PDA

View Full Version : They topped MW2 in every way

Redtide
02-16-2012, 07:53 PM
I seriously didn't think they could simplify the game more or design worse maps. Above and beyond gents, above and beyond.

In all seriousness though, it makes me sad rather than angry. CoD4 is still one of my favorite games and to see the series reduced to farther than I thought they could possibly go is just sickening.

Oh well, back to BF3, RO2, ArmA 2, and any other quality shooters out there.

pwn247
02-16-2012, 08:04 PM
I own every Call of Duty game in existence. From the original title in box set- through Black Ops.

Modern Warfare 3 is the first Call of Duty game that I have not purchased and, after playing ~15 minutes of it today, do not plan to purchase in the future.

I liked Modern Warfare. I liked Modern Warfare 2. Black Ops is where the franchise started going downhill and what we have before us today is a horse that's been beaten to death, resurrected, and beat to death again. I can't for the life of me see a difference between Black Ops and Modern Warfare 3, sans a handful of new maps, weapons, and gamemodes.

Modern Warfare 3 is a glorified map/weapon/gamemode pack for Black Ops and nothing more. A $60 DLC that is an atrocity to the series and causing this long-time fan to lay down his guns for the first time in nearly a decade.

Infinity7
02-16-2012, 08:37 PM
I seriously didn't think they could simplify the game more or design worse maps. Above and beyond gents, above and beyond.

In all seriousness though, it makes me sad rather than angry. CoD4 is still one of my favorite games and to see the series reduced to farther than I thought they could possibly go is just sickening.

The maps are a bit more complex than usual. The learning curve for them is about 4 days or so but after that they're easy. I was the same way at first. Not understanding the maps. You'll see after a couple of days or so.

DInosaurBatman
02-16-2012, 08:38 PM
The maps are a bit more complex than usual. The learning curve for them is about 4 days or so but after that they're easy. I was the same way at first. Not understanding the maps. You'll see after a couple of days or so.

Yeah, the two lanes are hard to get. You ever play Quake?

Redtide
02-16-2012, 08:39 PM

I learned them in two rounds. There's no complexity to the two lane format they adhere to. There's very little side areas you can cut through and most force you to commit straight ahead or sidetrack and then straight ahead. Sure there's a few nooks and crannies but the main path is just super short maze sections to the other end of the map with an open middle on almost every map.

DInosaurBatman
02-16-2012, 08:43 PM
I learned them in two rounds. There's no complexity to the two lane format they adhere to. There's very little side areas you can cut through and most force you to commit straight ahead or sidetrack and then straight ahead. Sure there's a few nooks and crannies but the main path is just super short maze sections to the other end of the map with an open middle on almost every map.

No, but seriously. I think he started gaming with MW2 if he thinks these maps are "complex" in any way.

TentacleMayor
02-16-2012, 09:25 PM
Wait, wait. MW3 has like 3x the weapons and attachments of COD4. Which is the simpler game? Chess has like 1/1000 the underlying mechanics and tactics, and none of the customisation; does this make it simplistic?

XHummel
02-16-2012, 09:53 PM
Well i think its obvious that COD has become more of an yearly updtate than a full game, alltough its still called "new game in the series" so people should not expect anything more than that in the future. Don't hope nothing major changes and you won't be disappointed. Not hating on anybody just mentioning.

DInosaurBatman
02-16-2012, 09:59 PM
Well i think its obvious that COD has become more of an yearly updtate than a full game, alltough its still called "new game in the series" so people should not expect anything more than that in the future. Don't hope nothing major changes and you won't be disappointed. Not hating on anybody just mentioning.

Well, MW1 to MW2 was quite the leap. It went from top of the line awesome to bottom of the barrel garbage.

Redtide
02-16-2012, 10:07 PM
Wait, wait. MW3 has like 3x the weapons and attachments of COD4. Which is the simpler game? Chess has like 1/1000 the underlying mechanics and tactics, and none of the customisation; does this make it simplistic?

*facepalm. You have no idea what complexity means do you? Hint, it has nothing to do with quantity. Furthermore, CoD4 weapons actually had different damage models and actual recoil so they stood out compared to the "3x" spray weapons of MW3.

I'm talking about having to use a weapon to it's strength (note different than a weapon class strength). I'm talking about maps that make you take different routes and promote smart play. I'm talking about maps you can't get from one end to the other in seconds.

Almost every other shooter has these yet the most popular one decides that fame and fortune is all that matters.

