PDA

View Full Version : Alan Wake PC - Graphics Settings

MarkusRMD
02-15-2012, 11:42 PM
Hi all!

This post is meant to describe the graphics settings of Alan Wake in some detail, and tell how they affect performance.

RESOLUTION - Resolution can be adjusted freely based on what your graphics card / monitor tells our game it can do. The game supports different aspect ratios too. Increasing resolution is fairly GPU-heavy as the game also increases the resolution of many of the internal rendering buffers.

Alan Wake needs a minimum 1024x768 resolution to run. When you first run the game, it tries to run in your desktop resolution unless you have a very slow system (there is a very light-weight automatic performance detection on the first run).

If you have low performance we recommend you run the game at 1280x720 or 1024x768.

VSYNC - You can enable or disable the vertical sync. Disabling it causes the game to render "as fast as it can" meaning your frame rate may go up, but also will cause the game to "tear (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_tearing)" and the frame rate to feel more uneven.

GRAPHICS QUALITY - Low, Medium, High or Custom. A few pre-defined settings for different performance levels.

ANTIALIASING - 2x, 4x, 8x - defines the full screen MSAA level. 8x is pretty expensive for the GPU. Best performance & visual compromise is 4x setting and FXAA set to high. Antialiasing can't be disabled in Alan Wake, as the engine has been designed so that AA is on at all times. If you disable it from e.g. driver's control panel, the game will likely work but you will see visual artifacts.

FXAA - Off, Low, High. FXAA is a complementary post-processing anti-alias technique. It's not really expensive, but should be turned off on low-end systems. High uses a slightly slower, better quality technique.

ANISOTROPIC FILTERING - Off, 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x - sets the texture filter mode. Makes the textures look sharper/nicer.

SHADOW QUALITY - Low, Medium, High. Low is meant for older, low end systems. This setting really affects CPU and GPU performance. Low renders one shadow region less and the shadow draw distance is small. Medium corresponds approximately to what the Xbox360 build does, and high has increased resolution and filtering.

SSAO Quality - Off, Low, High - Screen Space Ambient Occlusion is a post-processing effect that makes objects look like they fit better in the scene by shadowing the edges. Needs purely GPU power. High uses better quality effect and takes quite a lot of power, Low can look a bit noisy at times.

BACKDROP QUALITY - Low, Medium, High - affects the rendering quality of the game world's backdrop beyond draw distance (see below). A good compromise on a medium PC may be lowering draw distance but keeping this setting at medium or high, as the performance effect is not huge, but the Low quality backdrop can look a bit blocky.

GODRAY QUALITY - Off, High. God Rays from the sun are on only during daytime scenes. On a low end graphics card this can take a lot of performance for little visual benefit - it's a cool but rather subtle effect. This setting has no effect on performance or visuals during night time.

VOLUMETRIC LIGHT QUALITY - Low, High. Filtering and resolution of the Volumetric light effects in the game. This is a night time setting only. High makes lights look really pretty and is not massively expensive for the GPU to render.

DRAW DISTANCE - Slider that affects the landscape and object draw distance. It also affects the landscape tessellation distance which is a CPU intensive process. Minimum is 650m, max is 1500m during daytime and 1000m during night time. This slider has a large effect on CPU power in the game, but also affects GPU performance. Recommend turning to minimum for low end systems.

LOD DISTANCE - Slider that changes the distance when objects change from lower level of detail models to the high detail models. It also affects how far small objects are rendered. This can have a rather big impact on performance, both CPU and GPU power. Recommend turning to low on slow systems.

FOV (under control options) - Slider that affects the FOV factor compared to the default FOV. The FOV in the game is affected by aspect ratio as well as many in-game events (sprinting, boosting), thus this has to be a multiplier rather than a fixed angle setting. Our default FOV in 16:9 is about 80 degrees. Increasing the FOV requires more processing power both from the CPU and GPU - a larger area with possibly more visible objects is rendered.

That's it! Hope this is helpful.

paischu
02-16-2012, 08:42 AM
Nice explanation for newbies (:

StubbsZombie
02-16-2012, 10:20 AM
nice, thank you :)

1337W422102
02-16-2012, 11:02 AM
Thank you very much, not only for this list, but for bringing Alan Wake to the PC. you rock, Remedy!

Douglas18
02-16-2012, 11:15 AM
Very good explanation of graphics settings, thank you.

shadowsc
02-16-2012, 11:20 AM
Thank you very much!

luffkatt
02-16-2012, 01:19 PM
sold!!! to the developer that incorporated Fov. :D god bless. I'm down loading now you got my US$ and my support.

