PDA

View Full Version : Free to play until level 50?

TimeKiIIa
02-05-2012, 08:43 AM
Hey guys, am new to this game seems it's been around for a few years now and used to use monthly subs, Some of the posts i have read on this forum suggests to me that this game is going to be free for good?

Can someone else if you don't mind explain if there is any online side to this guy like teaming up with other real players instead of playing a story driven mission by your self.

Thanks!

airsoftmanic
02-05-2012, 09:05 AM
well going by your topic title, the game is completely free to play.
no sub is needed to play.

the "Gold" subscription is for .... well someone else will have to answer that as i cant find any reason to get the gold subscription, as all the bonuses and free stuff seems to be only for lifetime subscribers (the 179 one off payment.

and yes all the main storyline missions are playable with other people.
there are random borg encounters in every sector that are basically like mini bosses that everyone can join. its not compulsory as a "distress call" button will flash on-screen that allows access to the instance.
there is also PvE battlegrounds to go to, also public.

Doob
02-05-2012, 10:38 AM
There really aren't any limitations at all other than not being able to create user content. I think?

Selgin1
02-05-2012, 11:11 AM
You can create user content with Dilithium, I think. IIRC most of the paid stuff is conveniences and cosmetics. For example, you can get a T3 ship at level 20, but if you liked your old Constitution class, you can get a refit with CP to bring it up to T3. Paid accounts get a monthly stipend of CP along with all the other bonuses.

For more detail, go to the website, it has a table with all the differences.

dauqhx
02-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Gold players (subscribers) get more bank and inventory space, more Bridge Officer slots, respec tokens for their skills, ability to create missions with Foundry and a 400 CP (shop currency) / month stipend.

Silver players would have to buy most of that with CP from the store if they want it. But yeah actually this game doesn't really handicap silvers too much, you can take part in all the game as silver and not fill gimped even if you don't spend a dime.
Golds don't get better weapons or anything game-breaking like that.

Also there is this thing called "Dillithium Exchange" where dillithium can be traded for CP between players so you can actually just earn some CP (slowly) while playing.

damaged
02-05-2012, 11:44 AM
http://startrekonline.com/f2p_features

sinboundhaibane
02-07-2012, 01:24 AM
You can create user content as a free to play member. I know, because I've done it. You can publish it online and use all the features of the foundry. Just got to pay 10,000 Dillithium... which you get for free by participating in special events and fleet actions after you get to a certain level. I don't remember which. I'm about 2 levels off the cap now, and I haven't had to pay for anything. I'm contemplating throwing them some money, just because it's such a welcome relief! A free-to-play rpg that's actually free? What a concept! :D

MudSlide
02-07-2012, 06:52 AM
There really aren't any limitations at all other than not being able to create user content. I think?

You also get less inventory slots, bank slots, and character slots. But no, there really aren't that many issues with the F2P portion of the game. A lot of people in my guild are stopping paying monthly and just going F2P. It's that good!

stormander
02-07-2012, 04:19 PM
There is one major issue though. Since they're probably not really making much money out of this, their server capacity is likely going to be quite low eventually as system technicians are quite expensive to hire.

Why is this a problem?

Well check out this problem on: http://startrekonline.com/f2p_features

Gold Members priority login: Free (AKA - put to front of login queue)
Silver Members priority login: Not Available.

So effectively, this is a way of making people go gold when the game gains popularity. Remember the 3 hour queues at the start of a World of Warcraft expansion? I'm fully expecting the same for silver players eventually.

Never-the-less... While I despise F2P MMORPG's with most of my soul and mind. This one seems decent. Let's hope they don't run out of money too quickly due to their poor business acumen.

EDIT: Also I am fairly sceptical of limited customer support for silver members. I mean, it sort of indicates that there's subtle bugs in the game for silver accounts only and effectively, they wont help you with them until you go gold. That would be awful but again... I have low expectations of F2P MMORPG's, they just don't feel right. As if there's always a sinister way to get people to go subscription and fork out extra cash for additional extras. Maybe I'm wrong and very biased in favour of subscription games but I just get a bad feeling about it.

Dragonbreath
03-08-2012, 03:52 PM
actually it has shown that F2P micro transactions end up being more profitable in the end than monthly subscriptions. say you have 5 people join and 3 of them buy a ship that cost 1600c then it means that they actually got more than the monthly fee for 5 right there. Also an article i read cant remember where stated due to F2P games pc gaming profits have actually started to raise. So why not go f2p to have more people playing your game and possible profit from micro transaction market. the servers already exist why not profit from it longer.

necrodoom
03-08-2012, 11:41 PM
EDIT: Also I am fairly sceptical of limited customer support for silver members. I mean, it sort of indicates that there's subtle bugs in the game for silver accounts only and effectively, they wont help you with them until you go gold. That would be awful but again... I have low expectations of F2P MMORPG's, they just don't feel right. As if there's always a sinister way to get people to go subscription and fork out extra cash for additional extras. Maybe I'm wrong and very biased in favour of subscription games but I just get a bad feeling about it.

yeah, there are quite a bit of bugs, espically in certain episode missions, but from my experience both gold and silver get the same lame customer support.

Benjoseph
03-09-2012, 06:28 AM
yeah, there are quite a bit of bugs, espically in certain episode missions, but from my experience both gold and silver get the same lame customer support.

I am free to play and its sad that I have never been answered when I have sent in tech support requests. my oldest request is over a month old with no answer.

Spinalcore
03-11-2012, 02:22 PM
What I did was got to 49 on my Fed and KDF toons and then did 1 month gold to get the level 50 respee token for each, All the Inventory/Bank slots unlocked, The extra character slot and my Extra Bridge officer slots. All of that saved me a few thousand Cryptic points in purchases.

"Character slots 1 universal at a value of 250 Cpoints (2 slots for 500 points)
Bridge Officer slots 2 at levels 10,20 @200 Cpoints per 2 slots (After compensating the 2 at lvl 40 deducted for teh 1 at 30 and 40 on a silver)
Max Free Inventory from 42 to 72 approx 3 unlocks @320 Cpoints each (960 cpoints total per character)
Max Free Bank Inventory from 48 to 108 Roughly 5 unlocks @240 cpoints each (1200 Cpoints total per character)
Captain Retrain Token (Respec) 400 Cpoints each (Depending on the time you go gold at could be up to 7 tokens on a character)
400 Promotion Cpoints"
Then Buy the 400 cpoint Energy Credit unlock after the month is up and you will only be missing the monthly 400 points, Priority login and auto conversion of the Dilithium. All things that don't seem to be an issue on free accounts anyways. 1 Character on the account would be around the 3200 Cpoints Value in ulocks as a lvl 49 when you sub. 2550 in Cpoints for Characters 2 and 3 only calculating as 1 Respec token each. So you get more than the $15 worth of Cpoint Unlocks then go back to free.
Otherwise even at 50 it can still be Free to play anyways. You don't need to buy unlockers to equip gear, the Lvl 40 ships are still decent enough for endgame, and it takes quite a while to get to the 10 million Credit limit.