PDA

View Full Version : So woefully broken...

DudeNukem
02-03-2012, 09:10 AM
This game is nothing like I imagined it would be. I have all of the games up to 9 (didn't get it because it was exclusive to PS and Xbox) and really liked the idea of playing the first three MK games online.

It sucks. There's no way around it.

Why? Well, I'll start with the good parts. Filters. Graphical filters. That is all. They look cool but that is all you have that adds anything good to this game.

The bad?

Let's start with the controls.

Are you using the Xbox controller? Good for you. Most controllers are based around the Dualshock for a reason. Sadly it seems like NetherTrolls are really sucking up to Microsoft on this one. Maybe they are still trying to get the Master Cheese as a DLC character and this is the price they have to pay.

If you're using a PS-style controller you're stuck with inverted up-down controls and not being able to jump forward or backward. That's a lot of fun.

If you're using the keyboard it doesn't get any better. You see, in the mid-90's people designing games realized most people didn't like using the arrow keys for movement for a reason. The left hand has less dexterity so you usually want to use that hand for simpler things like movement, it just can't handle the attack buttons. Look at any arcade stick and you'll realize people in the fighting game genre have realized this years ago.

NetherRealm didn't get the memo. Oh, really, you let me assign the attack buttons on my gamepad? Isn't that sweet. I can imagine the conversation over at WB and NR:

"Ok, those scruffy PC gamers keep nagging us about our games not being on their POS platform. We'll let them have the AK but break it. The controls are going to be as uncomfortable as possible while still looking like we just didn't select the keys at random and we're only going to offer support to MS gamepads, maybe that way we can nickel and dime the consumers even after Komplete comes out by making them shell out for some Xbox exclusive character that doesn't have anything to do with this game. Let's make it really bad so the folks that get the game will claim it's trash on the PC, maybe that way they'll buy a console."

The games themselves have been butchered. Sound rarely works and when it does it glitches like crazy.

The online play aspect is just sad. I actually believe it works but there is no one really playing it. And why should people play a game like this? In half hour I played 2 games. In the same time I play against 13 people in Street Fighter (assuming a 2 out of 3 game with an average of 45 seconds per round).

It's not a bad idea that it's P2P. I actually think it's smart and it doesn't cost NR or WB anything to keep up and it's feasible that us gamers can handle the load of the game. The problem is that no one wants to actually play the damn game in the first place. Not with such crappy controls, not with so many audio problems and not when you have to pay as much as the game for some sort of gamepad emulator or 4 times as much for a MS pad.

I want my money back and if this is what we can expect from MK9 if it ever comes out for the PC then I'm sure as hell not buying it until I can play it myself and see if it actually works.

I bought this game to show NR and WB that we wanted fighters on the PC but if I could I'd drop this game like it was covered in horse ♥♥♥♥. It's just awful. You want a better experience? Get the ROMs and run them on MAME or Midway Treasures (not that that is a much better port, it also has its issues) and send a pic of you playing it to NR and WB and explain how you are playing it and why.

If they don't fix this soon this franchise is dead to me. Capcom wants my money and wants me as a repeat customer. If Ed Boon doesn't see it that way he and his cronies can die in a fire.

schisch
02-03-2012, 09:25 AM
blablabla

same crap like in the sf forums

Krychek
02-03-2012, 09:29 AM
Yeah, they should fix all that crap. I regret that I spent my money for two copies of that "game" (one for myself and another one for my friend who can't even play it because of "weak" PC). Such a shame.

DudeNukem
02-03-2012, 09:32 AM
blablabla

same crap like in the sf forums
So, if you don't like what I'm saying and if the game is so good why aren't you out there playing it?

DudeNukem
02-03-2012, 09:34 AM
Yeah, they should fix all that crap. I regret that I spent my money for two copies of that "game" (one for myself and another one for my friend who can't even play it because of "weak" PC). Such a shame.
That's not a shame, that's robbery. Sorry to hear about that.

I just love how the roms only asked at best for a 700Mhz processor yet the recommended specs lists 2Ghz.

schisch
02-03-2012, 09:39 AM
So, if you don't like what I'm saying and if the game is so good why aren't you out there playing it?

because just arrived home and im eating pizza now :cool:

DudeNukem
02-03-2012, 09:43 AM
because just arrived home and im eating pizza now :cool:
As valid reason as any other, I guess :P

Krychek
02-03-2012, 10:08 AM
I just love how the roms only asked at best for a 700Mhz processor...

