PDA

View Full Version : [REQUEST] Disable FPS limit!

ekze
02-05-2012, 12:59 PM
Currently, it is only possible to change resolution and turn V-Sync on/off. The thing is that with the V-Sync turned off, FPS is still limited to 60, what is causing TERRIBLE tearing on the display. But with the V-Sync on there is an input lag.

Would be nice to have an option to disable FPS limit. (or ability to limit it at something higher, if not in-game, but by config-file)

Thanks!

rassilon
02-06-2012, 10:25 PM
ekse, why do you care? Your eyes cannot identify more than 12 frames per second. Television and movies only run at 24-30 fps. 60 is more than enough, unless you're trying to record your screen with an old film camera.

donnymill
02-06-2012, 11:03 PM
ekse, why do you care?

He said why in his post. Maybe you should read it again?

That said, I haven't noticed any input lag.

rassilon
02-06-2012, 11:12 PM
[QUOTE=rassilon;29023756]ekse, why do you care?QUOTE]

He said why in his post. Maybe you should read it again?

That said, I haven't noticed any input lag.

You're right. I missed the input lag issue. Ekse, try enabling triple-buffering in your graphics control panel. It's meant to cure problems like that.

My only real issue with the graphics is the prominent PixelJunk logo that is always visible in the same position, even during gameplay. Enabling the game's burn-in protection doesn't remove or move that logo either, so sooner or later, it will cause a problem.

donnymill
02-07-2012, 01:01 AM
[QUOTE=donnymill;29024170]

You're right. I missed the input lag issue. Ekse, try enabling triple-buffering in your graphics control panel. It's meant to cure problems like that.

My only real issue with the graphics is the prominent PixelJunk logo that is always visible in the same position, even during gameplay. Enabling the game's burn-in protection doesn't remove or move that logo either, so sooner or later, it will cause a problem.

Seriously? Just how long are you playing this game for?

QQQ
02-07-2012, 11:59 PM
Your eyes cannot identify more than 12 frames per second.

This is a myth. It is true that the average human will not see the space between frames after about 20, but the eye does not see in frames. The eye is very good at seeing timing variation. I can pick up on variance at 120 FPS pretty easily.

DylanCuthbert
02-08-2012, 02:31 AM
The original game was developed for a locked 60fps so unfortunately we can't do anything about this without changing the fundamental structure of the game.

You can try adding triple-buffers and other features that help the performance but I'm not sure what is causing your input lag, perhaps it is just because the game has to lock to 30fps and run at half speed?

ekze
02-08-2012, 09:22 PM
Thanks for your response, Dylan!
Actually, when V-Sync is enabled, the best way to fix input lag is to set 'maximum pre-rendered frames' to zero: http://g.ekze.org/w1.png
That almost completely fixed input lag so it's not really noticeable. Still it's a shame that we cant run this game on higher fps.

But great work anyway, love your games!

Your eyes cannot identify more than 12 frames per second.
That is just not true. Eye can identify up to a thousand frames per second. It just depends on the distance, object speed and other variables. Check this links: http://www.boallen.com/fps-compare.html http://frames-per-second.appspot.com/ (these tests are of course limited to your monitor capabilities)

Zyava
07-29-2012, 04:34 AM
Currently, it is only possible to change resolution and turn V-Sync on/off. The thing is that with the V-Sync turned off, FPS is still limited to 60, what is causing TERRIBLE tearing on the display. But with the V-Sync on there is an input lag.

Would be nice to have an option to disable FPS limit. (or ability to limit it at something higher, if not in-game, but by config-file)

Thanks!I play without the V-Sync and haven't experienced tearing - most likely related to your GPU or some particular settings it uses.

I mean, as long as your CPU can animat a steady 60 FPS, this is really as much as you need, it's not like the human eye notices a difference above that (I think that the number was even more around 30 fps or so).