PDA

View Full Version : The future of Valve and Steam may possibly be in Hardware, Wearable Computers?

Archer Kane
02-20-2012, 06:11 AM
Picture I Googled purely for illustrative purposes. :P (http://www.wearable-consult.com/images/buergy_hwd.jpg)

Is there anything you’re seeing in terms of the inputs or outputs you’re experimenting with that you’re personally jazzed about, or you think that is really bearing fruit, or will in the near future?

Gabe Newell: Yeah, I mean there’s a surprising amount going on with new – they used to be called wearable computing before those all got kind of set on fire by losing investment firms hundreds of millions of dollars, so nobody wants to call them wearable computing, but they sort of look like the old wearable computing solutions, the difference being that they’re way higher resolution, way lighter weight, much better battery life, and things like that. It seems like just about the time that everybody gave up on them they actually started to become interesting, so we’ve been seeing a lot of stuff go on in that space that gets us excited. We’re trying to get our–the experiments we’ve been doing in–you know we did a ton of work on biofeedback, on biometrics, and that’ll, you know, from our point of view we were like “okay, this is all sort of proven out” and we’re just sort of scratching our heads trying to figure out the best way to get that hardware out to customers without something where we’d just say “okay, this works.” it’s not a question of whether or not this is going to be useful for customers, whether or not it’s going to be useful for content developers, you know, it’s figuring out the best way we can get these into people’s hands.

Full interview can be found here (http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/valves-gabe-newell-talks-wearable-computers-rewarding-players-and-whether-w). Quite an insightful read. :)

edit: On second thoughts, maybe I should have put this in Steam Community section

MADDOGGE
02-20-2012, 06:49 AM
...there’s millions of people out there who are gnashing their teeth when they read this who just want to play Episode 3 or Left 4 Dead 3. Is there ever tension between all the different things that Valve is interested in doing?

<SNIP>

But we’ve always somehow, you know, part of the reason that we backed off talking so much about what was happening in the future is that when we’ve done that in the past, you know, with Half Life 1 it was a year after we originally said it would be, Half Life 2 basically if you go and read the forum posts apparently took us fifty or sixty years to get done so we’re trying to be careful not to get people too excited and then have to go and disappoint them. So we’re sort of reacting in the other direction and saying “okay, well let’s have things a little more baked before we start getting people all excited about it.”

So I can still choose to say after 4 years and 4 months wait for an episode not even a full game, with no proof whatsoever to the contrary that this is proof they have done little or no work on Ep3/HL3 as they need to "have things a little more baked before we start getting people all excited about it". It's early morning and I choose to be grumpy!:mad::D

Interesting article with lots to think about. Not sure if I like the face fuzz or not on Gabe but it probably gives him more time to play WoW each day not having to shave every day.;)

ericL
02-20-2012, 07:10 AM
nope, instead fix all the problems in the steam client. I've made a list and there are over 100 i can mention -.-

Cosinus P. W.
02-20-2012, 07:21 AM
Got a copy of that list?

Parlock
02-20-2012, 07:22 AM
If the future of Valve involves glorious beards, long live Valve!

chrischameleon
02-20-2012, 07:45 AM
If the future of Valve involves glorious beards, long live Valve!

To be counted as worthy we must all grow beards like his. :D

MADDOGGE
02-20-2012, 07:58 AM
To be counted as worthy we must all grow beards like his. :DCool, already got mine, so I'm good to go:D:cool:. Now where is my Valve awesomeness?

Pl2sku
02-20-2012, 08:12 AM
I yelled "Kill it before it lays eggs!" before noticing it was GabeN.

Seriously, what the hell Gabe? You were a beauty king before, now you look like a hobo. Uncool, man :o

real4xor
02-20-2012, 08:29 AM
What`s so new about wearable computers (http://users.telenet.be/Links1/images/Eerste-draagbare-computer.jpg)?

TheInsaneDump
02-20-2012, 08:38 AM
The picture tour was awesome! Thanks for posting this!

