PDA

View Full Version : Great game, but is there a way to get behind the camera mode instead of the sides?

Buxaroo
02-22-2012, 10:18 PM
I am really impressed by the port of this game to the PC, this is how its done. FOV sliders, complete control over the keybindings (well I would like to use the ENTER key and BACKSPACE but I can work around that), very good graphics settings option (can't believe it plays at 30-50 fps maxed out on my C2D 2.66 ghz and 5850). But the only option that gives me a headache is the side camera angles. I literally get a headache from it (usually get those from a crappy low FOV) and its hard to do things accurately when I need to. I feel as if the middle of my screen is actually off center and it's quite annoying. So to make a long blathering post short:

Is there a way to make it where camera defaults to the middle/behind the character, sort of like what Max Paine did? Or possible ability to switch it on in a future patch? Any work arounds in a config file I can try?

Scritty
02-23-2012, 05:03 AM
I agree. It's like steering a motorbike when the handlebars are offest from the wheel. With the mouse "straight" Alan is always lurching to the left, I have to conciously keep "pulling" him right by dragging my mouse from left to right, then a few seconds later he's lurching top the left again. Don't have this with any other game, just AW.

mithras
02-23-2012, 05:20 AM
Alan Wake definitely steers like a car with an alignment problem - he pulls hard to one direction. I also think that a behind the back camera angle would help this immensely.

Danny_g13
02-23-2012, 05:23 AM
It's odd, I hated the strange camera angle to start with, but now I love it. Because Alan takes up a fair chunk of the screen, putting him to the right means you can see set important pieces in the centre more fully. And can stare at the lush scenery without him getting in the way.

The running angle does take some getting used to, but I did so.

kbe2k9
02-23-2012, 05:40 AM
I agree. It's like steering a motorbike when the handlebars are offest from the wheel. With the mouse "straight" Alan is always lurching to the left, I have to conciously keep "pulling" him right by dragging my mouse from left to right, then a few seconds later he's lurching top the left again. Don't have this with any other game, just AW.

try pressing tab?

SzF
02-23-2012, 06:01 AM
I'm left handed and I would prefer to see Alan only on the left, but the camera keeps switching shoulders. Not a gamebreaker, I can live with it, but during the heat of battle it can be annoying.

But as Alan is already holding the lamp in his left hand, i would prefer to have the GUN HOLDING hand closer to the screen center.

SzF
02-23-2012, 06:07 AM
Is there a way to make it where camera defaults to the middle/behind the character, sort of like what Max Paine did?

You don't remember Max Payne correctly. The screen center was his right hand, Max was a little bit on the Left side.

TheSomian
02-23-2012, 06:14 AM
I am really impressed by the port of this game to the PC, this is how its done. FOV sliders, complete control over the keybindings (well I would like to use the ENTER key and BACKSPACE but I can work around that), very good graphics settings option (can't believe it plays at 30-50 fps maxed out on my C2D 2.66 ghz and 5850). But the only option that gives me a headache is the side camera angles. I literally get a headache from it (usually get those from a crappy low FOV) and its hard to do things accurately when I need to. I feel as if the middle of my screen is actually off center and it's quite annoying. So to make a long blathering post short:

Is there a way to make it where camera defaults to the middle/behind the character, sort of like what Max Paine did? Or possible ability to switch it on in a future patch? Any work arounds in a config file I can try?

make some gamepad auto fire thingy that keeps pressing down the right stick 60 times a second. this should keep the camera in the middle o_

MarkusRMD
02-23-2012, 08:52 AM
Try the new -rigidcamera command line option, maybe you like that better.

mister_moges
02-23-2012, 09:00 AM
the camera follows the flashlight beam, not alan. once you realize that, it's very easy to walk in a straight line. like i said in another thread, i must be a damn genius since i was able to deduce this within the first 5 minutes of gameplay...