PDA

View Full Version : (RANT) Score system fail

Wartex
02-26-2012, 01:13 PM
So what is the deal with the score system? I've played a couple of 3v3 games, and it always ends abruptly without any warning as a team hits the score limit. It feels kinda bad to be pulled out of the game like that. There should atleast be some kind of warning that the game is about to end soon, like in World in Conflict and BF3.

Also, I played my first ranked game just now. I'm still kinda mad about that one. My opponent pooled all of his money into a blob of tanks and bmps with no real AA support. I had spread infantry, tanks and AA all over the map and was pounding his blob with my arty and TOW helis. I held 3 zones throughout the whole game while he only held his start, so I got ahead with about 2000 res. He only had a few tanks left with low ammo while I had the whole map dotted with units, helis flying around etc. I rushed 8 Valorise tanks to his base along with 2 tow helis and 4 cobras to take out his command car. THEN literally 2 sec after I said a pre-emptive GG to him the game ended with me in minor defeat. I was like... WHAT? I couldn't believe my eyes. I had apparently gotten 53% of the casualties and that made me lose. Doesn't me owning 3 zones and outnumbering him 20 times over count for anything?

If getting the most kills per death is the goal of the game, there's no reason to get the cheap stuff. Just go for the Abrams and Apaches and you win? GAH! /end rant

Stooo
02-26-2012, 01:49 PM
The scoring system is different to most games you might have played.
The game is won when 1 of the following conditions is met.

One of you kills the total points worth of units that the game was started with. If it was a 1500 point game then the game ends when someone kills 1500 points worth.
When one of you loses all your command units.

Zones give you income which allows you to purchase more units. But you'll still lose if you throw them away.

Some Frederick the 2nd should help you on your way "He who defends everything, defends nothing"
Focus your defence if someones blobbing, fight him on your terms and don't be afraid to consolidate your forces. Also you can try to ninja his command units if he isn't holding ground, he may only have the starting jeep.

The cheap units do have a use. Some are very effective but have weaknesses. Also you can risk cheap units. Losing 3 lots of helo infantry on trying to ninja his start zone isnt bad. Losing 2 Apache's trying to do the same thing may lose you the game.

Ruges
02-26-2012, 06:34 PM
I have to agree with not liking the score system. It seems just as if the game is just starting to get interesting it end. Even when you are on the winning side you feel cheated. I really wish there was an annilation mode, that would make the game much more enjoyable of me.

wrath625
02-26-2012, 07:14 PM
The score system is excellent.

You pay 175 for an apache helicopter, and when the enemy kills your apache helicopter they earn 175 points.

You spend 6000 points worth of units, and when they all die the enemy reaches the 6000 point score limit.

If this were changed there suddenly wouldn't be meaning to destroying high value targets with cheap expendable units, other than trying to win by annihilation.

EDIT:

play time limit mode if you want long games that play out like annihilation

Ruges
02-26-2012, 07:34 PM
Play time is still only limited to 60 minutes.

EDIT.
I guess my main problem with the points limit is you generaly start out with that many points to begin with. You dont need to capture those forward bases becouse you dont need the units. More units dont mean victory. More units just means you can be defeated that much quicker. So you might as well not advance to forward positions in the game as you risk being out of position and risking lost units. Instead seting up the best defense so you loose the least units is the best tactic.

Deuzerre
02-27-2012, 03:13 AM
More units means more firepower. More firepower means you take him down faster than he does take you down.

Reinforcements mean reacting to the enemy tactics. If you can't use reinforcements/don't think they are useful, that means you are only thinking of your own strategy. And that is bad.

ScrotoBaggins
02-27-2012, 09:31 AM
Maybe this isn't your game........

Arrowhead
02-27-2012, 09:52 AM
The score system is excellent.

You pay 175 for an apache helicopter, and when the enemy kills your apache helicopter they earn 175 points.

You spend 6000 points worth of units, and when they all die the enemy reaches the 6000 point score limit.

If this were changed there suddenly wouldn't be meaning to destroying high value targets with cheap expendable units, other than trying to win by annihilation.

Exactly. The score system is brilliant as long as you understand what the score means. Basically, like in BF, you start with a certain amount of tickets. Once they are gone, it's all over folks. So don't waste your units. Try to retreat and repair ones you see are losing.

Wartex
02-27-2012, 11:10 AM
Okay, I guess the score system has its merits, and I could learn to play according to them, but I still think it is a strange way to select the winner of the game that way. Attempting to hold more zones only means that you will have to deploy command units for 200+ res, and the zone lighting up with your color tells your enemy that there's a yummy target in the one small forest in that zone, as is often the case. Also, and more importantly, your forces will be twice as spread out by doing this, making you a lot easier to overwhelm with a strong blob of units. The best tactic would surely be to match your opponents number of zones and just turtle up with supply trucks and defend and never do any offensive moves whatsoever.

It just seems kind of weird with a system that has you play carebear for all your units like this. I would rather choose the playstyle to arty my own units if it only meant that I took down more enemies than friendlies with that move, or send wave after wave of tanks to assault their position until they had no ammo left.

wrath625
02-27-2012, 01:35 PM
Play time is still only limited to 60 minutes.

Ive only had one game exceed 30 minutes, out of 90+.

An hour is plenty of time to completely annihilate your opponent in the slowest most relaxed manor.

I play predominantly 4v4's at 6k since I have quite a few friends I got to buy the game.

SapientWolf
02-27-2012, 02:36 PM
Okay, I guess the score system has its merits, and I could learn to play according to them, but I still think it is a strange way to select the winner of the game that way. Attempting to hold more zones only means that you will have to deploy command units for 200+ res, and the zone lighting up with your color tells your enemy that there's a yummy target in the one small forest in that zone, as is often the case. Also, and more importantly, your forces will be twice as spread out by doing this, making you a lot easier to overwhelm with a strong blob of units. The best tactic would surely be to match your opponents number of zones and just turtle up with supply trucks and defend and never do any offensive moves whatsoever.

It just seems kind of weird with a system that has you play carebear for all your units like this. I would rather choose the playstyle to arty my own units if it only meant that I took down more enemies than friendlies with that move, or send wave after wave of tanks to assault their position until they had no ammo left.
You would be very unpopular with whatever's left of your command.

If you think about it, it's really weirder the other way around, because it rewards scenarios like the one you mentioned.

Ruges
02-27-2012, 09:05 PM
Ive only had one game exceed 30 minutes, out of 90+.

An hour is plenty of time to completely annihilate your opponent in the slowest most relaxed manor.

I play predominantly 4v4's at 6k since I have quite a few friends I got to buy the game.
And I have only had 2 games go less then an hour. And that was only becouse I played a ranked game and it said I lost connection on both of them after a few minutes ingame.

I do play slow and methodical. Not risking any units managing supply the best that can be done, Pulling damaged units out of groups to send them back for repairs. So my games are a very high rate K/D ratio in my favor making for nice victories. However just as soon as I start geting enough units on the map to advance and start conquring the map, the game ends as I then have enough kills.

Think of it like sex, your just geting to the climax when your wife says shes done. Except here you dont get to finish yourself off.

All I am asking for is an annilation mode, You dont have to play it if you dont want to.

abjectblitz
02-28-2012, 06:42 AM
I want an annihilation mode, the points system is bs.