PDA

View Full Version : Baldur's Gate?

ssj4brandon
02-29-2012, 08:06 AM
http://baldursgate.com/
?

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/02/29/mysterious-baldurs-gate-teaser-website-appears/

Nerdgasm. :)

spartan0078
02-29-2012, 08:08 AM
I don't know why everyones so late to the party? That site has been up for over a month has it not?

Vir
02-29-2012, 08:11 AM
I'm hyped.

Muraz
02-29-2012, 08:59 AM
Given the track record of the company allegedly behind the site ... this looks like Baldur's Gate HD.

Parts of me are quivering in excitement.

Larry1212
02-29-2012, 09:18 AM
Meh, they need to move onto another once popular IP and screw it up, don't they? :mad:

Muraz
02-29-2012, 09:21 AM
Meh, they need to move onto another once popular IP and screw it up, don't they? :mad:
HD remakes aren't screwing up.

Alavard
02-29-2012, 09:21 AM
Given the track record of the company allegedly behind the site ... this looks like Baldur's Gate HD.

Parts of me are quivering in excitement.

This had better happen or Boo will be sad.

Zero_Vector
02-29-2012, 09:22 AM
Well as long as Bioware aren't making a BG3 cover-based shooter :p

Nisseman
02-29-2012, 11:17 AM
If I see todays Bioware even lay a finger on it, then I will hate them forever.
Bioware without black Isle is nothing.

HeadshotHoncho
02-29-2012, 11:20 AM
haha I never knew about it. Anyway I'll keep Baldurs Gate in my memory where it belongs. I cant bring myself to choose the alignment bit again: Who am I? :D

I don't remember having to choose an alignment. :confused:

Or do you mean like the class/race?

KuranesDreamer
02-29-2012, 11:21 AM
You guys know it's just going to be a new Baldur's Gate: DARK ALLIANCE, right? IE, The ♥♥♥♥ty Baldur's Gate series.

Sgt.Gotee
02-29-2012, 12:33 PM
I thought Bioware passed on the reupping of their licence to develop D&D (Wizard's of the Coast content, I believe) based games a long time ago (now owned by Atari, I think?). That probably rules out a sequel but does it rule out a higher resolution remake?

Bellcross
02-29-2012, 12:44 PM
This makes me what to re-install all my old builders gate games and play them all over again.

videogames10
02-29-2012, 12:45 PM
This had better happen or Boo will be sad.

Boo Hoo

trojanrabbit.gg
02-29-2012, 12:48 PM
An HD remastering would be really great. :)

But don't change anything else! :mad:

Fac3hugg3r
02-29-2012, 01:18 PM
It will be released with a day one DLC featuring Boo character! *Throwing my wallet at the monitor* *Monitor dodges the wallet* *Critical strike on my cola glass*

Jderz
02-29-2012, 02:22 PM
Just remake. Don't awesome button it. Don't give us lock on fighting and button combos. Don't give us streamlined dialogue wheels. Don't release it with Day 1 DLC. Just. ♥♥♥♥ing. Remake. IT

HeadshotHoncho
02-29-2012, 02:48 PM
Just remake. Don't awesome button it. Don't give us lock on fighting and button combos. Don't give us streamlined dialogue wheels. Don't release it with Day 1 DLC. Just. ♥♥♥♥ing. Remake. IT

I wouldn't mind a few more race/class options, though.

Son, I am derp
02-29-2012, 03:13 PM
HD remakes aren't screwing up.

BG is one game where I would be OK with an HD remake. The oldness of the game gets in the way of the storytelling and some of the core mechanics. When I say HD remake, I mean in the spirit of the God of War or Ico/SotC ports to the PS3, not a reboot of the game itself.

trojanrabbit.gg
02-29-2012, 03:15 PM
I wouldn't mind a few more race/class options, though.

