PDA

View Full Version : @Skaar: Question/Suggestion about future DLC's

PsYcHo126
02-07-2012, 03:06 PM
Hello there!

I just wanted to know: Will upcoming maps always be free?
Because, please, look at the last "big" MP games.

Let's just take Crysis 2 (or Homefront, or DNF, or Space Marine or whatever) as an example.
It sold pretty well, there are still enough peoples playing. BUT no one, really no one plays the DLC maps. Why? Because they weren't free.

CoD can do it yes, but you aren't CoD. CoD has a "zombie" community. They have several peoples who buy EVERYTHING they release. So there will be always players for DLC maps.

Believe me, if you release DLC Maps which aren't free, no one will play them. Maybe 5%. And if those 5% says to the community that no one plays the DLC Maps, no one else will buy the DLC.

So better just release free Maps. You prevent your game from dying if you do so.

Nobody has a problem with cosmetic DLC's. Thats really no problem. You can make more money with new costumes, new hats or whatever.

But please, FREE MAP DLC's! I say it again, look at other FPS games that released not-free Mappacks. Nobody plays the new Maps.

Greets!
PsYcHo

Wargod
02-07-2012, 03:19 PM
+1

so true.

Skaarj314
02-07-2012, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the feedback, first of all! All of your information is totally valid, so thanks for sharing it.

But, while I wish I could say more regarding this topic, I just don't have the information. Yes, the upcoming DLC will be free, but outside of that there's just a lot of moving pieces, a lot of plans for the future of Impostors, and a lot of undecided stuff.

I know we're all excited to let you folks know more about the upcoming plans, but for now we appreciate you taking the time to let us know what you think. :)

Sorry, I know that's all very noncommittal, but it's all the info that I've got.

PsYcHo126
02-07-2012, 03:45 PM
First of all, thanks for your answer! I really appreciate it that you are trying to answer as much as you can in this forum!

I can understand that you don't have more infos yet. But I have one more pleasure, talk with your team. Tell them that its pointless to release Mappacks wich aren't free if your game isn't called Call of Duty or Battlefield because there just aren't enough peoples who buy it.

Most dev's should slowly realise this, but sadly there are still so many devs wich want money for their new maps. Somehow I think they don't know that they just make the situation of the game even worse.

I hope you guys won't do that. Please, make the right decisions!

EDIT: One more thing: If you release DLC's which split the community and screw them off, you will loose costumers for your next games = you get less money with your next game. Sure, you get some more money with the DLC's. But less money with your next game if peoples remember.

Whats better? If peoples say "Hey cool! That game is from Monolith. I know that they'll care about it!"
Or: "Oh no, remember the mess with GCI? They ruined the game with their Mappacks! Not buying it"
? For me, if I would be a developer, the first reaction would be better, for sure ;)

Moe45673
02-07-2012, 05:51 PM
Psycho, you made your point. He gets it. Monolith will ultimately do whatever gets them the most money, whether it's long term reputation, short term DLC, or whatever

PsYcHo126
02-07-2012, 06:42 PM
Psycho, you made your point. He gets it. Monolith will ultimately do whatever gets them the most money, whether it's long term reputation, short term DLC, or whatever

Yea I know... but, don't get me wrong, I just don't want that this game will be another dead game in a few months :( This is always my fear.

mrpeters
02-07-2012, 09:32 PM
No one want games to die but I think the top priority is to fix the FPS issues.

One problem Black Ops didn't fix was the optimization and they lost a huge amount of players due to that.

Jack Pipsam
02-07-2012, 10:13 PM
Don’t forget that Crysis 2, Homefront, DNF and Space Marine are not multiplayer focused games and the online was only really slapped on in them.