ICantShoot
02-16-2012, 02:42 PM
VSYNC - having this on also causes input lag. So keep that in mind. It's especially noticeable in PC.

Bobafett2k6
02-16-2012, 02:52 PM
What is this? A developer that actually gives a ♥♥♥♥ about PC gamers?

I wasn't too bothered about buying Alan Wake so soon (As I prefer to see how it's received/bugs/etc) but this feels safe...

I think if nothing major has hit the forums by tomorrow, I'll buy it.

EDIT: Everything after the first line is a bit off topic for this thread, sorry.

Jarden
02-16-2012, 03:51 PM
Hi all!

This post is meant to describe the graphics settings of Alan Wake in some detail, and tell how they affect performance.

That's it! Hope this is helpful.

Hey.
Do you got any ETA on when nvidia drivers will (or will they ever) officially support 3D for Alan Wake?
I know i can play with the settings for myself but i would prefer to have an official profile for AW.
Thanks.

salad123
02-16-2012, 04:45 PM
VSYNC - having this on also causes input lag. So keep that in mind. It's especially noticeable in PC.

How noticeable? It keeps it at 60 fps right? Would it be better forcing through Nvidia Inspector?

Hendrich
02-16-2012, 04:55 PM
Any configs/console options that suppourt more advanced tweaks...?

TheSomian
02-16-2012, 05:30 PM
It seems to me like vSync caps at 30 fps. I get a quite unstable framerate and sometimes it's more than 60 and I these artifacts when looking left/right. They're gone when vSync is enabled, but the framerate feels much lower. Is it capped at 30? :/

Hi2u! Tw1TcH
02-16-2012, 06:43 PM
What is the max FoV?

Thanks.

Also, is there mouse accel? If so, can it be turned off?

Chapa9dj
02-16-2012, 08:29 PM
Haven't had problems so far. Running the game fully maxed.
It looks and play beautiful.

MarkusRMD
02-16-2012, 11:07 PM
The FOV is a multiplier (game changes FOV in certain situations like aiming). Default is around 88 on a 16:9 screen, and the slider range is from 0.8 to 1.2.

Max fov is multiplier at maximum running on Eyefinity 3x1 setup, likely way over 180deg already. :)

Freyar
02-16-2012, 11:15 PM
Perhaps it'd be good to list the FoV while just "standing" with the slider? I'm happy it's there, but it's a bit difficult to know where I'd want it if I don't have a numerical reference to base my changes on.

Hi2u! Tw1TcH
02-17-2012, 12:45 AM
Perhaps it'd be good to list the FoV while just "standing" with the slider? I'm happy it's there, but it's a bit difficult to know where I'd want it if I don't have a numerical reference to base my changes on.

Multiply 88 (for 16:9) by the value in the slider. Like 0.8*88 = 70.4, 1.2*88 = 105.6.

My concern is mainly that it doesn't feel squashed. :>

marcelus
02-17-2012, 02:17 AM
hi all,

is possible enable custom resolution in game? I use 2560x1440 downsampling on my 1080p monitor in many games but in Alan Wake does not work. I found resolution config and rewrite resolution but i still play it a maximum 1920x1080.

(sorry for my english)

Mist69
02-17-2012, 02:20 AM
Great post thanks!

nutcrackr
02-17-2012, 02:40 AM
hi all,

is possible enable custom resolution in game? I use 2560x1440 downsampling on my 1080p monitor in many games but in Alan Wake does not work. I found resolution config and rewrite resolution but i still play it a maximum 1920x1080.

(sorry for my english)
Yes, in the other thread:

"You can enter them by right clicking on Alan Wake in the Steam Library and choosing Properties. From there go to "Set launch options".

-w screen width (e.g. -w1280)
-h screen height (e.g. -h720)"

RedRobin
02-17-2012, 03:03 AM
How do I disable motion blur in launch options? What is the command?

mister_moges
02-17-2012, 05:13 AM
How do I disable motion blur in launch options? What is the command?

-noblur

CLass25
02-17-2012, 05:20 AM
Thank you Remedy! Perfect working on Radeon 6950's Crossfire from Day 1.
Thats how a Port should look like! Thank you for this very nice Game for a very nice Price!

RedRobin
02-17-2012, 07:55 AM
-noblur

Thanks.

Anymore commands? I remember reading them in a post in this section but I can't find it anymore

Skelter92
02-17-2012, 09:14 AM
What is this? A developer that actually gives a ♥♥♥♥ about PC gamers?

I wasn't too bothered about buying Alan Wake so soon (As I prefer to see how it's received/bugs/etc) but this feels safe...

I think if nothing major has hit the forums by tomorrow, I'll buy it.