If you want to talk chess, CoD4 is to chess as to chess (positional play, smart play is better than fast, depth of choice) as MW3 is to tic-tac-toe (extremely limited maps, whoever sees the other person first wins, all weapons for a weapon class behave roughly the same, etc).

TentacleMayor
02-16-2012, 10:39 PM
*facepalm. You have no idea what complexity means do you? Hint, it has nothing to do with quantity. Furthermore, CoD4 weapons actually had different damage models and actual recoil so they stood out compared to the "3x" spray weapons of MW3.

I'm talking about having to use a weapon to it's strength (note different than a weapon class strength). I'm talking about maps that make you take different routes and promote smart play. I'm talking about maps you can't get from one end to the other in seconds.

Almost every other shooter has these yet the most popular one decides that fame and fortune is all that matters.

If you want to talk chess, CoD4 is to chess as to chess (positional play, smart play is better than fast, depth of choice) as MW3 is to tic-tac-toe (extremely limited maps, whoever sees the other person first wins, all weapons for a weapon class behave roughly the same, etc).

Sounds like you know your stuff, but I'll just say that you can't master a game unless you take every component into account, and the new iterations do offer more variety. I can't really argue about MW3 as I don't know enough yet, but I know for a fact that MW2 has meaningful differences within the weapon classes. Can't say F2000 = M4 = SCAR, or P90 = UMP = MP5k. If you're the type of player that discounts the vast variety of weapons and tactics as 'suboptimal' for certain playstyles, that's a different story.

Then there have been additions like Throwing Knives, Motion Sensors, selectable killstreaks and others that have much potential to change the flow of the game. I'll agree that MW2 at least favors flinch over tactics in many situations due to the cramped maps.

Macchus
02-16-2012, 10:48 PM
I own every Call of Duty game in existence. From the original title in box set- through Black Ops.

Modern Warfare 3 is the first Call of Duty game that I have not purchased and, after playing ~15 minutes of it today, do not plan to purchase in the future.

I liked Modern Warfare. I liked Modern Warfare 2. Black Ops is where the franchise started going downhill and what we have before us today is a horse that's been beaten to death, resurrected, and beat to death again. I can't for the life of me see a difference between Black Ops and Modern Warfare 3, sans a handful of new maps, weapons, and gamemodes.

Modern Warfare 3 is a glorified map/weapon/gamemode pack for Black Ops and nothing more. A $60 DLC that is an atrocity to the series and causing this long-time fan to lay down his guns for the first time in nearly a decade.

there is almost no similarity to black ops other than the fact you can change your reticle a lil bit ... oh and some of the equipment ...and that they both play like CoD... mw3 is a more a mix of cod 4 and mw2 imo... with the smallest dash of black ops thrown in ...

Misguided
02-16-2012, 10:50 PM

BLOPS and MW3 are polar opposites in the COD universe. I doubt you played either.

Infinity7
02-16-2012, 11:13 PM
Yeah, the two lanes are hard to get. You ever play Quake?

Each map is like 3 or 4 lanes. Darn. Which map did you think only had 2 lanes? The complexity is the nooks and crannies. I really didn't get into the 1st person shooters till the original Half Life (DNF was sorta like it) first came out then into the original Unreal Tournament (memories of Facing Worlds which was a 2 lane and Hall of Giants) and then many more after that.

Sph34r
02-16-2012, 11:17 PM

Those aren't quality shooters

gooberx
02-16-2012, 11:34 PM

Well the biggest difference between MW3 and Bops was ranked dedicated servers. That made ALL the difference in the world as far as I am concerned between the 2 games. I had basically no hackers to deal with and played every single time with a sub 50 ping on well admin servers.

If any thing MW3 is like a DLC for MW2 not Bops. What exactly did you like about MW2?

ReaperOne1Two2
02-17-2012, 12:55 AM
See's map complaints maps are simple, remembers when all complainers in forums were complaining about how ridiculous the maps are for having many ways to go and get flanked.

But then again they almost complained about maps being small etc... yet Dome literally wins every map vote(Seen it lose 3-4 times since prestige 1). Forum complaints on maps never seem to line up with what people vote for.

...whoever sees the other person first wins

This is true in basically every game excluding maybe Global Agenda in which case it's true most of the time. Theirs really no way to change this unless fights last for 10 minutes because if it's quickly your at to far of a disadvantage as is basically.

killkhan
02-17-2012, 12:58 AM
This game is one of the biggest rip offs around and I can't believe the amount of people that actually forked out for this again. Baffling, just baffling.

If these game sales are anything to go by then I fear for humanity.