PDA

View Full Version : Achievements not working?

robthebob11
02-09-2012, 10:07 AM
Umm...is anyone else not getting any achievements? I've progressed far enough in the game to get both Diplomacy and Geminis, but neither of them popped. I'm playing in Developer Commentary mode if that makes a difference. Any idea what the problem might be?

robthebob11
02-09-2012, 10:10 AM
Just noticed something else. My achievements say 100% in the game even though I just started playing. In Steam it says I have none. Is it supposed to say that?

WadjetEye
02-09-2012, 05:30 PM
This is happening to a lot of our customers lately. There was a Steam client update a few days ago, which might be the reason this is happening. We had to do a lot of finagling to get the achievements to work, so hopefully there is a way to fix this properly. We're in contact with Steam and hopefully (knock on wood) we can get this sorted.

robthebob11
02-09-2012, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the response. I'll keep my eye out for a fix in the future. :)

DevilXXX210
02-23-2012, 07:45 AM
Achievements don't work for me either. They're count nor on the achievement page in options menu, nor in the steam :(.

WadjetEye
02-23-2012, 03:39 PM
Hi again. We're trying to fix this problem without breaking everybody's savegames again, which is why it's taking a tad longer. Sorry about that.

-Dave

Fragpuss
02-25-2012, 09:14 AM
yeah my achievements aren't unlocking either, still no biggie, just means i get to play this awesome game through again to get them :D

One other bug i noticed though is, when you press escape to bring up the menu, when you close the menu it leaves the right half of the screen completely black or with a mix of colours just randomly placed all over, the same happens when you die and have to load an autosave

Bullsquid
02-25-2012, 12:55 PM
Will I have to complete the game one more time in order to get my achievements recorded properly after you fix them?

WadjetEye
02-27-2012, 10:54 AM
Good news - our programmer has created a fix that *should* solve everything. Unfortunately his timing is a bit awful as we are in the midst of traveling right and we can't implement the changes from where we are. But we have our laptops with us and we'll try to get the changes up on Steam as soon as we can. Thanks again for your patience!

edit: Aaand we've uploaded the fix to Steam and we're just waiting for them to approve it. Unfortunately, the achievements won't retroactively activate. If you activated the achievements before the fix, then you'll have to activate them again in order for them to show up in your Steam client. Sorry about that.

Mivo
02-27-2012, 08:47 PM
Thank you for the update! I had picked up the game just recently and was waiting for a fix before diving into it. Granted, that's a tad silly, but for some reasons achievements add to the game experience, even if it is irrational. :)

ilovedawkins
03-01-2012, 05:59 AM
Yeah just ran through the game for the first time and got no achievements, oh well, if there is a fix coming then that is an excuse to play it again... I'm selling these fine grey trench coats...

Mivo
03-02-2012, 11:00 PM
Did the update get delayed? I don't think I have received it yet. (I have no idea how long it usually takes for Steam to "turn on" updates. :))

antiKk
03-08-2012, 02:07 AM
I just completed the game and confirm no achievements are working.

SiMMENS
03-08-2012, 02:32 PM
Yeah just realized there was this problem with the game and no achievements for me. Loving the game so far though!

CaptainTrips00
03-08-2012, 03:17 PM
They don't work for me either, but I don't really miss them. It has something to do with the game engine and a recent patch steam did breaking it. Wadjet is working on a fix, but these things take time, expecially for indies like them.

Zewnya
03-30-2012, 11:41 PM
Aw. It still not unlocking. :(

Mivo
03-31-2012, 07:45 AM
There's not been a patch so far, no. Still unchanged, and there hasn't been a word yet.

WadjetEye
04-04-2012, 05:14 AM
Hi. Sorry. There's been a thread on the forum for our other game, which is also having the same problem. Honestly, this is a mystery to all of us. Something about the recent Steam update didn't click right with the AGS engine and stopped the achievements from working. AGS isn't open source, so we aren't able to just dive into the engine code to sort out what's wrong.

Unfortunately this happened at the worst possible time, since we are crunching on our next project and we have very little time to work on it. No manpower either. Wadjet Eye is just made up of me and my wife! But we do know that this is a problem. We're talking with the AGS tech folks and trying to figure out what went wrong. Hopefully somebody will have an answer.

