PDA

View Full Version : Game from Japan, yet its restricted for us Japanese?

v_1
02-08-2012, 09:20 AM
Thought to check price as I had somewhat interested to buying one copy.
But it did not showed up list and turned out this game is now region blocked for us Japanese.
Must be some license issue but I found kinda... odd :rolleyes: Hopefully this will be changes sometime later.

JoeB
02-08-2012, 12:06 PM
While that is kind of weird, if you are Japanese, why not just get Fortune Summoners Deluxe? It even has full voice acting apparently.

Kalshion
02-08-2012, 12:13 PM
While that is kind of weird, if you are Japanese, why not just get Fortune Summoners Deluxe? It even has full voice acting apparently.

Actually no, it's not weird at all. The publisher behind this game more than likely was either asked, or decided, to have this version of Fortune Summoners region locked to Japan - BECAUSE - Japan already has a version of the game that is (at least in my opinion) superior to the one being made available on Steam.

SilentCaay
02-08-2012, 01:31 PM
Actually no, it's not weird at all. The publisher behind this game more than likely was either asked, or decided, to have this version of Fortune Summoners region locked to Japan - BECAUSE - Japan already has a version of the game that is (at least in my opinion) superior to the one being made available on Steam.

Superior, maybe, but definitely much more expensive, as I hear it. On another forum I was talking to someone who seemed to have seen the game selling at Comiket going for about the equivalent of $45 USD. Of course they're going to want the US version region blocked. Region blocking exists SOLELY due to economic/price variations like this.

v_1
02-08-2012, 06:55 PM

Purely for convenient purpose.
Suppose I beat the game and uninstalled it, then wanted to re-install sometime later.
I have to dig all the URL I have keep and might be required to do authentication via phone and such.
(Most of digital distribution services provided in Japan sucks, I mean it)

But if I own it in steam... well, you know the drill :)
I wouldn't mind paying for deluxe price if it is available on steam.
I am guessing voice acting issue is the reason why steam cannot have deluxe version, which is unfortunate.

SilentCaay
02-08-2012, 07:32 PM
I am guessing voice acting issue is the reason why steam cannot have deluxe version, which is unfortunate.

To be more specific, the voice acting is the reason Carpe Fulgur couldn't license the deluxe version. the original developer, LizSoft, contracted an outside company, Jungle Japan, to do the voice work so the licensing fees for the deluxe version would have been way over what CF would be able to pay. But, who cares? The voice acting in this version is perfectly fine. Nothing wrong with it. The text-only dialogs are fine, too. If it meant paying more, I'm glad we got this version for $15-20.

mawile
02-08-2012, 10:19 PM
i understand your disappointment... i also hate, when Russian games are not available in Russian steam and the only way to play them is buying a retail copy%) that is totally a licensing problem.

v_1
02-09-2012, 02:16 AM
-snip!-

Thank you for elaborating, good to know.
I cannot say I'm happy but its totally understandable.

i understand your disappointment... i also hate, when Russian games are not available in Russian steam and the only way to play them is buying a retail copy%) that is totally a licensing problem.

Sorry to hear it :( I wish if world are much more simpler but... money comes first I guess.

giostickninja
02-09-2012, 04:00 PM
I think it will be available in Japan soon, at least according to the lizsoft website. Well, at least according to the Google.translate of the lizsoft website ;)

If you can read Japanese, maybe you can understand this better: http://lizsoft.jp/kaigaiban.htm

The Google translation says: English version for release in Japan but currently not being done for the convenience of the contract with the agency, is expected to be released soon. It should be noted that immediately after the launch, has received reports of state had been turned into an English version available for purchase in Japan accidentally temporarily.

TNinja
02-09-2012, 06:32 PM
Isn't it possible to gift the game to someone who's blocked? :V

Yeah, it sounds too cheap to actually work, but just curious.

khajiit
02-09-2012, 08:23 PM
It's funny because I just went through a lot of trouble grabbing the deluxe edition because nowhere would ship outside Japan :( Regions are such an outdated concept these days, it's really quite frustrating >_>"

TNinja
02-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Regions are meant to be assjack to people and while being afraid of "Oh noes Japan got bettar gaemz than us we must blind our peoplez derp".

I show them the finger, that's what.

JoeB
02-10-2012, 09:00 AM
It'd be nice if they could just get the licensing needed to sell the Deluxe version on Steam but with the English Localization in addition to the original Japanese but I guess that's asking too much. Yes, region locking and licensing issues are a real pain and quite a caveat in copyright law from a consumer's perspective.

Maurog
02-11-2012, 12:19 PM
Yes, it is possible to gift a game to someone who is region locked. It is legal as well. I live in Israel and I get region locked a lot, but my buddies from the USA lend a hand. It also works if you're in some country with outrageous prices, like the whole €=$ debacle, and have friends in a country with more reasonable ones.

