PDA

View Full Version : How stable is it for you guys?

IamLEAM1983
02-07-2012, 01:10 PM
I've been able to finish the tutorial without too much problems, but after picking up the sidequests from Gorhart, accessing the manu and quest log seems to cause the game to crash, almost without fail.

I can play blindly and sort of run around fairly well, but as soon as I try to switch quests or read up on what I need to do, it crashes.

Thrilhouse
02-07-2012, 01:16 PM
I have 4 hours of play, and not a single crash. I thought it was a very stable release. Don't know what could be causing your crashes. :(

da10x
02-07-2012, 01:17 PM
Haven't had a problem so far.

The demo was glitchy for me though.

lllLSDlll
02-07-2012, 01:50 PM
no problem 3h from the start.

Vaemer-Riit
02-07-2012, 01:56 PM
I only played through part of the tutorial (Got the the room with the 3 chests with all armor) while making sure it decrypted fine but it seemed to run just fine for me.

TheDarkChaplain
02-07-2012, 01:58 PM
8 hours in and not a single crash or noticeable bug.

iyse
02-07-2012, 02:03 PM
I'm having the same problem as TC. Don't know what else I can do.

Stateless269
02-07-2012, 02:05 PM
I did find a bug. If you connect to the EA servers from within the game, I beleive in options, it is under "on-line" the game crashes within 10 minutes for me. I played 3 hours last night without a single issue, but when I got to the first town I noticed I did not get any of my items from playing the demo..mainly the complete Mass Effect 3 armor set and weopons.

When the game loads it connects to the EA servers to validate the game, but I figured it was keeping me connected, which it was not. Once I logged in from within the game, I received my items in a chest in the first town, but then the game crashed to desktop.

I rebooted my comp, loaded the game, connected to the server within the option menus and it crashed again within 10 min. I basically had 3 crashes all withing 10 min of loading into the game and all three times I logged into the EA servers via the in-game option.

When I played 3 hours earlier, I never logged in cause I assumed it did it automatically. So when I tried a 4th time, I decided not to log in via the options and guess what??? No crashes. I just played over an hour or so, did 3 quests, looted a cave, turned in my quests and no issues. It seems like a weird bug that if you are logged into the servers via the in-game option it crashes.

Zaole
02-07-2012, 02:56 PM
2 hours into the game i randomly crashed to desktop while trying to loot a pile on the ground. hooray, now i get to repeat everything i did since my last save. it's bothersome because the IGN reviewer said one of the best parts about the game is that it was extremely stable and never once crashed on him. i'm tired of the "save every 60 seconds because you know you're about to crash" style of skyrim and was hoping for something more stable.

TheDarkChaplain
02-07-2012, 03:00 PM
2 hours into the game i randomly crashed to desktop while trying to loot a pile on the ground. hooray, now i get to repeat everything i did since my last save. it's bothersome because the IGN reviewer said one of the best parts about the game is that it was extremely stable and never once crashed on him. i'm tired of the "save every 60 seconds because you know you're about to crash" style of skyrim and was hoping for something more stable.

Check your machine, really. Especially the redist packages you've installed, and make sure you don't have too much trash installed/in use either.

IamLEAM1983
02-07-2012, 03:40 PM
Hm. So checking my drivers and my DirectX redist would help? Odd.

Zaole
02-07-2012, 04:54 PM
Check your machine, really. Especially the redist packages you've installed, and make sure you don't have too much trash installed/in use either.

steam installs the proper version of the redistributables whenever you install the game, and i don't have any trashy junk installed. i've got plenty of HDD space and RAM right now.

i'm laying blame partially on AMD and on developers as of late putting so little emphasis on making sure their game runs fine with AMD GPUs. i've encountered a lot of problems lately that simply relate to having AMD instead of Nvidia. for example, the KoA demo being pitch black when you have an AMD card with post processing on, or the massive stuttering that makes LotR:WitN unplayable if you have pretty much any AMD card.

IamLEAM1983
02-07-2012, 05:05 PM
Well, I'm running on an Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX, I scrubbed my PC clean not two days ago and it's been rock-solid ever since I performed my yearly reformat-clean-out-and-rebuild, last June. No spam, no malware that I could detect, no useless clutter.

I also updated my drivers for my GPU last week.

I just tried making progress on that same old save, and the same thing keeps happening. I can get through the tutorial just fine, but as soon as I start racking up sidequests, my switching objectives crashes the game.

TheDarkChaplain
02-07-2012, 05:06 PM
Steam installs (or attempts to) install whatever redist packages the developers put up. This also means that games from a couple of years back most likely try to install horribly old redist packages which may well conflict with the other ones you have installed.

And just for your information, I've heard plenty of good reports from AMD/ATI owners. The troubles we had with the Demo and Blackscreens are gone, I've yet to encounter a single graphical error - and guess what, I'm using an ATI video card - shock!

The KoA Demo had issues with post processing, but the demo is not representative for the technical part of the full game. It's been old code cut out by a third party studio. The actual devs made sure that the issues from the demo would not happen again in the full game, and they did a good job.

Also, this is not the War in the North forum, but I can tell you that I never had these issues you speak of. The only slowdowns I experienced happened when I stepped out of the boundaries of what my video card could properly handle.