bit like Vipers in the new BSG, if you know the show.

dgackey
02-01-2012, 09:54 PM
Deity, try moving the stick while holding it. It's basically a strafe modifier that allows you to change facing while maintaining your momentum in the direction you had been facing before you held the slide button.

kylr23
02-06-2012, 10:13 AM
This vid shows some other ideas as well (not mine of course o.o) (http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/bt/aj/ajsreview/34154-sol-exodus)

I would defiantly love to get this game when I get the chance to. I would love to see multiplayer in this game. Now only if I had my joystick still :(