PDA

View Full Version : Extremely Slow Download Speeds

zombiechicken96
02-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Hello SPUF. I've searched for this on multiple sites including here, but I can't seem to find a fix for it.
My internet provider gives approximately 9.9 MB/S. My usual Steam download speed is 1 MB/S.
Though I have recently gotten a new computer and I am having a weird problem. I am able to connect to the internet very easily with just an internet browser, and I have tested using the internet browser. But when I am downloading my games, all I can get is 48KB/S to 200KB/S. Sometimes it'll jump up to 600-700 but that's as high as it will go.
I've already changed the location to the place closest to me, and I've already tweaked the download rate. If there are any other solutions they'd be greatly appreciated.

killj0y
02-01-2012, 02:34 PM
Hello SPUF. I've searched for this on multiple sites including here, but I can't seem to find a fix for it.
My internet provider gives approximately 9.9 MB/S. My usual Steam download speed is 1 MB/S.
Though I have recently gotten a new computer and I am having a weird problem. I am able to connect to the internet very easily with just an internet browser, and I have tested using the internet browser. But when I am downloading my games, all I can get is 48KB/S to 200KB/S. Sometimes it'll jump up to 600-700 but that's as high as it will go.
I've already changed the location to the place closest to me, and I've already tweaked the download rate. If there are any other solutions they'd be greatly appreciated.

check again is it 9.9 MBs or Mbs? usually its rated in Mbs makes all the differance. Are you on wireless? Wired? Router? need more details to be honest with you, could be several things.

killj0y
02-01-2012, 02:37 PM
but i doubt it is steam or software related...Whats a speed test say? Cable? DSL?

zombiechicken96
02-01-2012, 02:40 PM
check again is it 9.9 MBs or Mbs? usually its rated in Mbs makes all the differance. Are you on wireless? Wired? Router? need more details to be honest with you, could be several things. Wired connection and MBPS

killj0y
02-01-2012, 03:13 PM
Wired connection and MBPS

I doubt you get all that speed all the time. that is why i ask if it is cable, dsl, fiber, satellite, and do you have a router? there is other factors too but those are the basics...

zombiechicken96
02-01-2012, 03:41 PM
I doubt you get all that speed all the time. that is why i ask if it is cable, dsl, fiber, satellite, and do you have a router? there is other factors too but those are the basics... I do have a router and it's DSL. But the problem seems to have temporarily fixed itself. I know there was about a weeks time of it just being slow, but it seems to have bolstered back up for now. Sorry for slow reply.

killj0y
02-01-2012, 03:46 PM
I do have a router and it's DSL. But the problem seems to have temporarily fixed itself. I know there was about a weeks time of it just being slow, but it seems to have bolstered back up for now. Sorry for slow reply.

it is fine, but DSL speeds rarely hit true 9.9 MBps, DSL is not affected by peak usage times like cable but distance from connection point does affect it. More than likely you are getting the correct speeds unless your router is not configured correctly, you have noise in your homes phone wiring, or your cables suck lol. But link me yoiur service providers website where it claims your advertised speed. Also run a speed test and see what it says. Post it here.

DarkNova
02-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Hey. NASA called.
They want their internet connection back.

-$P0P3$-
02-01-2012, 05:40 PM
I get high download speeds on my Steam, but slow download speeds on just about most other things. How does that work?

iTunes - 50-100 KB/s
Filefront - 100-200 KB/s
Origin - 300-700 KB/s
Megaupload(until it shut down) - 100-200 KB/s
Steam - 1-3 MB/s

wildfire678
02-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Your connection will be sold as MegaBits / Second downloads will be shown as Kilo/MegaBYTES /second.

Your 700KB/S download isn't that bad for a 10Mb/S service (it could be better) but the 48-200KB/s is pretty poor, as you say though it seems to have resolved itself so it's likely to have been a service issue rather than anything else.

Gotquack
02-01-2012, 06:18 PM
Could be that steams servers are constantly bogged down?

wildfire678
02-01-2012, 06:28 PM
Could be that steams servers are constantly bogged down?

Possible, but I downloaded a steady 3.2MB/s a few hours ago (~5GB) with my 30Mb/s connection, though agreed the server I'm using would have probably been quiet at the time.

AreYouInFactMad
02-01-2012, 10:58 PM
I've had issues with downloading from steam in the past, generally switching the location you are connected to in the settings tab through your steam has worked for me. I would give that a shot.

Original182
02-01-2012, 11:01 PM
My max download speed is 100+kB/s, and it makes me really upset that people are complaining about their 200 to 700 kB/s.

merp4life
02-03-2012, 07:52 PM
Doubt this is a Steam problem, but I've had this problem going on for the past week or so. I think it had to do with that historical ice-storm a coupla weeks ago. It's possible Steam's ISP's cables got damaged in the storm and hasn't been fully repaired yet. (I live less than an hour away from Valve HQ) Who is your ISP?

swtpub
07-25-2012, 03:35 AM
Follow the below steps:
Start > Run
Type gpedit.msc in the box
A window named Group Policy will open
Click on Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Network > QoS Packet Scheduler
A list will open on the right side. Double click on Limit Reversible Bandwidth
Now, a box will open, tick on Enable option
Set the Bandwidth limit (%) as 0%.
Click on Apply followed by OK
Thats it! Check your internet speed now usingscanmyspeed (http://www.scanmyspeed.com)