PDA

View Full Version : What does Valve normally do when a scammer issues a chargeback?

ninjafruit
02-15-2012, 02:45 AM
I know this one dude who spent $7000 on Skyrim and MW3, traded those for TF2 items, and revoked all those purchases. Would the scammed people get their items back?

Fish-E
02-15-2012, 02:48 AM
I know this one dude who spent $7000 on Skyrim and MW3, traded those for TF2 items, and revoked all those purchases. Would the scammed people get their items back?

As is stated in the support article (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9958-MJDG-3003) you will have your items restored.

Europhoria
02-15-2012, 03:30 AM
How did he spend $7000 on those two games?! :confused: Any trade made within Valve's sanctioned trade window will see the items returned to their rightful owners otherwise they're up the creek without a paddle.

s1234567890m
02-15-2012, 03:51 AM
must of bought the super deluxe editons

bigcow200
02-15-2012, 03:51 AM
Scammer get his account disabled cause chargebacks aren't allowed

Victims get their items back

Washell
02-15-2012, 04:01 AM
How did he spend $7000 on those two games?! :confused:

$7000 / $50 = 140 copies. He's been the talk of the forum the last week, lots of people got affected by him. I don't think he thought things through. He's done a ton of trades, it's still going to be traced back to his actual account, which will be suspended and will take $7000 dollar to open again. He's also going to have a hard time trying to get a new account going.

Of course, that's assuming it wasn't done by a criminal who cashed out already.

Tito Shivan
02-15-2012, 04:26 AM
$7000 / $50 = 140 copies. He's been the talk of the forum the last week, lots of people got affected by him. I don't think he thought things through. He's done a ton of trades, it's still going to be traced back to his actual account, which will be suspended and will take $7000 dollar to open again. He's also going to have a hard time trying to get a new account going.

I smell stolen/duplicated CC and a mule account. Most of the items may already been cashed out and the scammer long time gone.

Anyway, people got their items back from what i heard... But what about people who received them in 'legit' trades? Were the items removed from these individuals or Valve left them with 'copies' of the items??

ninjafruit
02-15-2012, 04:35 AM
I smell stolen/duplicated CC and a mule account. Most of the items may already been cashed out and the scammer long time gone.

Anyway, people got their items back from what i heard... But what about people who received them in 'legit' trades? Were the items removed from these individuals or Valve left them with 'copies' of the items??

***ZAP***This is the perpetrator.. He's a 14 year old kid who probably somehow got his mom's credit card.

Kea Black
02-15-2012, 04:35 AM
I think that everyone will return at his pre-transaction status (all the transaction)

If the scammer has gotten a tf2 hat from user A, then traded the hat for a game with user B, user A will get back the hat, and user B get back the game

if some users traded real money instead of steam tradable objects I fear they have lost their money

Spaceguy5
02-15-2012, 04:40 AM
<removed>

This is the perpetrator.. He's a 14 year old kid who probably somehow got his mom's credit card.

Wow, he's such a boss, look at how he went from nothing to something in less than 2 mounths |=......

jenovaweapon
02-15-2012, 04:43 AM
http://steamcommunity.com/id/lethal_sniper63/

This is the perpetrator.. He's a 14 year old kid who probably somehow got his mom's credit card.

Did you trade within the Steam trading guidelines or did you trade for keys?

If you traded for CD keys, I believe you're ♥♥♥♥ out of luck for getting your item back.

Europhoria
02-15-2012, 04:49 AM

I see. I thought it was weird for just two copies of those games. o_o Hopefully Valve do make it really difficult for him to create a new account. Hah! They even got his Facebook page. :D

ninjafruit
02-15-2012, 04:50 AM
Did you trade within the Steam trading guidelines or did you trade for keys?

If you traded for CD keys, I believe you're ♥♥♥♥ out of luck for getting your item back.
It's a bit complicated see.. I've done a trade with this kid ***ZAP***When the games got revoked, He said he got about tons of games from the scammer which he bought for cheap and he himself got scammed. I traded for 3 TF2 earbuds worth about 100 dollars for 3 copies of Modern Warfare 3.

jenovaweapon
02-15-2012, 04:51 AM
Did you or did you not put the items in the trade window? I don't see what's hard to understand about that question.

ninjafruit
02-15-2012, 04:52 AM
Ughh, 4:51am here, yes I did it through window.

Tito Shivan
02-15-2012, 04:55 AM
http://steamcommunity.com/id/lethal_sniper63/

Kids these days... Not connected since 3 days ago, i'm afraid mommy is beating his ♥♥♥ like a rented mule...

An account with little more than Orange Box starts trading 60$ games as if there was no tomorrow...
Seems Legit. :rolleyes:
(Do people even care about doing a liiitle research before doing certain kind of trades??)

I think that everyone will return at his pre-transaction status (all the transaction)

If the scammer has gotten a tf2 hat from user A, then traded the hat for a game with user B, user A will get back the hat, and user B get back the game

if some users traded real money instead of steam tradable objects I fear they have lost their money
My inquiry is more related about what happens when the items change hands more than once.
A trades item to B
B trades the item to C
and so on...

These cases make doing a rollback of the transactions a living nightmare.

ninjafruit
02-15-2012, 04:58 AM
^^ That's essentially my predicament. I paid 3 earbuds for 3 copies of MW3 through a reseller who also happens to get scammed by the first guy.

Washell
02-15-2012, 05:10 AM
^^ That's essentially my predicament. I paid 3 earbuds for 3 copies of MW3 through a reseller who also happens to get scammed by the first guy.

If you did it with the official Valve trade window, you're fine. Contact support and you'll get the buds back.

MADDOGGE
02-15-2012, 05:38 AM
What do I do if I was scammed?

If you are scammed, please contact Steam Support and create a ticket within the Steam Trading Category. You will not receive any items or gifts lost in the trade, however reporting the scammer will allow us to take appropriate action. Please include as much information about the trade as possible.

Kea Black
02-15-2012, 06:02 AM
My inquiry is more related about what happens when the items change hands more than once.
A trades item to B
B trades the item to C
and so on...

These cases make doing a rollback of the transactions a living nightmare.

and what I've said?
I'll try to put it in your scheme

A trades a hat with S (the scammer)
S trades the hat with B
and so on...

yes, it is a living nightmare, it'll be difficult for the support to restore everything to the initial state, but it is possible since the trade transanctions leave traces

zonkz
02-15-2012, 07:55 AM
Did you really had to wait until someone chargebacks the games, when you got even 3 titles, total worth 180 dollars, for virtual items with a total "value" around 90 dollars, to realize that something is wrong?

Who on earth would buy a game for 60, to trade it for maximal 30 dollars in virtual items? And who would think thats legit?
I really wonder about some things happen.

Reminds me on a case, when someone claimed:
"I got scammed off a refined metal, because i just got a guest pass for killing floor, instead of the full game!"
Easy victims are those, who think, they would be the one who 0wns in a trade.
If they had not become the victim, they had made another one the loser of the trade. No pity.

DoubleD
02-15-2012, 08:14 AM
All answers are here.

Steam Trading Policy
(https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9958-MJDG-3003)