Liderangel
04-04-2012, 10:51 PM
Hi. Sorry. There's been a thread on the forum for our other game, which is also having the same problem. Honestly, this is a mystery to all of us. Something about the recent Steam update didn't click right with the AGS engine and stopped the achievements from working. AGS isn't open source, so we aren't able to just dive into the engine code to sort out what's wrong.

Unfortunately this happened at the worst possible time, since we are crunching on our next project and we have very little time to work on it. No manpower either. Wadjet Eye is just made up of me and my wife! But we do know that this is a problem. We're talking with the AGS tech folks and trying to figure out what went wrong. Hopefully somebody will have an answer.

Only 2 people? Wow, that's cool. The game is great and just made by 2?

I think that I saw an update from another indie game with this issue, in the patch notes they put "Updated to the last Steamworks SDK" (Toki Tori).
It has something to do with that?

Trajan330
04-07-2012, 09:09 PM
The achievements didn't work for me either. Hope they get fixed soon, but I will gladly play again to get them.

ScapulaRemix
04-23-2012, 08:19 AM
Love the feel of the game. Some of the sprites overlap incorrectly and some of the actions feel unwarranted (i.e. you need to have a reason to talk to someone you don't know, but you don't need to have a reason for SHOOTING someone you don't know). Still a good game, especially for a company run by two people. Achievements not working for me either; Haven't decided if that's worth playing through it again.

SiMMENS
04-27-2012, 02:09 AM
So did they ever fix this?

Mivo
04-27-2012, 03:29 AM
So did they ever fix this?

Sadly, no. I was surprised that it went on sale without the achievements having been fixed.

dvdmonster
04-27-2012, 10:27 PM
Too busy working on new projects to fix a major bug like this?
This is terrible.
Just played the game and don't get any achievements either.
I'm not buying anything from those guys again, thats for sure.

quantity
04-28-2012, 03:39 AM
Hi. Sorry.
Don't be. I've made a save-game on the end-screen and will wait for this bug-fix.

ShowMeTheMonkey
04-28-2012, 07:22 AM
Too busy working on new projects to fix a major bug like this?
This is terrible.
Just played the game and don't get any achievements either.
I'm not buying anything from those guys again, thats for sure.

HAHA. So achievements is all that matters to you? You realise this is a well crafted game already? Or do you have to have a game within a game for any enjoyment?

They've already explained. Steam broke it, they can't fix it because they don't own Adventure Game Studio. Simple.

On a lighter note... Just finished the game! Fantastic piece of work.

Pablopictures
04-28-2012, 07:32 AM
Any solution?

In options> achievements are all unlocked żż??:(

WadjetEye
04-29-2012, 04:38 PM
Hello again everyone!

So, update. We *think* we've got it fixed this time, but we are doing a bunch of tests to make sure it 100% works before uploading another fix (since we all remember how well that worked out last time).

Again, so sorry about this. As I said, the timing couldn't have been worse. Rest assured that we're on it and will get the fix up as soon as we know it works!

-Dave

Prince_Valiant
04-30-2012, 01:22 AM
Hello again everyone!

So, update. We *think* we've got it fixed this time, but we are doing a bunch of tests to make sure it 100% works before uploading another fix (since we all remember how well that worked out last time).

Again, so sorry about this. As I said, the timing couldn't have been worse. Rest assured that we're on it and will get the fix up as soon as we know it works!

-Dave

Great news! But I've bought your game recently during the Daily Deal and I can say you made a great work even without achievements. (Except the action scenes perhaps.) After this pleasant experience I really consider to buy the Blackwell legacy if I'm done with Risen 2.

sepplordzeroOne
04-30-2012, 10:49 AM
Rest assured that we're on it and will get the fix up as soon as we know it works!thanks for your tenacity in this! i'll enjoy playing through again your masterpiece with running achievements!

MEMANIA
05-01-2012, 07:41 PM
Weird that the achievements WERE working and now NOT working. I just started playing, but now I'm considering waiting... then again I could always do a Commentary playthrough down the road if I ever wanted... I might just do that.

Then again, what's the potential time table on this potentially fixed release? I might just delay my playthrough if it's only going to be another week or so.

Br3ach
05-03-2012, 10:25 AM
Weird that the achievements WERE working and now NOT working. I just started playing, but now I'm considering waiting... then again I could always do a Commentary playthrough down the road if I ever wanted... I might just do that.

