PDA

View Full Version : So...Im stuck...

Gramalian
02-22-2012, 05:56 PM
I started my game as a Scottish count. I have the county of buchanon or something like that near the north east of the island. So...No I have tried my best to figure out how to take over areas. War, trickery, diplomacy, even good old assassins. Nothing works.

I managed to instigated a rebellion in my lieges lands, got the king of Scotland to come fight in it ( I think he and my liege were family or something) and he died to the rebels. ( After I was getting on his good side too!) Than my liege died of his wounds I think only to leave Scotland in the hands of a 4 year old and my duke was 0....

How on earth do I take advantage of that? How do I make it so I have a claim to his dutchy? Do I have to go to war ( he has 2 areas with bigger armies) or can I sneak my way in there? I really am at a lose as to what to do.

3pieceSuit
02-22-2012, 06:02 PM
Playing a single county count is one of the hardest things you can do in CK II (in most circumstances). It might be better to start to learn the game as an Irish Duke, or at the very least a count surrounded by equally weak counts.

In your position, your best bet is to press a claim in war with mercenaries, or marry your way to inheriting more counties. You may also be able to plot, but I dont have much experience with the count level plots yet in CK II. Keep good relations with your liege, and help him war against the Isle Dukes, and you may be rewarded with additional lands and titles. Often time playing as a single county count means long periods iwth not much to do as you wait for your heir to come of age, or opportunities to present themselves. So focus on improving you demesne and working on your relationships with vassals/court and liege.

Temparr
02-22-2012, 06:08 PM
I like playing as a Count.

3Piece hit all the finer points I follow for growth, and I have one more thing to add: I use the first generation of being a Count to get my house in order. Get your kids lined up, get a good wife who belongs to a better lot in life, and then leverage the hell out of it in 2nd Generation.

When things go well, you may be able to do Gen1: Count, Gen2: Duke, Gen3: King.

When things go wrong, well, that's half the fun!

Gramalian
02-22-2012, 09:25 PM
So I started over as the same guy and it went a lot different this time. I was able to put what I knew into play sooner and built an alliance with artholl or something like that right next to my starting county.

After waiting a while my character died( I swear I was murdered) and my son and his new wife took over. However...my sons wife was the heir to Artholl, so like I planed our 2 courts were merged...yet for some reason she owns that county and I dont...yet shes my wife... Our daughter is our heir, so I think I will get control of both once she takes over or any son we have correct?

If not is there any way to force the control of that area? Morey or mory? is groung huge. They tried to get me to join a plot to take over scotland but I refused as my king liked me and I was currently joining his family through his half brother. I need this 2nd Provence to stand a chance against this new threat.

3pieceSuit
02-22-2012, 10:05 PM
Yes, you will need to wait until your daughter inherits both counties to take control of it all. just because you marry a women with a landed title, does not mean you will take over her lands when you marry. Gotta wait until the next generation to merge things.

Be patient. This game is all about the dynasty, not rushing for land. Expanding at a slower manageable pace usually means you have a more stable realm. Don't be in a hurry to get control of the lands immediately, when your son is destined to inherit all. Just ensure he has a solid education, good skills and traits so that he can inherit a stable realm, and be ready to take the dynasty forward.

Zorlond
02-23-2012, 03:17 AM
I've played a Scottish Count before (currently trying an Irish Count, in a different game), but I chose Strathern as my starting point. It's central Scotland, but up against Isles territory so I could extend directly that-a-way. But the path I took is probably still valid for a Count of Buchan. Some pointers:

- Try to forge a claim on Isles (or Norwegian to the north) territory. If you succeed, Scotland can and probably will decide to go to war to enforce your claim. And if Scotland is victorious (this can be very uncertain vs Norway), the county you laid claim to becomes yours directly. This is one of the perks of having a Leige.
- Mercenaries. The smallest mercenary armies cost 75 gold to hire, 6 gold a month in wages, and are 1500 men strong. No early Duke has an army anywhere near that big available to them, so you can steamroll into other lands militarily... if you can afford it.
- Marriages. Your kid will indeed eventually inherit both counties. But that tends to be long-term. Which is quite valid for a game of this scale, you'll just have to be patient.
- Be Warned: You Are De Jure Territory for the Duke of Moray to your immediate west. If he's getting bigger, he will come for Buchan. Your character and dynasty can survive being taken over, and then your immediate liege would be the Duke of Moray. But being curb-stomped is not very fun... (this is why I prefer Strathern, it's only De Jure to the Duke of Albany, which doesn't exist initially and is generally created later by the King of Scotland, who has no problem leaving Strathern alone)