EDIT: Everything after the first line is a bit off topic for this thread, sorry.

Buy it NOA! And come on CDPRojekt likes PC gaming.

1337W422102
02-17-2012, 09:23 AM
Buy it NOA! And come on CDPRojekt likes PC gaming.
After that abysmal Saints Row 2 port, I'm not so sure...

Freyar
02-17-2012, 09:38 AM
After that abysmal Saints Row 2 port, I'm not so sure...
The Witcher and Witcher 2 are great experiences, and they've learned a good deal since then.

marcelus
02-17-2012, 12:46 PM
Yes, in the other thread:

"You can enter them by right clicking on Alan Wake in the Steam Library and choosing Properties. From there go to "Set launch options".

-w screen width (e.g. -w1280)
-h screen height (e.g. -h720)"

Thank You very much.

SyphonX
02-17-2012, 02:37 PM
Thanks Markus.

skia
02-18-2012, 03:53 PM
Any graphics enhancement tweaks? Is their a way we can get a full list of commands to mess with?

Strummer101
02-20-2012, 10:29 PM
People really can't help you with posts like that. <<

Mayhaps the hamster spinning his cpu is caught in it's running wheel or has pulled something.

I kid. I kid.

steinrj
02-21-2012, 11:56 AM

You can get rid of the input lag by using D3DOverider - it forces triplebuffering in games. Its included if you download rivatuner from guru3d.com. I've been using it for a long time, no input lag and no tearing in games for me.

Read this article about triple buffering from anandtech:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2794

ben583
02-22-2012, 01:35 AM
I have vsync on and I don't get any input lag, it seems. The game generally runs really well on my two-year old system.

JudgementBullet
02-26-2012, 12:47 AM
This game looks intensive with all these advanced settings..

Otton Carlos
03-01-2012, 09:11 AM
I have tried many things, but i still cant run Alan Wake. Can someone help me. I already unistalled and reinstalled the graphics card and the game on steam, also checked the game cache. I used many command lines like -w1920 -h1080 -window and -w1280 -h720 -window but not even with this the game runs anymore. The first time it worked very well, running on resolution 1920 - 1080, but now it dont even runs on windowned mode. Here are my system specs:

ACPI x64-based PC
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
DirectX 11.0

HexaCore AMD Phenom II X6 1055T, 3300 MHz (16.5 x 200)
Pegatron APM80-D3
AMD 740G, AMD K10
3328 MB (DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM)
DIMM1: 2GB.DDR3.1333MHz. 2 GB DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM (9-9-9-24 @ 666 MHz) (8-8-8-22 @ 592 MHz) (6-6-6-16 @ 444 MHz)
DIMM2: 2GB.DDR3.1333MHz. 2 GB DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM (9-9-9-24 @ 666 MHz) (8-8-8-22 @ 592 MHz) (6-6-6-16 @ 444 MHz)

ATI Radeon HD 5670 (1024 MB)
ATI Radeon HDMI @ ATI Redwood/Madison - High Definition Audio Controller

Edit 1: Forgot to post my grapichs card driver is updated to 12.1, and the error I get when runs the game is DEVICE_CREATE_ERROR.

samivRMD
03-05-2012, 01:59 PM
#38 Otton Carlos:
You could try deleting your "My Documents\Remedy\AlanWake" folder where the config settings are stored.

If you were able run the game previously, it would sound like your config settings have been saved and become corrupt or invalid for some reason.

Also, make sure you aren't using any command line parameters to get started. If for some reason the -w and -h you provide with the command line parameters aren't suitable for your graphics card (for example the game can't start in a resolution higher than your desktop resolution), the game will just refuse to start up.

I hope this helps.

SamiV.

Br3ach
04-03-2012, 04:39 AM
Good guide. How GPU-heavy is Anisotropic Filtering though?

Doctor_Hades
04-03-2012, 08:35 AM
Good guide. How GPU-heavy is Anisotropic Filtering though?

On modern graphics cards, not very. You can enable the maximum 16x anisotropic filtering without any noticeable hit in performance.

HitDeity
05-22-2012, 10:10 PM
There is also something worth noting too:

Setting up a profile in NVidia's Control Panel seems to make a noticeable difference. I have no idea why, but creating a separate profile in the CP for each graphics-intensive game in your library is worth checking out.

It makes AW AN look even better; for me anyway. I set all the graphics options immediately upon starting any new game, from the game's own menu options. Then, after I get the game started at least once, I exit it and then use the NVidia Control Panel to create a separate entry for the game.

