PDA

View Full Version : What does the play do in this game?

Badmedo
02-17-2012, 08:56 AM
Title should read "What does the player do in this game?"

What kind of meaningful choices does the player make in this game?
How do the game mechanics support the setting?

I get the impression this just another "on rails" story game, that got some great reviews.

Flakz
02-17-2012, 08:59 AM
This is not a "choose your own adventure" or open-world game. It is a survival-horror game with great setting and ambiance. They paid a lot of attention to detail, and the writing is top-notch spectacular.

Badmedo
02-17-2012, 09:06 AM
This is not a "choose your own adventure" or open-world game. It is a survival-horror game with great setting and ambiance. They paid a lot of attention to detail, and the writing is top-notch spectacular.

So it's a deep player-driven movie then?

fawker
02-17-2012, 09:08 AM

Yes, with the other half of the game consisting of nighttime puzzle jumping and shooting similar looking ghosts. The flashlight / gun combination is pretty fun, but the jury is still out if it's going to carry it for the whole game.

Badmedo
02-17-2012, 09:12 AM
The flashlight / gun combination is pretty fun, but the jury is still out if it's going to carry it for the whole game.

So it's Doom 3?

:p

Flakz
02-17-2012, 09:17 AM

Pretty much. The only thing you do besides kill things with your flashlight/gun combo is pick up collectibles and do puzzles to progress the plot. The story is quite engaging though, and there are moments filled to the brim with tension.

Not at all like Doom 3, lol. Your enemies, Taken, are regular enough looking people (sometimes poltergeist objects too) but they're filled with some kind of evil that comes from darkness. Your flashlight, and light from the environment, is used to weaken them enough for guns to be able to kill them.

Freyar
02-17-2012, 09:24 AM
So it's Doom 3?

:p

Naw, that's only when your flashlight runs out of batteries.

Flakz
02-17-2012, 09:27 AM
Forgot to mention--there are vehicles in the game to drive as well, but quite forgettable experiences.

Badmedo
02-17-2012, 09:32 AM
Pretty much. The only thing you do besides kill things with your flashlight/gun combo is pick up collectibles and do puzzles to progress the plot. The story is quite engaging though, and there are moments filled to the brim with tension.

Any resource management involved, similar to the Resident Evil games? Wound management?

fawker
02-17-2012, 09:34 AM
Any resource management involved, similar to the Resident Evil games? Wound management?

You stand under a bright light. You get healed.

Badmedo
02-17-2012, 09:35 AM
Forgot to mention--there are vehicles in the game to drive as well, but quite forgettable experiences.

Most vehicle moments are forgettable in games.

Unless failure means you walk the rest of the way, instead of restarting from a check point.

Freyar
02-17-2012, 09:37 AM

Not really. You can paint yourself into a corner if you waste too many shots, other than that there's not the typical survival-horror issue of scarcity.

Badmedo
02-17-2012, 09:49 AM
Not really. You can paint yourself into a corner if you waste too many shots, other than that there's not the typical survival-horror issue of scarcity.

:(

I've heard so many good things about this game, but none of the game-play sounds has intriguing.

lol,

This guys sums up the experience (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y01TPU1Ptmw)

malmute
02-17-2012, 11:17 AM
I already have SilentHill3, boring.

Badmedo
02-17-2012, 01:11 PM
I already have SilentHill3, boring.

Well, Silent Hill confused the hell out of me.

Lets throw a bunch of scary looking ♥♥♥♥ at the player and try to explain it later, maybe in the 4th game.