Then again, what's the potential time table on this potentially fixed release? I might just delay my playthrough if it's only going to be another week or so.

Don't hold your breath - it's been about 3 months now...

WadjetEye
05-03-2012, 11:21 AM
UPDATE!

So we've tested it on several computers and we think we've got it working. I've just submitted the update to Steam and it's just a matter of waiting for them to hit the "accept update" button.

We know it works on our local machines, but for obvious reasons we haven't been able to test it on Steam itself. So cross your fingers! And again, apologies for this taking so long. If we can confirm it works for Gemini, we'll roll the update onto the Blackwell games as well.

Orlando
05-03-2012, 02:02 PM
Was just wondering why the game is downloading, thanks! Gonna test it right away.
/edit
I don't think it's working, I don't see the "achievements" button in the options menu, also I evaded the bad guys while escaping with Matthiaus and nothing appeared. >:(

MEMANIA
05-03-2012, 03:02 PM
Don't hold your breath - it's been about 3 months now...

UPDATE!

So we've tested it on several computers and we think we've got it working. I've just submitted the update to Steam and it's just a matter of waiting for them to hit the "accept update" button.

TAKE THAT NAYSAYER! Although the other post makes it sound like it's brokened more? We'll find out I guess!

WadjetEye
05-03-2012, 03:33 PM
We're having some teething problems with this, which I was afraid of. The AGS engine and Steam do NOT get along! Thanks again for your patience.

WadjetEye
05-03-2012, 04:37 PM
Doublepost! The update is up and the game runs!

After all this, I really hope that the achievements actually work now!

-Dave

kalirion
05-03-2012, 06:17 PM
Posted this in the other thread too, but I guess its more appropriate here - I loaded a really old save, and the game tells me I have 100% achievements completed, even through I only have 2 (as per Steam.) Should I clear them to be able to get Steam achievements?

Ecco Dolphin
05-03-2012, 06:25 PM
After all this, I really hope that the achievements actually work now!
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I just beat the game today after the update and have 0 achievements, after starting the game last week.

MEMANIA
05-03-2012, 06:59 PM
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I just beat the game today after the update and have 0 achievements, after starting the game last week.

You may have to restart a game from before the achievements broke? That's a guess?

When is our earliest opportunity to get an achievement, and do they unlock AS you do them or is it weird (Sword and Sworcery only unlocked them when you went to the main menu.)

EDIT: Started a new game and it still shows achievements as 100% up top. I'm not sure what the deal is, but I'm guessing that's not working as intended, and resetting the achievements does nothing too. I also loaded up a save prior to the Hibiscus stairs and walked up all of them as soon as I had the opportunity, and no luck.

sepplordzeroOne
05-04-2012, 01:16 AM
and no luck.same here.

Prince_Valiant
05-04-2012, 02:05 AM
Achievements doesn't work yet. :(

WadjetEye
05-04-2012, 03:40 AM
Gahhhh.

Everything checks out fine on our test server, but when it goes live it just dies.

OK this means war. >:|

Stay tuned.

edit: We've got another idea. I've uploaded another update (a small one this time! promise!). It's 5am where Valve is right now, so it will be a few hours before it goes live. Knock on wood it bloody works this time!

Yeesh, I must look SO professional right now. :p

MEMANIA
05-04-2012, 06:18 AM

Bug fixing is all about trial and error, especially when you can't fully recreate the EXACT environment the game is going to be on, it's a lot of guess work. So, don't worry about it, you made an awesome game that for all sakes and purposes seems to work where it counts. For the amount of people on your team, the minimal amount of bugs is amazing. :)

WadjetEye
05-04-2012, 09:33 AM
Patch is updated, and I've confirmed that the savegames still work. I also managed to unlock one of the achievements while running live off Steam... so I think we got it this time! Could someone here confirm the same?

Orlando
05-04-2012, 09:34 AM
Now it works! Just got the stairs achievement! :)

WadjetEye
05-04-2012, 09:38 AM
Now it works! Just got the stairs achievement! :)

YESSSS.

