PDA

View Full Version : Microphone For Gaming/Chatting

RetroOctane
02-21-2012, 06:55 AM
So I almost have all the hardware I need to set up my new computer and I need a microphone. I have a pair of headphones so buying a headset just seems like a waste.

What I need is a microphone that is sensitive enough that I won't have to put my mouth against it to hear me but not sensitive enough that it can hear me from the other side of the room. On/off switch would be nice but not necessary. Something like the CAD U1 or maybe I could get lucky on ebay and get a good deal on a Blue snowball. Your recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

rotNdude
02-21-2012, 08:58 AM
From what I gather you want a desktop-mounted mic rather than a lapel clip-on mic? You also want it to be USB connected? What's your budget?

RetroOctane
02-21-2012, 09:37 AM
From what I gather you want a desktop-mounted mic rather than a lapel clip-on mic? You also want it to be USB connected? What's your budget?
Yes I'm looking for a desktop mounted mic. My budget is about $40

CrypticBox
02-21-2012, 03:53 PM
Yes I'm looking for a desktop mounted mic. My budget is about $40

Just Curious, are you interested in one with Headphones?

lapemis
02-21-2012, 04:39 PM
Well I personally never used desktop mics before but mics with Headsets are pretty good, like the Steelseries Siberia V2, looks good, sounds good and the mic is good as well.

RetroOctane
02-22-2012, 10:21 AM
No, I do not want a headset. I have a pair of headphones so buying a headset just seems like a waste.

BirdyToe
02-22-2012, 10:25 AM
If you have a rockband mic use that,it's USB and works just fine on the pc.I use one and it can pick up me muttering from about 2ft away.
As for the stand just bend a wire coat hanger into one.

CrypticBox
02-22-2012, 11:38 AM
No, I do not want a headset. I have a pair of headphones so buying a headset just seems like a waste.

So, I just searched microphone in the Walmart catalog (http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=Microphone&ic=16_0&Find=Find&search_constraint=0&se=polaris&) [Arranged Best Match]yesterday and saw lot of cheap ones, from Logitech.

Click here (http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=Microphone&search_constraint=0&ic=16_0&search_sort=4&se=polaris) to see them. [Arranged Price Low to High]

Pheace
02-23-2012, 03:41 AM
I highly recommend the Logitech USB Desktop Microphone. Works great and amazing value for it's money:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836111601

A Blue Snowball is of course a nice one as well but I think that generally speaking it's out of the price range you're considering.

I ordered a Blue Yeti myself but that's far out of the range you're considering, and I'll still be using my Logitech on my secondary computer, just want to ditch the Jack mic/headset I'm using on that one right now. (even though it's a Sennheiser)

RetroOctane
02-24-2012, 05:44 AM
I had considered the Logitech mic but I heard It's pretty sensitive. Apparently it can hear your tv from 30ft away. Anyway I managed to find a good deal on a Snowball on ebay. Thanks for your help everyone.