PDA

View Full Version : Problems with installing my optical drives and hard drives.

DarthSatoris
02-13-2012, 10:42 AM
Hi.

So, I'm currently installing my components into my brand new and yummy chassis, Cooler Master Cosmos II, and everything is going fine so far.

But I've encountered a little problem. I don't know how to install my optical drive (a DVD ROM) and my HDD. I have two of those yellow L-shaped cables and they both fit into my drives, but I don't really know where I need to install them on my mother board.

I have an EX58-UD3R Gigabyte motherboard. There are eight ports that fit these L-shaped cables, two of them are white, the rest are blue. The white ones are (according to the EX58-UD3R's online manual) GSATA2_0/1 connections and the blue ones are SATA2_0/1/2/3/4/5 connections.

Am I doing it right if I insert both the optical drive and the hard drive in the white ones?

Please respond quickly.

PS. and no, I do not possess an IDE cable.

cereal3
02-13-2012, 10:50 AM
The difference is GSATA is controlled by the Gigabyte SATA2 chip and the other guys are controlled by the Intel bridges (but is also SATA2).

I'd go for the blue ones, I think the white ones are for raid setups and GSATA can be slightly slower as a result if you use them for single drives.

TeKraken
02-13-2012, 10:56 AM
according to this:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3265#sp

the only difference is the controller chip (South Bridge or GIGABYTE SATA2 chip).

They are all sata2.

rotNdude
02-13-2012, 10:57 AM
Those connectors will work and so will the other ports. The GSATA ports are connected to the Gigabyte chipset for SATA/IDE and the other is through the Intel Southbridge chipset.

DarthSatoris
02-13-2012, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the help guys, I got it working now. :)

SirDrexl
02-13-2012, 08:24 PM
Unless you need to connect more than 6 drives, I would just use the Intel connectors, and disable the Gigabyte connectors in the BIOS/EFI. It's just one less driver to deal with.

Bad_Motha
02-13-2012, 08:45 PM
Unless you need to connect more than 6 drives, I would just use the Intel connectors, and disable the Gigabyte connectors in the BIOS/EFI. It's just one less driver to deal with.

Or set the Gigabyte ones to IDE mode and hookup your optical drives to that and leave all the Intel ones on AHCI mode.