PDA

View Full Version : Black screen upon startup

Hextech Discord
02-26-2012, 08:25 AM
As title says, when I start the game up, it just goes to a black screen, but unlike most of the other problems it is not a crash of any sort. I can hear the intro music, and from listening closely I can even attack and move around when my character spawns.

I have looked around and tried almost every other fix, some which include replacing the .exe, moving the steam folder, removing the .dll files, updating my graphics drivers, un/reinstalling the game, specifying administrator priveliges with the game, and probably a few more I can't think of right now.

This happened as of the last patch issued, before that I had the game 100% completed and have never had any problems up until now.

Any suggestions on what to do? I'm completely at loss of what to try. Running on Windows 7 with an Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti.

m4ttbush
02-26-2012, 04:42 PM
Damn... I think the only thing that changed in terms of graphics stuff in the last patch was that I compiled with a newer version of DirectX... Can you try updating DirectX? (http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=35)

Also could you try alt+tabbing out of the game, then back. This should reset the DirectX device, and might fix the problem.

Otherwise, I have an OpenGL build of the game working now. I'll try to include it in an update soon and you can try that.

Thanks

Hextech Discord
02-27-2012, 09:15 AM
From following the link, it tells me that I already have a newer or equivalent version of DirectX, no update needed. Alt-tabbing does nothing, I even tried completely minimizing the game window (for whatever it was worth).

Guess I'll just be waiting for that update, lol. Thanks for the response.

butterballman
03-23-2012, 06:55 PM
POSSIBLE SOLUTION !!!! (It worked or me...)
Now mind you, I'm no tech junkie so my wording might be kinda crazy, but I hope you get the gist.

Oh my lord...I have been killing myself trying to find a solution to this BLACK SCREEN w/AUDIO problem for DustForce. I've been to every possible thread and tried every single suggestion including the whole disable the D3dOVERRIDER crap but I still had the same problem.

Chances are, most of us have fairly decent gfx cards, and we have our settings maximized to get the most out of the card to show the best graphics. Well I took that into account, and opened up my NVIDIA SETTINGS application to change the graphics settings.

Hopefully non-nvidia cards have a similar option, but I opened the "NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL" then went to 3D Settings/Adjust image settings with preview. I clicked "Use my preference ephasizing:" and slid the bar all the way to the left to PERFORMANCE which basically sacrifices good gfx for speed.

Opened up DustForce and it works perfectly now.

DustForce had worked for me in the past also, then one day out the blue I only got the black screen with the music playing in the background and I was thinking to myself "What changed between then and now?"

Turns out I had been fiddling with my graphics quality settings to suit other games like ARKHAM CITY, and for some reason those top-notch settings are too much for DustForce to handle.

So...dumb-down your graphics settings folks. Hopefully you have the NVIDIA Control Panel to do this with. Remember, slide the bar toward PERFORMANCE, and not QUALITY. Also, don't manually adjust the 3D gfx settings, just roll with performance.

I really hope this helps people, because trust me I understand your frustration. It's maddening.

(note: I also hit END PROCESS on that D3DOverrider crap to turn that off. haven't tested to see if it affects Dustforce anymore since I changed my gfx settings, but I say disable it anyway just to eliminate all possible problems).

Hextech Discord
04-01-2012, 09:14 PM
Holy carp, it worked! Kinda weird, but alright. Thanks for that!

SoulChaser
04-27-2012, 01:58 AM
Thanks a lot! This worked! YES!

MrShunshine
05-01-2012, 11:21 AM
Setting it on 'Let the Application Decide' also works for me.

Youngoli
05-02-2012, 01:52 AM
I'm having the same problem, but unfortunately I'm not using an Nvidia card since my old one fried. I'm stuck with an integrated card that, theoretically, should run this game (it runs Super Meat Boy fine), yet I just get the black screen.

spasticspoon
05-02-2012, 04:02 AM
I had the same problem, i fixed it by starting the game with "Dustforce_original.exe" (in the game files)and then enabling the intro.
Now i can start the game through steam again.

m4ttbush
05-02-2012, 04:16 AM
Thanks for the heads up spasticspoon, will fix in a patch shortly.

the_pathfinder
05-02-2012, 10:25 AM
i think i have a fix for it
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2680405

midnitecarnival
05-03-2012, 04:44 PM
The dustforce_original executable pops up for a second and crashes back to desktop as well.

Just checking to see if "Opening Movie" issue since yesterday's level editor update has been fixed yet.

ChunkAhoy
05-06-2012, 02:38 PM
I have the exact same problem but i'm on a MacBook Pro with an ATI card running mac OS X 10.6.8.

Wyxmir
05-06-2012, 07:05 PM
I'm having the same problem, but unfortunately I'm not using an Nvidia card since my old one fried. I'm stuck with an integrated card that, theoretically, should run this game (it runs Super Meat Boy fine), yet I just get the black screen.

My exact problem as well.

Vyrastas
10-29-2012, 11:56 PM
I have the black screen problem. I have an NVIDIA card and mine was already set for Performance over Quality. So that solution doesn't work for me. I have tried everything else that's been posted, everything is updated, yet I get no visuals. I easily meet all the specs for the game. Is anyone else still having this problem? Any other solutions?

I really hate PC gaming sometimes. Just want to play the game I paid for, not spend 30 minutes screwing around trying to figure it out.

Edit: NVM, I tried it on my Mac and was able to play it there.

vuce
03-07-2013, 01:11 PM
Just bought this and have the same problem, on ati hd 5870. None of the mentioned "solutions" work. So I guess no fix? :mad: