PDA

View Full Version : Improvements Needed

jsmith1001
02-15-2012, 05:29 PM
Played the game for about 10 minutes, and I'm seeing some serious drawbacks of this particular form of art. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore this "game", or more accurately, this dynamic novel, and these ideas are my serious thoughts.

- Auto-walk(as I posted before) (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2546146)
For an exploring game like this, an auto-walk key would be a huge relief to player's left hand;)

- some kind of "library"
Yes, it would be awesome - actually it's necessary - to have a "library" that has all the discovered fragments of the voice-acting, so players can put the story together after they complete the game. Maybe an indicator showing that some parts of the story are still undiscovered. Maybe an achievement for finding all pages, and put them together in right order. I'm kinda surprised that the game doesn't have that already.

- Jukebox!
Of course! This game has awesome soundtrack! And wouldn't it be amazing if you could listen to some music that is specifically created for this novel when you're trying to go through the story in the library?

- depths-of-field? mist?
Well, I think that Valve should take this game as an technological show-off of the updated Source engine, since there has been lots of improvements since HL2: Lost Coast. The graphic, especially the models and textures are astonishing, but IMO it really lacks some "depth"...And maybe some graphic tricks would help. However, these are just minor problems compared to what I mentioned above.

That's all for now. And last but by no means least, for the dev: u guys are awesome. Salute!

freakintiger
02-15-2012, 06:04 PM
Umm, the auto-walk is not a very good idea. You're not supposed to walk-through the game. I stopped every 4-6 seconds, looked around. If you like to walk-through it, ok, but actually implementing an auto-walk sends a weird message.

The library thingy sounds interesting. But I presume it isn't in there because it's supposed to be experienced every time you play it. I don't know.

floyd ryan
02-15-2012, 06:24 PM
While I usually despise playing FPS Games with a controller, in this case it's suits very well. Just lean back and immerse yourself into the game. Works much better that auto-walk.

Quacklesnap
02-15-2012, 06:50 PM
Umm, the auto-walk is not a very good idea. You're not supposed to walk-through the game. I stopped every 4-6 seconds, looked around. If you like to walk-through it, ok, but actually implementing an auto-walk sends a weird message.

The library thingy sounds interesting. But I presume it isn't in there because it's supposed to be experienced every time you play it. I don't know.

Autowalk is a bad idea, I agree, though WASD is a terrible control scheme for this game.

I ended up rebinding RMB to walk. If I wanted to stop walking I let go, and looked around. Much easier on the hands, and feels more realistic.

FearItSelf23
02-15-2012, 10:26 PM
Auto walk is a good idea used correctly. It doesn't mean you can't stop moving to view things or that you will be forced different directions but for things like the first chapter while walking up the hill yes auto walk would be useful. Also Auto walk doesn't mean you lose control it just means you don't hold w you can still change direction etc.

Aura891
02-15-2012, 10:44 PM
I ended up rebinding RMB to walk. If I wanted to stop walking I let go, and looked around. Much easier on the hands, and feels more realistic.

So...instead of pushing something down with your middle finger on your left hand, you rebinded it so you would push something down with your index finger on your right hand

And that somehow magically made the game easier on the hands and feel more realistic....

right.........................

you can have a preference all you want, and that's fine, however, your logic doesn't make any sense, either you're pushing a button with one finger, or you're pushing a button with another finger, there is absolutely no difference

MustardJeep
02-15-2012, 10:53 PM
meh played it with my razer hydra.... can't tell you how freaky playing it that way was.

If they added a avatar and mapped the game for the novent falcon the level of detail would be incredible, a veritable art gallery to walk through.

Hellstrong
02-16-2012, 12:06 AM
Good idea binding it to right mouse button :-) now i can lean back in my comphy chair and enjoy :-)

Irongiant666
02-16-2012, 02:33 AM
As a suggestion, I'd like to see a save-game library feature, ie the ability to save in multiple points and reload whichever ones that you require (in order to study or replay a specific part of the game for example). It seems a bit limiting to have only one save point.