What 700Mhz? We have played those games on 100-200 MHz processors many years ago.

Johnnykey
02-03-2012, 10:43 AM
Are you using the Xbox controller? Good for you.

Wrong. It's 'horrible for you'. The x360 controller is most likely the worst controller ever for fighting games. And since it's the 'only' one working 100% on the PC, I can't bring myself to play fighting games on the PC.

I couldn't even play MK9 decently on the PS3 with a ps3 controller, REALLY had to get a decent adaptor and plug an actually good controller, which is the ps2's.

Fighting games on consoles nowadays are highly underrated and companies don't even make decent controllers anymore (so manufacturers contribute to their unpopularity). So it's not surprising to see an even worse situation on the PC.

DudeNukem
02-03-2012, 11:03 AM
What 700Mhz? We have played those games on 100-200 MHz processors many years ago.
That's why I said at best.

DudeNukem
02-03-2012, 11:05 AM
Wrong. It's 'horrible for you'. The x360 controller is most likely the worst controller ever for fighting games. And since it's the 'only' one working 100% on the PC, I can't bring myself to play fighting games on the PC.

I couldn't even play MK9 decently on the PS3 with a ps3 controller, REALLY had to get a decent adaptor and plug an actually good controller, which is the ps2's.

Fighting games on consoles nowadays are highly underrated and companies don't even make decent controllers anymore (so manufacturers contribute to their unpopularity). So it's not surprising to see an even worse situation on the PC.

I was being sarcastic. That controller isn't good enough to vibrate my balls.

DudeNukem
02-03-2012, 11:20 AM
Please ban this guy, thanks.
Who are you to call a ban? Can't handle someone with a different opinion? Get a life.

You've been reported.

xavis
02-03-2012, 11:39 AM
seriously? the ♥♥♥♥ is this? complaining? your fault for getting it in the first place. complaining won't do ♥♥♥♥ for you dude. get off of your computer and go outside to chill out.

damn kids these days.

DudeNukem
02-03-2012, 11:46 AM
seriously? the ♥♥♥♥ is this? complaining? your fault for getting it in the first place. complaining won't do ♥♥♥♥ for you dude. get off of your computer and go outside to chill out.

damn kids these days.

The horror of someone expressing an opinion must be too much for some of you folks.

SHOOTdotCOM
02-03-2012, 12:48 PM
The horror of someone expressing an opinion must be too much for some of you folks.

Ah yes, NOW I remember why I stopped coming to this forums. DukeNukem you are totally right. If you would've said this 7 years ago you would've been right too.

Feels like these forums you say anything negative about a Steam game it's YOUR FAULT(lol?). Instead of realizing what's the purpose of this forum...

Forum: noun (plural forums)

1a. meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged:

thepenguin55
02-03-2012, 06:25 PM
To be fair, Netherealm's involvement with this game went as far as adding their logo to the startup screen. That right there should explain all of the problems with this collection.

ukhazard
02-03-2012, 06:28 PM
Are you using the Xbox controller? Good for you. Most controllers are based around the Dualshock for a reason.

Yes, and that reason is the market penetration of the Playstation 1. Doesn't make it better (in fact it isn't).

MrCrunk
02-03-2012, 06:32 PM
Netherrealm did NOT make this game, stop blaming them. If anybody is to blame, it's Warner for allowing "Other Ocean Interactive" to develop this. I knew this was a bad port as soon as I saw the system requirements; dual core is recommended...seriously? LOL

Cool_Z
02-03-2012, 06:55 PM
Was going to by this but thought id check here first after being disapointed with other old game ports released on steam. Looks like I was right to be cautious :(
I really wanted to buy this game too, if only to show support for future PC releases of this kind. But Im not going to support such a crappy port. Ill just stick with the Mame versions where I can set my controls.

DJJ66
02-03-2012, 07:25 PM
huh... maybe it's just me but I'm having a blast with this game. There are no sound bugs at all, multi has worked fine and I have managed to pick up the keyboard control after a few matches just to get the hang of it.

So far I haven't run with a single problem with the game at all.

MakThaNife
02-03-2012, 09:20 PM
huh... maybe it's just me but I'm having a blast with this game. There are no sound bugs at all, multi has worked fine and I have managed to pick up the keyboard control after a few matches just to get the hang of it.

So far I haven't run with a single problem with the game at all.

Same here. Granted, I like it mostly for nostalga, but this was definitly worth the $8.50 I paid for it.

