PDA

View Full Version : Great job ...not.

gebbet
02-03-2012, 08:42 AM
So basically integrated laptop users "may" throw their money from the window even if they meet the requirements (SSSE3, OpenGL 2.1, ...) huh. I find it extremely annoying when developers (or steam i don't know..) do not specify the exact requirements, causing inconvenience (not even accounting the cash wasted). You are asking people to take their chance on your product, which might not work. And there's not even a demo, so there's no way to find out except throwing out the money. You should not advertise with "may"s...
I am very disappointed.

(tl;dr: my gf bought it with huge excitement and got let down. i am guessing the reason is integrated gma (which is OpenGl 2.1 capable GMA 4500MHD). but i'm not sure because there's not even a simple log to check what's the cause of error. way to go!)

eth0
02-03-2012, 09:41 AM
why do you even bother to try playing games with an integrated graphics card... I can only compare it to trying to eat soup with a fork.

sinoth
02-03-2012, 09:56 AM
It isn't unreasonable to think that you can play a 2D game with an integrated graphics card. That does suck gebbet... further proof that ANY game should offer some sort of demo. Even if not a playable demo, but a "tech" demo to see if your computer will run it or not.

JoeB
02-03-2012, 10:19 AM
Even 2D games can be very deceiving in terms of graphical complexity. Just look at how high the GPU requirements are for Magicka.

graspee
02-03-2012, 10:36 AM
It may be a 2d game, but you can tell from the video that it's not just blitting a few static sprites about. That should have been a warning.

mouse_art
02-03-2012, 10:59 AM
Magicka uses a 3d engine.(but XNA framework) (But yes many "2D Games these days are not real 2D anymore)
Even 2D games can be very deceiving in terms of graphical complexity. Just look at how high the GPU requirements are for Magicka.

Saijin_Naib
02-03-2012, 11:34 AM
Intel drivers are notorious for ♥♥♥♥ OpenGL support.
http://www.glexcess.com/files.htm
Check and make sure you're getting 100% support all the way up to OpenGL 2.1

Foxrun
02-03-2012, 01:00 PM
It isn't unreasonable to think that you can play a 2D game with an integrated graphics card. That does suck gebbet... further proof that ANY game should offer some sort of demo. Even if not a playable demo, but a "tech" demo to see if your computer will run it or not.

Just dont rush out and purchase it. Wait for reviews or user reviews

sinoth
02-03-2012, 03:47 PM
Just dont rush out and purchase it. Wait for reviews or user reviews

Wait until someone with your exact video card reviews it? That isn't feasible :/ It really isn't hard to put out a demo.. I hope more indies catch on to that.

Foxrun
02-03-2012, 04:41 PM
No not that, anytime a pc game is released today it barely ever runs correctly. Better off waiting a few days to just check out user comments

Hertston
02-05-2012, 12:12 AM
why do you even bother to try playing games with an integrated graphics card... I can only compare it to trying to eat soup with a fork.

What he said. Sure a 2D game is more likely to be able to run acceptably, but there's no reason to expect it and certainly no guarantee of it.

You want to game on a laptop? Buy one designed for gaming.

DylanCuthbert
02-05-2012, 05:00 AM
Hey there, try looking for the chipset maker's drivers and install those - we had a Vaio that didn't have opengl 2.1 support in the supplied drivers but we installed the "untested" drivers from Intel and it worked fine.

wwwhhattt
02-05-2012, 01:35 PM
Hey there, try looking for the chipset maker's drivers and install those - we had a Vaio that didn't have opengl 2.1 support in the supplied drivers but we installed the "untested" drivers from Intel and it worked fine.
Could you tell me where to get them? I know little of the ways of the drivers.

DylanCuthbert
02-05-2012, 06:48 PM
You'll need to go to the maker's homepage - for example if it is Intel then go to intel.com and look for "update drivers" or "downloads", and then search using the chipset name.