You don't know how much this issue has been bugging me over the last few months. Hopefully the next Steam client update won't break it again! :eek:

Orlando
05-04-2012, 09:53 AM
And now the diplomacy achievement, so yeah, we're on. :) *5*

BaloogyMcBoy
05-04-2012, 10:07 AM
Wow! That's great news, I might celebrate later with a speed run of all the blackwell games when the update hits live there :D

MEMANIA
05-04-2012, 10:15 AM
YESSSS.

You don't know how much this issue has been bugging me over the last few months. Hopefully the next Steam client update won't break it again! :eek:

I guess I picked the right time to start playing the game then since it only took like a day to fix it in my world. :)

Mivo
05-04-2012, 12:27 PM

Let me put it bluntly: I think many of us gamers are fairly tired of the usual "professional" bits and lines that we get from larger companies, because often it's just marketing-flavoured manure intended to avoid, distract, cover up or "bs", and it feels disrespectful.

So, I for one quite like your direct, genuine approach and openness. I believe that many people are understanding if something goes wrong or screw-ups happen -- as long as they are communicated with. Thank you, and thank you for fixing this bug. Both is very much appreciated. :)

sepplordzeroOne
05-04-2012, 12:30 PM
And now the diplomacy achievement, so yeah, we're on. :) *5*
same here -> http://s1.directupload.net/images/120504/87lsux72.jpg

appreciate this, wadjet! thanks a lot.

Pablopictures
05-04-2012, 04:24 PM
It works!!!! Thank You!!! ;)

Goenitz
05-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Great news. Will you apply the same solution to the Blackwell games?

Br3ach
05-05-2012, 02:43 AM
Well, I'm glad this is finally solved. Looking forward to completing the game with all achievements now.

WadjetEye
05-05-2012, 06:27 AM
Great news. Will you apply the same solution to the Blackwell games?

Yes we will! Unfortunately, Steam switched me over to the new content management system before I could do that. Which means we have to make time to learn how the new system works before we can apply any updates. But it'll come! Next week, probably.

Evon
05-07-2012, 02:57 AM
Now it works!
But not for me :(

WadjetEye
05-07-2012, 03:37 AM
Evon - are you new to the game or had you already played through the game before? How are you trying to unlock the achievements?

Evon
05-07-2012, 09:03 AM
Evon - are you new to the game or had you already played through the game before? How are you trying to unlock the achievements?
my bad. everyting is working now. thanks for your update :)

WadjetEye
05-07-2012, 10:11 AM
Sweet! Had me worried for a minute. :)

kalirion
05-07-2012, 10:16 AM
Too bad I'm going to miss the Scavenger achievement as I found one magazine while achievements weren't working, so it didn't get recorded.

Ah well, what's an achievement here or there :)

Besides, I might have missed one magazine earlier too, no way to know for sure without checking a walkthrough.

MEMANIA
05-07-2012, 12:12 PM
Besides, I might have missed one magazine earlier too, no way to know for sure without checking a walkthrough.

Trust me, extra easy to burn through the game for achievements. I had a save after a shoot-out, and once I realized this had to restart... then I forgot to go to Spike for the Easter Egg achievement! I was dual-playing saves for about an hour until I finally had all my achievements sorted out (or already unlocked on another save.)

kalirion
05-07-2012, 11:16 PM
Trust me, extra easy to burn through the game for achievements. I had a save after a shoot-out, and once I realized this had to restart... then I forgot to go to Spike for the Easter Egg achievement! I was dual-playing saves for about an hour until I finally had all my achievements sorted out (or already unlocked on another save.)

Eh, I don't crave achievements enough to spend even a half hour using a walkthrough to get through an adventure game I've already completed. Though maybe sometime down the line I'll play through again for the commentary track, and see what I can accomplish then...

thedemon1238
07-18-2012, 05:35 PM
Achievements doesn't work for me. :( I unlocked them in the game, but they doesn't appear in my profile after that. (In the option->achievements menu too)

Shr00md
07-26-2012, 04:15 PM
Yes, same problem here.
Actually it doesn't even show in my library that there are achievements available for this game, only on the games shop site.

WadjetEye
07-27-2012, 03:56 AM
Hm. That's weird that the achievements have died... again? Did you purchase the game recently? Or did you buy the game awhile ago and are only just playing it now?

overfreezing
07-27-2012, 11:08 PM
Not sure if it will help, but I start playing the game today (brought it a while ago), and achievements are working fine for me.

remoteman213
08-08-2012, 03:20 AM
Achievements still working here,