The only caveat is if the game also has regional versions, it will be localized to the region it was bought in.

I thought of starting some sort of big chain of trusted people to help our European friends, and those suffering from region blocks, but I'm too lazy to pull it off.

TNinja
02-11-2012, 09:17 PM
Besides, who exactly can ye trust on dem internetz? :V

Especially when 90% of the internet are fll of rages.

I am very very trustworthy. :>
/hides crime log

KanameMadoka
02-18-2012, 05:20 PM
If you can get a hold of a VPN to the states, that fixes your issues, though I don't know if there are other caveats involved, regarding purchasing.

When I was in europe, I used my VPN to get away from the Eur = USD issue, because obviously when I had the ability to choose, I would always go USD.

zoinks99
02-21-2012, 01:08 PM
I think you still would need an American credit card even if you used a VPN.

Nanomage
03-15-2012, 07:40 AM
Thereīs a version with VA?
Well itīs a bummer we didnīt get that one. :(

{Yotsuba}
07-14-2012, 09:18 AM
This now appears on Steam in Japan. Is this an error like the first time it was available?

rdmx
07-18-2012, 01:40 PM
It might have been a deliberate move.

Another example of a region locked Japanese game is the upcoming Persona 4 Arena (published by Atlus), with the NA version region locked. The stated reason is business related.

'the North American release contains both Japanese and English audio tracks, and will be released very close to the Japanese version (August 7 in North America and July 26 in Japan).'

Because of the difference between the yen and the dollar's values right now, this situation could lead to mass importing. For reference, the Japanese retail price of Persona 4 Arena is Ĩ7,329, roughly $92, versus $59.99 in North America.

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2012/07/06/atlus-explains-persona-4-arenas-region-lock-expresses-surprise/

It's possible that the original developer didn't want the game to be available on Steam in Japan for a similar reason.

1kimon0
07-18-2012, 02:33 PM
There is a page in Japanese official site that states 'English version will soon be released in Japan as well', which implies this is not a mistake.

http://lizsoft.jp/kaigaiban.htm

laconic
07-18-2012, 06:19 PM
What I think is the most likely reason:
Carpe Fulgur LLC is a localization/publisher. They take games, translate them to another language, then release them. They mostly just do JP to EN.

They likely only got a license to translate the game and sell in US/EU/etc. Each area they want to sell to costs them more. Since the game is already for sale in Japan, why pay money to try to compete with the same game?

{Yotsuba}
07-18-2012, 07:16 PM
There is a page in Japanese official site that states 'English version will soon be released in Japan as well', which implies this is not a mistake.

Unfortunately, it now turns out to be a bit more complicated than that. According to CF, EGS wanted the CF pack to be available during this sale in Japan. So for the duration of this sale, the restriction on Fortune Summoners has been temporarily lifted to allow the pack to be sold in Japan. Once the sale has ended, it is likely Fortune Summoners will be regionally restricted again.

They likely only got a license to translate the game and sell in US/EU/etc.

True, however, the same is true for EGS' games too. The difference is, EGS were all too happy to have their games sold on Steam (in English and Japanese) in Japan. With CF's help, they were able to make that happen. They apparently needed CF to help negotiate with Valve due to the language barrier.

Lizsoft on the other hand, don't appear to be as enthusiastic about it. Perhaps due to the hideously expensive retail release they put out with another company.

Another example of a region locked Japanese game is the upcoming Persona 4 Arena (published by Atlus), with the NA version region locked. The stated reason is business related.

Yeah, take the move of region locking instead of the more customer friendly move of lowering the price to match the US one =/. This is why I buy the majority of my PS3 games second hand. Publishers too busy trying to rip us off, and then whining when they don't succeed.

They don't want people importing from other regions, then make the domestic releases more appealing!

zoinks99
07-18-2012, 07:33 PM
When in Japan, do you still have access to the store deals for your account's home region, and do those games still work?

{Yotsuba}
07-18-2012, 08:37 PM
When in Japan, do you still have access to the store deals for your account's home region, and do those games still work?

I'm not sure how this is relevant to the topic at hand, but... Steam always shows you the store page based on your current IP address. So if you're in the US, you'll see the US store. If you're in Japan, you'll see the Japan store. If you have US billing information, you won't be able to purchase from the Japan store and vice versa. You'll need to contact Steam support to have them enable purchasing.

Games on the other hand are an entirely different matter. The majority of games on Steam can be played from anywhere in the world, regardless of where in the world you purchased them. Some games, however, are locked to specific countries.

zoinks99
07-18-2012, 10:22 PM
I see, thanks. I was just wondering about it.

話題から外れてすみません。