PDA

View Full Version : Hire period - am I missing something?

PuerNoctis
02-12-2012, 11:03 AM
Hey guys,

One short question about BIA, and I apologize if it has been answered elsewhere (did quick search, didn't find anything):

I am about three hours into the game, and now that the first day is about to end, I realized that I don't really know how long my first mercs have been hired - couldn't select anything like in the original JA2.

Is it one week? Or just one day? Can anyone tell me if I am missing a selection on how long I want to hire them? And if this feature has been removed, what the heck is the default period then?

Hope anyone can help me :)

EDIT: Oh, and I've already checked the manual, didn't say anything about that either :(

trucane
02-12-2012, 11:08 AM
Mercs are hired until they die or you beat the game

PuerNoctis
02-12-2012, 11:14 AM
Oh, thanks for the quick reply trucane.

Although I don't have to pay my mercs on a regular basis anymore it's kinda...... well, sad that they removed the hire periods to be honest.

C'est la vie...

NightLight
02-12-2012, 11:15 AM
You dont hire them, you buy their soul :)

PuerNoctis
02-12-2012, 11:18 AM
Haha -- 10.000 bucks for a soldier's life. Isn't that kind of slavery?^^ Well, works for me, in you go ya little sheeple :D

Ashkent
02-12-2012, 11:19 AM
Thats good to hear because i'm on day 3 or so and there's no way I'd have enough money to pay for another week.

Stormbride
02-12-2012, 03:01 PM
As it is the developers skipped the merc salary but to have a money sink you cannot repair armor, which get's pretty expensive later on when you have to keep buying the stuff.
It seems the case is being looked in.

Personally I prefer the salary.

On another note ... I think I had the first mine on day 3 or 5, don't remember which (mine was the first thing I went after). So no real probs with money.

Korpah
02-12-2012, 03:03 PM
the should stick with merc salary, cause that also gives an extra feature of a merc not wanting to extent his contract wich adds more variables in the game, this game is realy not replayable, while the early series are

Paladin74
02-12-2012, 11:27 PM
Developers forgot so many things. One of them is hire period. So you buy merc till death thorn you apart.

Pheace
02-12-2012, 11:50 PM
Although hiring mercs would kind of annoy me a bit I think I'd prefer that to my precious armors helplessly decaying. It's annoying when you have a nice camouflage set and it decays and is lost.

michaelmerlin
02-13-2012, 12:05 AM
All contracts are for the duration of the operation in this game. Not a huge deal, but a bit annoying. (It also removes the possibility, in the old game, of hiring someone for a day to get early help and access to their gear).

They really, really simplified the management of inventory and equipment. The most annoying flaw, I think, is that as far as I can tell you can't split an inventory stack. So if Wolf has 120 rounds of 5.56, he can't give Grunty 60 of it. He has to drop the whole stack and let grunty reload.

Pheace
02-13-2012, 12:32 AM
The most annoying flaw, I think, is that as far as I can tell you can't split an inventory stack. So if Wolf has 120 rounds of 5.56, he can't give Grunty 60 of it. He has to drop the whole stack and let grunty reload.

Good news then, just hold shift and move the stack to another slot, you'll be able to split it into whatever number you want. Have to do it in the inventory though I believe, doesn't seem to work on the shop windows.

Ashkent
02-13-2012, 06:23 PM
Good news then, just hold shift and move the stack to another slot, you'll be able to split it into whatever number you want. Have to do it in the inventory though I believe, doesn't seem to work on the shop windows.

doesn't work in trade windows either, only personal inventory

DarkJeff
02-14-2012, 10:52 AM
Hm, it occurs to me that even if they're working for 30 days for that 10k, that's pulling six figures a year. Six times that of the average soldier. Not to mention we're constantly giving them thousands of dollars worth of gear...

Mercenaries in real life earn about $150k to $250k per year, so it actually averages out with the high cost contracts. Nifty.