PDA

View Full Version : My Review After Finishing the Game

fuller556
02-05-2012, 03:11 AM
So I really don't understand why Dreamkiller gets such a bad rap from players and professional review sites. The game isn't perfect, but it's far from horrible, too.

I'll go ahead and get out of the way the fact that my playthrough of the game was not without hassle. For some reason, the game locks up after completing every single level, including the final level. I had to look up the ending story sequence on YouTube to see how it concludes. I will say that the auto-save function worked like a dream here as I was always able to pick up from where I left off when I killed and restarted the game; I just simply should not have had to go through that hassle.

That said, the level design is some of the most imaginative I have ever encountered in an FPS and brings back frond memories of Painkiller: Black Edition. For example, one part of the sequence in Alice's brain appears to take place inside of a computer. The graphics and lighting effects in this room are outstanding.

The interesting part of this game is the fact that each stage is designed to be a manifestation of someone's phobias and nightmares. While the kinds of stages and some of the enemies may not necessarily fit the motif, there is no shortage of baddies to blast into tiny bits and some truly interesting bosses, among them being a gigantic tree that sends swarms of bees after you, and the gigantic fat doctor-in-charge of the insane asylum that Alice is sent to as a little girl.

The weapons generally get the job done, but the weapon switching system can be awkward. Alice can only carry 2 weapons at a time, or her fists and one weapon. Weapons are acquired inside of blue weapon portals spread throughout the stages. The problem is that running through a portal for a second time swaps weapons again; when you get a new weapon, you leave behind whichever weapon you were carrying at that point. Run through the same portal again, and you'll swap again--even if you were only using your fists the first time through. Also, to get a second firearm, you need to switch to your fists before going through the next weapons portal.

The danger of this system is that you can sometimes inadvertently switch to your fists or even an explosive in the heat of combat when you're trying to blast a roomful of baddies with the laser or chaingun. However, it's almost always possible to either avoid running through a weapons portal you don't want to hit or to get back to where you accidentally switched weapons without taking a lot of damage. Still, a better weapons system is preferred.

The graphics are overall well done, and the simplified controls make this more of a pick-up-and-play shooter. You move, you look around, you fire, you jump, you switch weapons and that's just about it; there isn't even a crouch command. There's also a running teleport; hit the button, and shadows of yourself will sprint forward. Press the button again to reappear at the farthest point your shadows reached. This can help you to cover ground quickly, avoid some of the more devastating assaults until you can return fire, and grab items while avoiding attacks.

There's also a lives system, rarely seen in FPS games (Serious Sam 2 a notable exception). You have 3 lives to make it through a level; if you die in a scene, you restart with whatever items and enemies were left when you died. If you finish the section, your lives will be restored. If you lose all of your lives, however, you'll restart at the last checkpoint.

As far as I could find, there is no way to manually save the game. This normally isn't a big deal, as the game saves each time you clear an area, much like Painkiller. Most levels take approximately a half an hour to complete, depending on your skill. You'll also find that the body count can be quite high, and you may wear your hands out circle-strafing and firing at all of the enemies coming your way, sort of like a Serious Sam game.

Level-ending glitches notwithstanding, I had a good time with Dreamkiller overall. Some of the boss fights can be incredibly tough, although there isn't anything in the game that is truly unfair or that traps you with no hope of escaping. When all is said and done, Dreamkiller is a solid FPS with an interesting storyline and an interesting slant on level design. While it may not be the next Doom, you could do worse, especially if you see it on sale (I got it when it was a $2.50 daily deal a few weeks ago). Don't let all of the bashing on the Internet scare you off as this is a game can be a lot of fun if you let it. Overall, 6.5 out of 10 (I would rate it a little higher if not for the afore-mentioned glitch between levels).

ginx2666
04-03-2012, 12:33 AM
So I really don't understand why Dreamkiller gets such a bad rap from players and professional review sites.
It's basically a VERY bad Painkiller ripoff, even worse than its later iterations. Mind you, graphics didn't change at all since BooH, music is far inferior (large portion of PK success was soundtrack my MECH and Mediastudio), and even opponents are just reskinned monsters from PK! Oh and title is written in the same font too...
How would you expect critics to rate a copycat? It's like ♥♥♥♥♥♥ a dead body and then, just for kicks, renaming it to fool other people.

I'll go ahead and get out of the way the fact that my playthrough of the game was not without hassle. For some reason, the game locks up after completing every single level, including the final level. I had to look up the ending story sequence on YouTube to see how it concludes. I will say that the auto-save function worked like a dream here as I was always able to pick up from where I left off when I killed and restarted the game; I just simply should not have had to go through that hassle.
You would think that some companies that plagiarize a certain product would go as far as to test it beforehand, but whatever.

That said, the level design is some of the most imaginative I have ever encountered in an FPS and brings back frond memories of Painkiller: Black Edition. For example, one part of the sequence in Alice's brain appears to take place inside of a computer. The graphics and lighting effects in this room are outstanding.
PK:BE (that is original game and 1st addon) - release date: 12.04.2004. So basically, eight years got you nothing more than a little graphical innovations.
Every level in Painkiller was great. I remember Asulym, City and Hell most fondly.

(...)truly interesting bosses, among them being a gigantic tree that sends swarms of bees after you, and the gigantic fat doctor-in-charge of the insane asylum that Alice is sent to as a little girl.
Asylum recycled - AGAIN, plus trees...

The weapons(...)
Overly complicated, restricted and ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ weapon system. If they're going to copy something, at least they could make it right.
For instance - original, raw Painkiller. 5 weapons, 2 kinds of fire with occasional quirk each. You find weapon, you got weapon. How can one screw that I cannot imagine.

As far as I could find, there is no way to manually save the game.
That's absolutely unforgivable in a PC FPS, any developer that makes PC FPS with that save system should just crawl in a damp, dark corner and rethink his life.

Don't let all of the bashing on the Internet scare you off as this is a game can be a lot of fun if you let it.
That "bashing" is entirely justified - if a lot of people complain about game, it's generally BAD. Of course you are entitled to your own opinion, and I wont scorn you for it, but for majority of original PK fans, Dreamkiller could be as well named "♥♥♥♥ty Painkiller Ripoff/Sequel #12".

My extremely short review - this game is bad, avoid like a plague, and if you want a solid shooter, stick to the archetype.

Ravenheart77
03-22-2013, 06:10 PM
Great review. I also liked this game. I felt it was a great deal for the price and I had a blast playing it.