PGuybrush
02-25-2012, 03:31 AM
Step 1.
Download\extract this.
www.widescreenfixer.org

Step 2.
Run it, select the profile for Darkness II

Step 3.
Click the cog button to open settings. Enable aspect-ratio and FOV fix.

Step 4.
Untick "automatically detect", and set it manually. Your ideal settings will probably be 1x 16:9, and a FOV of around 65. I don't think the numbers are accurate, because at anything much higher than 70 you get serious fish-eye, and it doesn't feel right. I usually play at 90, but start at 65 and adjust to taste. Save settings and press the close window button. Do NOT exit widescreen fixer.

Step 5.
Start the game, and when in-game press the * button on numpad (you can change the shortcut in the settings tab). You should see the FOV update. Press it again to disable. It takes a second or three to change the FOV, so don't hammer on the button if it's not immediate.

Step 6.
In future, you'll need to have widescreen fixer running when you're playing Darkness 2, and hit the shortcut (*) when in-game to enable it.

Step 7.
Feel free to +rep me if this helps. =)

erwem576
02-25-2012, 08:33 AM
Wow, it really does work. Need app. +1 rep.

Hellstrong
02-25-2012, 11:36 AM
cool, finally got around of giving this a go, should really not be hard to patch in, only required fixes i noticed were correct scaling of 2D overlay effects and placement of arms according to selected FoV

PGuybrush
02-25-2012, 11:50 AM
What do you mean by 2d overlay effects and arm placements? The only bug i noticed with this was when you light the candle for Jenny after the opening level, you can see the "ends" of the arms for a second or two.

erwem576
02-25-2012, 12:02 PM
I found 75 to be perfect for me here at 16:10.

Works great on Amalur, too! 5 clicks up makes all the difference in the world in that thing. :)

Hellstrong
02-25-2012, 03:04 PM
What do you mean by 2d overlay effects and arm placements? The only bug i noticed with this was when you light the candle for Jenny after the opening level, you can see the "ends" of the arms for a second or two.
I used it in coop.
2D overlay effects, such as when you have the skill when you destroy hearts you gain less cooldown time on abillities, you get a purple glow over your screen, changing FoV results in the overlay being too small.
As for the arms, games with proper FoV settings change their placement for the FPS view so it will look no diffrent, using fixes or hacks results in you seeing too much and they look too far away.

J.D.*
02-25-2012, 11:20 PM
It's just as unstable as the last time it was posted. Hope they release the patch soon, last I heard it was in the "testing" phase.

PGuybrush
02-26-2012, 12:07 AM
I've been playing from the start, and I've just reached the brothel level with no crashes or instability.

J.D.*
02-26-2012, 12:19 AM
Unless you enjoy watching items clipping all around you as you're running, then enabling the implemented clipping fix (off by default) is a must. Doing so crashes when you eat a heart in sp. And even with the clipping fix in vendetta mode, there is still clipping. Not very practical or stable in my book.

PGuybrush
02-26-2012, 05:10 AM
Weird, I haven't enabled the clipping fix, and I'm not seeing any clipping issues, or any issues with weapons, arms, executions or hearts. Once or twice I've seen the ends of Jackie's (human) arms on "special" occasions (lighting a candle for Jenny, for example), but these are rare. Maybe if you set the FOV really high you would have more issues with it, but I'm now up to the carnival, and still haven't had any crashes or major clipping.

erwem576
02-26-2012, 11:27 AM
Dumb question: Is the bad clipping less apparent if you reduce FOV just a little bit? I've avoided using that clipping fix because it even has a disclaimer right there in the program that it can increase crashing.

IMO I would think anyone going past 75 FOV in this game might be headed for overkill territory but YMMV and all that.

PGuybrush
02-26-2012, 11:46 AM
Yeah, the closer FOV is to default, the less clipping you'll see. On 65 I've only noticed a little bit, and I'm not using the clipping fix.

PGuybrush
03-02-2012, 04:48 AM
I was able to complete the entire game using this, without a single crash. Just FYI.

SaturdaySnax
03-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Just wow! Thanks guys, didn't know what I was missing. 75 on 16:9 is working great. Tried 82.5, which works for dead island and BF3, but was too much for this. Thanks again for sharing.

PGuybrush
03-04-2012, 09:45 PM
Don't forget to +rep me :)

In_Sane
03-06-2012, 07:02 AM
Ty man.
+ rep from me, and I think the devs should give you some credits too, couse without that fix I would not buy this game.
OK, I admit, another reason is I've found it for 27$ at http://www.cdkeysdirect.com/products/The-Darkness-2-Steam-Cd-Key-EU%7B47%7DUS%7B47%7DUK%7B47%7DAU-limited-edition.html ;)