PDA

View Full Version : The Significance of Twenty-One? (SPOILERS)

Hangar34
02-15-2012, 01:12 PM
There ware several references to the number twenty-one (21) in Dear Esther:

- the number of times the narrator drove the M5 motorway, looking for signs of the accident.

- the number of miles between the Sandford junction (which incidentally is No.21 on the M5) and the narrator's home.

- the number of days that passed before Donnelly's body was opened up by medical students.

- the number of minutes the narrator watches the aircraft vapour trails.

- the number of paper boats that split up into the ocean.

- the number of connections in the circuit diagram of the anti-lock brakes.

- the number of species of gull on the island.

Did you find any more?
What is the significance of the number twenty-one in Dear Esther?
Traditionally it is the age of consent, but I doubt if that is directly relevant here.

ApeSpecter
02-15-2012, 01:29 PM
it took the police 21 minutes to arrive
paul was "dead" for 21 minutes
it took 21 times to convince him to wake up
narrator attempted 21 times to find the way of donnelly

DazJW
02-15-2012, 01:43 PM
Traditionally it is the age of consent, but I doubt if that is directly relevant here.

The writer is British and 21 doesn't mean that here. The age of consent for sex and the age you can get married is 16 (you need parental permission to be married until you're 18), driving age is 17 and the age for everything else is 18.

It could be Esther's age? Or maybe how long the narrator was involved with Esther in whatever way he was?

MenschFeind
02-15-2012, 02:26 PM
I actually did not notice this in the game, but the first thing I'd relate the number 21 to in the game's story would be the theory that the soul weights 21 grams ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duncan_MacDougall_(doctor) ).

Hangar34
02-15-2012, 02:39 PM
MenschFeind, that is a very interesting observation, which I hadn't even connected.

nightseifer
02-16-2012, 01:43 AM
There is no significants to the number 21 except for those the player wishes to ascribe to them. It is intentionally mentioned multiple time to add to its mystery. Or possible to show the power of coincidence.