MADDOGGE
02-20-2012, 09:00 AM
What`s so new about wearable computers (http://users.telenet.be/Links1/images/Eerste-draagbare-computer.jpg)?LOL, reminds me of that Charter commercial with the kid who says he is the internet and dresses like a Roman soldier.

chrischameleon
02-20-2012, 09:02 AM
I yelled "Kill it before it lays eggs!" before noticing it was GabeN.

Seriously, what the hell Gabe? You were a beauty king before, now you look like a hobo. Uncool, man :o

Hobos are back in style baby, haven't you heard. :D

(not being sarcastic)

TeKraken
02-20-2012, 09:09 AM
I hope these wearable computers have a macro for a weather website.

stillwater78
02-20-2012, 09:21 AM
Valve is always prattling on about how they're going to take gaming into the space age. Electrodes that measure your heartbeat and sweat so that games can react to your emotions, wearable computers, bla bla bla.

It all sounds great. But meanwhile, all I see Valve actually produce is sequels, remakes, and hats.

Patflute
02-20-2012, 09:28 AM
What`s so new about wearable computers (http://users.telenet.be/Links1/images/Eerste-draagbare-computer.jpg)?

A high-end smart phone is more powerful than that. :p

MechaMage
02-20-2012, 09:39 AM
Just make the Pip-Boy already, Valve.

Verminus
02-20-2012, 09:50 AM
Just make the Pip-Boy already, Valve.

They can't, the don't have the rights to it.

Dazzled
02-20-2012, 10:10 AM
THQ tried going into hardware and they nearly destroyed themselves. Even their hugely successful games might not be enough to save them.

Valve might be able to survive such an experiment as long as they don't go all in.

Archer Kane
02-20-2012, 10:14 AM
THQ tried going into hardware and they nearly destroyed themselves. Even their hugely successful games might not be enough to save them.

Valve might be able to survive such an experiment as long as they don't go all in.

From the sounds of it, they do just seem to be dabbling and experimenting on ventures. As Gabe said, you don't get anywhere by just doing the same thing that everyone does - you have to innovate in order to progress.

chrischameleon
02-20-2012, 12:52 PM
Valve is always prattling on about how they're going to take gaming into the space age. Electrodes that measure your heartbeat and sweat so that games can react to your emotions, wearable computers, bla bla bla.

It all sounds great. But meanwhile, all I see Valve actually produce is sequels, remakes, and hats.

Haters gonna... not eat valve baked game cookies.

(Did I get that right? :confused:)

No1_Obaruler
02-20-2012, 12:58 PM
Wearable Computers .... <sick thoughts (http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Cortical_node)>

So ... Valve first wants to transform us into those "Combine Tech-Zombies" we've seen crawling around in the Citadel before we can get our Hands on Half Life 3? Oh dear ....

Juicy Donut
02-20-2012, 01:00 PM
Oh my god, one day we can see if people really have powerlevels over 9000!

TeKraken
02-20-2012, 01:01 PM
http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/valves-gabe-newell-talks-wearable-computers-rewarding-players-and-whether-w

Now do you see a future where Valve is actually selling hardware or do you just want to have things that could take advantage of that technology should it be popular?

Well, if we have to sell hardware we will. We have no reason to believe weíre any good at it, itís more we think that we need to continue to have innovation and if the only way to get these kind of projects started is by us going and developing and selling the hardware directly then thatís what weíll do. Itís definitely not the first thought that crosses our mind; weíd rather hardware people that are good at manufacturing and distributing hardware do that. We think itís important enough that if thatís what we end up having to do then thatís what we end up having to do.

I don't think he sounds to hot on the hardware idea, unless he has to.

Cammalleri
02-20-2012, 01:33 PM
http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/valves-gabe-newell-talks-wearable-computers-rewarding-players-and-whether-w

I don't think he sounds to hot on the hardware idea, unless he has to.

no he doesn't but then he say

I would push them very hard to stop thinking of themselves as being a platform for everything that already exists and start betting on the inventiveness and the benefits that you would get by embracing a more open approach to the internet and game delivery and game business models and things like that.

and makes me wish Steam/Valve would release a console and with Big Picture project , it all makes me drool :O