PDA

View Full Version : this is a visual novel, not a game

feda
02-16-2012, 07:30 AM
The genre information on the steam page is misleading and I regret not having done the research before buying it.

This is not an adventure game. This isn't a game at all. It is a semi-randomized visual novel. There are no puzzles. There is nothing to do in this game per se. You just walk around and trigger bits of narrative. That's all.

7 euros down the toilet, basically.

Ironically, I love adventure games with this sort of atmosphere and narrative. It's just that I want some GAMEPLAY in a game, something challenging. When I want to read a novel, I get a book. I don't have the patience to keep pressing W while walking at a snail's pace to get short paragraphs every now and again.

KainKlarden
02-16-2012, 09:59 AM
Ooh, yeah, GENRES. IMPORTANT. Not doing research - not important. Genres - important. yes.
P.S. You might be surprised, but visual novel is a game genre. So your title says "it's a type of game, not a game". Which is funny, i think.

Hangar34
02-16-2012, 11:13 AM
One of the definitions of 'game' found in the dictionary is:

"An activity providing entertainment or amusement."

And as Dear Esther fulfills the above statement, and uses a widely recognised 'game engine' to power it, I'd say it is a game on two counts.

Boff
02-16-2012, 12:10 PM
the game is putting the story together ;)

Because it's a jigsaw puzzle....with pieces that are designed not to fit.

jorre22225
02-16-2012, 12:21 PM
7 euros down the toilet...

I feel ashamed by people like you who always call a game stupid or unworthy, JUST because they didn't do enough research or were tricked by their own foolish mistake. Obviously, people like you also place it on a forum afterwards, so non-intelligent people/trolls might think the same way, while it's completely wrong. Especially when we are talking about Dear Esther, a game which is both entertaining and art. If Robert Briscoe were to see this, I would really think that the irrelevance can sometimes come to such a point that it's ridicilous.

Sorry to point out my opinion that much, but that's simply said kinda harsh words for the amount of time and work he spend in it, knowing the limitation of the Source Engine... Maybe it's just me :confused:

Hangar34
02-16-2012, 12:26 PM
"I don't have the patience..."

And therein lies the problem... yours, not ours.