PDA

View Full Version : Character Creation Help/Advice

Phanixis
02-03-2012, 05:09 PM
I am new to Star Trek Online and cannot decide between creating an Engineer officer or a Science offer. The big problem is that the game is divided into two parts, away missions, and spaceflight. When in comes to the away missions, the Engineers seem to have some really awesome abilities, such as creating turrets, forcefields and drones. However, in space, the Science officers have some sweet abilities, such as the ability to summon holographic ships(although the engineering abilities aren't terrible).

So what arena is more important from a character creation standpoint? Should I choose the guy who gets cool abilities on the ground, or the guy who gets cool abilities in space? How often will I be on away missions vs. piloting ships? If I knew the relative importance of ground vs. space better, at least as far as the main character's career is concerned, I could make a better decision.

Thanks for the help.

ctcc42
02-03-2012, 10:31 PM
I may be biased as I play a science officer. But I have engineer bridge officers in my away team so I get access to a number of engineer skills through them.

You’re right to think turrets and forcefields and mortars and minefields and what not sound cool, they do sound cool. But I ended up taking them off my list of officer skills. Why? Because it takes a lot of micromanagement to actually keep your away team inside a shield, and the Phaser and mortar turrets don’t do so much damage that I wouldn’t chose to have a more powerful and mobile tactical officer in my away team instead.

Engineers are good for de-buffs and personal shield boosting. But personally I have found science skills for heals and de-buff removing, and tactical skills for damage and party buffs to be more useful to have.

MudSlide
02-04-2012, 11:53 AM
I may be biased as I play a science officer. But I have engineer bridge officers in my away team so I get access to a number of engineer skills through them.

You’re right to think turrets and forcefields and mortars and minefields and what not sound cool, they do sound cool. But I ended up taking them off my list of officer skills. Why? Because it takes a lot of micromanagement to actually keep your away team inside a shield, and the Phaser and mortar turrets don’t do so much damage that I wouldn’t chose to have a more powerful and mobile tactical officer in my away team instead.

Engineers are good for de-buffs and personal shield boosting. But personally I have found science skills for heals and de-buff removing, and tactical skills for damage and party buffs to be more useful to have.

I managed to get each of the three classes to level 12. The Science officer was my second and best choice. The complete control they have over the battlefield is superb. Space and ground missions are just more fun with the abilities of a Science officer.

Don't forget that you can modify your ground team with other careers.

Out of all three, I prefer the Science officer to the rest of the pack.

Phanixis
02-04-2012, 03:29 PM
Ok, thanks for the advice.