And for the OP complaining about his controller - just use joy2key or one of the other mappers

blackmancer
02-03-2012, 10:35 PM

damn kids these days.

hey ♥♥♥♥ u. ppl pay with working money they deserve a working product. if you go buy a car and it doesn't work, u wouldnt be all like "tough ♥♥♥♥, you shouldn't have bought it", likewise with games. its ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ like u that let companies ♥♥♥♥ us over like this ya dweeeble!!

btw i also have the problem like the OP

DuckStab
02-03-2012, 11:19 PM

Same. All I want is the ability to map movement keys and a practice mode. If it had those two things I would never stop playing :D

joefx69
02-04-2012, 05:46 AM
Nice, my posts just got deleted, nice job.

Anyway, i hope this thread will die, not because i dont like other opinions, i just dont like opinions of kids, useless rant.

Then why are you expressing an opinion?

joefx69
02-04-2012, 05:52 AM
hey ♥♥♥♥ u. ppl pay with working money they deserve a working product. if you go buy a car and it doesn't work, u wouldnt be all like "tough ♥♥♥♥, you shouldn't have bought it", likewise with games. its ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ like u that let companies ♥♥♥♥ us over like this ya dweeeble!!

Interesting language, but I agree.

Forums are awash nowadays with people complaining about people complaining.

They are so stupidly contradictory and devoid of a true meaning in life, they feel they need to make other people look stupid for expressing completely understandable grievances with people who took their money simply because they have a different opinion.

Or as I like to call it, "Dont have a passport" syndrome.

UUUUzi
02-04-2012, 05:53 AM
>Unreal Engine 3
>90's Arcade game

DAFUQ, WB.

DudeNukem
02-04-2012, 07:38 AM
Yes, and that reason is the market penetration of the Playstation 1. Doesn't make it better (in fact it isn't).

I'm sorry, but the D-pad on the xbox controller is the worst in any major console. I've played old famicom ripoffs with better d-pads.

You are right about the PS controller being common for that reason but the fact is it's common. It should be supported as standard. People are already complaining about it and Xpadder and other programs aren't doing anything to make it better despite the fact I'm using Rainbow, Logitech and Thurstmaster pads, each with the same problem. Already tried it on another computer and it just doesn't go away.

DudeNukem
02-04-2012, 07:49 AM

I didn't give him or the other dude much attention, just reported them but the fact remains, I work for a living. I'm not some kid mooching off his parents. I played this game when I was a kid and I wanted it on Steam so I could always have it with me unlike my Sega or PS1. I wanted to play it with my fiancée and gift it to her (we played the hell out of MK Armageddon on the Wii) so we could play each other online while shooting the ♥♥♥♥ but some people think that since it's not their money they can just spend it and then if it doesn't work it doesn't matter.

Well, it does matter. I put my hard won money on a game I expect it to work. I demand it. I don't care if it's a 10 dollar game or if it's a 50 dollar game. I put money on the line I demand it to be working in proper order. When I do my job it's the same thing. If I do a half ♥♥♥ service I can be certain that I'm being called in to explain what happened and I know I'll feel the consequences in the end of the month.

I don't care if the fault lies with NR, OO or WB. One made the games (even if as Midway a long time ago), the other ported the game (and actually did a decent job of other games for portable consoles) and the other is the publisher. In the end I choose to blame Ed Boon because if his big mouth can talk the talk his wallet should feel the effects.

It's not my fault that the game is faulty. It's my right that it gets fixed.

I already contacted Ed Boon, WB and OO. They didn't give a ♥♥♥♥. Steam hasn't replied yet but I know they don't offer refunds. Least I can do is make sure people come in here and see that the game is worthless.

rabish12
02-04-2012, 08:59 AM
To be fair, Netherealm's involvement with this game went as far as adding their logo to the startup screen. That right there should explain all of the problems with this collection.
It should, but it really doesn't. I expected this to be a minimum effort port and I expected it to have issues (it's a Mortal Kombat game), but... wow, this is somehow below minimum effort. Far, far below.

elratauru
02-04-2012, 09:16 AM
>Unreal Engine 3
>90's Arcade game

DAFUQ, WB.

Yes...Its kinda funny because the game uses Unreal Engine 3 an menu and frontend. So basically you need to be able to load UE3 so you can load a 90's game. DAFUQ indeed WB...Well, more likely DAFUQ to the company who ported this kollection.

Meh.

Companies like WB should learn from SEGA and their last attempt to port (more like recreate from scratch) something for real (actually, thanks to a uber-tech-fan of the series) that was Sonic CD.