PDA

View Full Version : Joystick suggestions

Stormviper
02-23-2012, 09:21 AM
I'm thinking of getting this game as I've been looking for a decent space game since my days of playing Freelancer. However, it looks like this game would be the most fun to play with a proper joystick. I have a VERY old Saitek Cyborg Gold that I got back in the days when I was playing Mechwarrior 4 online, but I haven't tried using it since getting getting Windows 7 a couple years ago.

However, I think I would like to get a new joystick since my old Saitek stick is showing a good deal of wear. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good joystick? I might even be interested in getting one that comes with a weapon control system (does Evo Merc support WCS's?), but I'd like to keep the cost at least somewhat reasonable. Between $100-%150 seems about my budget range.

Thanks in advance.

theonetruedark
02-23-2012, 10:28 AM
I'm using a Thrustmaster Hotas X for playing EM. It's got a deadzone that takes some getting used to, but it's not intolerable.
It has 5 axes, 12 buttons and has a detachable throttle/weapons-control. (can come apart about 30-40cm.) It works for PS3 and PC and is fully customizable in EM on all axes and buttons.
It's not the best stick in the world, but it works perfectly for me and costs only about 40-50$

I've heard a few good things about the new Saitek Cyborg X stick too though, and I think it's at about the same price-range.

Stormviper
02-23-2012, 01:03 PM
Wow... that Thrustmaster stick does look pretty nice and is a lot cheaper than I thought a HOTAS would be. I did a quick search a couple days ago and was coming up with HOTAS devices around $200!

Anyway, I looked up the Thrustmaster Hotas X on Amazon and they list it at only $50 with lots of 5-star reviews. Sounds like a good buy to me. But then I also saw the Saitek X52 Flight Control System. That one looks pretty sweet as well and has a lot of good reviews, but it is listed for almost $100. I'm wondering what the real difference is that makes the Saitek stick $50 more expensive. Is the LCD on the Saitek stick really worthwhile? Is there anyone that might have any insight on this?

I guess the reason I am wondering is because the X52 isn't really out of my budget, but who wants to pay an extra $50 for something if they don't need to?

GoldenShadow
02-23-2012, 03:19 PM
I got the Thrustmaster hotas X for 50 on amazon and Its very nice. There's fine controls for delicate adjustments, and you can swing the stick around to spin your ship around too.
Set up the HAT switch for the vertical and horizontal thrusters.

http://i.imgur.com/CFVPR.jpg

mrt
02-23-2012, 07:26 PM
my humble opinion is you don't actually need throttle axis in this game as it useless at present state of IDS (Inertia Dampening System) implementation.

zodden
02-24-2012, 05:27 AM
Just FYI I am using a 10 year old Saitek 3d Gold USB with this game (Win7 64) and it works great! I haven't used it in 6+ years but dusted it off and have been happy with its performance.

So if you decided to plug it in and give it a try it works great.

neurosis
03-23-2012, 10:19 PM
Decided to buy this today, I'm not sure if I will be happy with it or not, but I'm creating something similar for a demo and I want to check out how the planet transitions are pulled off.
Saitek X52 is what I'm planning to use.

x52 FlightStick (http://neuroticnetworks.com/pix/42inchLCD/42inch_LCD.jpg)

Used it so far on X3 and IL-2 COD, with decent results.
I've also got an old logitech controller if that doesnt work out.

Post Game Review: BAD. So Very Bad. I give it a pass on an the lame grafx, and there might be ways to save it(NEW UI plz). But yeah, its pretty terrible, prepare to be very very tolerant.