With Alan Wake's AN, I did that and set everything in the CP to max and it made it look even better. Noticeably better, sharper, crisper graphics details with no screen tearing whatsoever and smooth sharp framerates. It doesn't make sense, but it works for my GTX 470. I also updated my drivers to the latest ones available: 301.42 WHQL, dated 5/22/12.

Awesome game, and it looks fantastic, Remedy. You are still my "heroes" and a continuing example of what devs should do in the future to create loyal customers. Thank you!

benetti32
05-23-2012, 05:03 AM
There is also something worth noting too:

Setting up a profile in NVidia's Control Panel seems to make a noticeable difference. I have no idea why, but creating a separate profile in the CP for each graphics-intensive game in your library is worth checking out.

It makes AW AN look even better; for me anyway. I set all the graphics options immediately upon starting any new game, from the game's own menu options. Then, after I get the game started at least once, I exit it and then use the NVidia Control Panel to create a separate entry for the game.

With Alan Wake's AN, I did that and set everything in the CP to max and it made it look even better. Noticeably better, sharper, crisper graphics details with no screen tearing whatsoever and smooth sharp framerates. It doesn't make sense, but it works for my GTX 470. I also updated my drivers to the latest ones available: 301.42 WHQL, dated 5/22/12.

Awesome game, and it looks fantastic, Remedy. You are still my "heroes" and a continuing example of what devs should do in the future to create loyal customers. Thank you!

Do you have screenshot before and after? Yea, it doesn't make sense, if you set everything high in AW then the CP should improve it only very little (only additional antialising). Or your default settings in CP are set to low...

HitDeity
05-23-2012, 05:28 AM
Do you have screenshot before and after? Yea, it doesn't make sense, if you set everything high in AW then the CP should improve it only very little (only additional antialising). Or your default settings in CP are set to low...
You're probably right: I never noticed the Global Settings before. Maybe the Global Settings were overriding the game's tweaked settings, and creating a separate dedicated game profile made the difference. The one main thing that I noticed is that VSync was not affected by the game's settings. I got noticeable screen tearing no matter what game setting VSync was set to. Only after I created a specific game profile in the CP did the screen tearing stop. That was also when I noticed how sharp the graphics had become and how smoothly the game rendered.

FriedGerry
05-23-2012, 12:43 PM
I have the lowest settings on, and so far I'm getting better framerates in American Nightmare

DodgeRainPop
05-30-2012, 12:38 AM
sold!!! to the developer that incorporated Fov. :D god bless. I'm down loading now you got my US$ and my support.

why are you banned?

kershek
07-14-2012, 06:17 AM
I would like to thank the devs for incorporating FOV in the game. I looked on the widescreen forums and it looks like a great implementation of 3 screen nVidia Surround as well. On top of that, they have a sense of humor with the pirate eyepatch. Buying the game now :)

TcoNL
07-14-2012, 08:38 AM
The game feel very very sluggish. (even more when I run into the light?)

Being on high/low doesn't change much. Drivers are updated.

Switching to a much lower resolution does help (some/a lot) but I don't have a 1920x1200 monitor for no reason.

Anyone know anything that can help?

Jakeman249
07-14-2012, 03:52 PM
The game feel very very sluggish. (even more when I run into the light?)

Being on high/low doesn't change much. Drivers are updated.

Switching to a much lower resolution does help (some/a lot) but I don't have a 1920x1200 monitor for no reason.

Anyone know anything that can help?

Posting your specs would help.

Game runs around 45 and up on a GTX 460 1GB @ 810MHZ on mostly high, awesome job devs, I expected not as much!

TcoNL
07-14-2012, 03:57 PM
W7 64 bit, don't worry about the rest. :)

Been fiddling a bit with the options. Seems its mainly or only the FXAA option. Time for nap nap now.

Jakeman249
07-14-2012, 04:18 PM
W7 64 bit, don't worry about the rest. :)

Been fiddling a bit with the options. Seems its mainly or only the FXAA option. Time for nap nap now.

Hmm. I am at 1080p so I never notice less than 2xaa in games. I just turned FXAA off to get that extra few fps. All but shadows and Lighting(medium) is on high, seems to run get on a 460.

TcoNL
07-15-2012, 01:01 AM
Well I should be able to run everything at ultrahigh and still get 30-80 fps (just giving a wide range).

Forceflow
07-15-2012, 05:39 PM
I'm running:

Intel i5 2500
2 x Radeon 6850
8 Gb of RAM
Windows 7 64-bit

And the game runs on high settings at 45-60 fps at a resolution of 1650x (I keep vsync on becaue I get terrible micro-stuttering otherwise).

Although the performance is not bad, I should definitely get more out of my system ... other demanding games run fine (Battlefield 3 on high/ultra ...)

Any ideas?