Its a slippery slope when dealing with updating a classic D&D game. If you change a race or class option that was not present in the second edition rule set, then you risk breaking the rule set and needing to upgrade to a more recent one that includes them. And if you upgrade to a new rule set, quite a bit of the game's mechanics will need to be adjusted. If you want to play as a specific race, it is best to just 'role play' the race. So if you want to be a Drow Elf, you can select the Elf race and set your skin color darker, choose stats that you think a Drow Elf might have, and set your alignment at a chaotic disposition to show your rebellious nature.

Muraz
02-29-2012, 04:11 PM
Source code of the website: "Shadowy Figure - Raise Dead: Infinity Engine". So it's going to be in the Infinity Engine, whatever it is. So does that mean the Infinity Engine is being given an upgrade to support high resolution and other such things ... or that they're actually going to make a new game in the Infinity Engine?

WANT TO KNOW! :(

trojanrabbit.gg
02-29-2012, 08:00 PM
Source code of the website: "Shadowy Figure - Raise Dead: Infinity Engine". So it's going to be in the Infinity Engine, whatever it is. So does that mean the Infinity Engine is being given an upgrade to support high resolution and other such things ... or that they're actually going to make a new game in the Infinity Engine?

WANT TO KNOW! :(

It also says "Take heart fellow adventurers, for you have curried the favor of Boo, the only miniature giant space hamster in the Realm!" and "I can teach you hot to use your wrath."

This is getting interesting... I love this kind of marketing. :cool:

leilei
02-29-2012, 08:04 PM
Boo Hoo

If Bioware were to be involved again, you'd make that "Boo Ho"

videogames10
03-01-2012, 01:54 PM
Its a slippery slope when dealing with updating a classic D&D game. If you change a race or class option that was not present in the second edition rule set, then you risk breaking the rule set and needing to upgrade to a more recent one that includes them. And if you upgrade to a new rule set, quite a bit of the game's mechanics will need to be adjusted. If you want to play as a specific race, it is best to just 'role play' the race. So if you want to be a Drow Elf, you can select the Elf race and set your skin color darker, choose stats that you think a Drow Elf might have, and set your alignment at a chaotic disposition to show your rebellious nature.

What if I want to play as a mouse? Surely, a mouse would not require any rule set changes. Add a mouse to the character set. Keep the rule set the same. Just don't forget my cheese powerups...and don't call me Boo.

HeadshotHoncho
03-01-2012, 02:21 PM

It sounds a lot like I'm thinking of a different game. I'm thinking of the one with Dwarf warrior, human archer, and elf mage as the only choices. One of the most common early enemies was a jello-looking enemy. Those things were hilarious with how they hissed at you.

Coraline Jones
03-01-2012, 04:50 PM
I suspect that the web site is trying to start up hype about a new Baldur's Gate game as opposed to just a simple remake. Then again, I've seen a lot of really dumb marketing stunts prior to this, so it's certainly possible.

I personally wish that they did re-release the original Baldur's Gate games with an HD graphical upgrade, maybe add voice acting to the dialogue, and don't change anything else. I think the games are still good enough on their own that they don't need a lot of "improvement".

In my opinion, official D&D games need to start looking like D&D games again. Combat should be turn-based so there's some element of strategy involved. I really don't understand why turn-based RPGs died, because there was nothing wrong with them. If anything, they required players to think about what they were doing, as opposed to pressing the attack button as fast as possible.

trojanrabbit.gg
03-01-2012, 06:02 PM
"The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny, chaos will be sown by their passage."

-So sayeth the wise Alaundo-

"I can teach you how to use your wrath."

More text. :)

leilei
03-01-2012, 06:04 PM
I wonder how many kids believe this is about Dark Alliance?

trojanrabbit.gg
03-01-2012, 06:07 PM

Dark Alliance wasn't even a Baldur's Gate game. It was a game cashing in on the Baldur's Gate title. :p

AsheMan
03-01-2012, 06:09 PM
Well as long as Bioware aren't making a BG3 cover-based shooter :p

I had similar thoughts. Today's BioWare is not capable of making a good BG game.

leilei
03-01-2012, 06:28 PM
Dark Alliance wasn't even a Baldur's Gate game. It was a game cashing in on the Baldur's Gate title. :p

Sadly in most circles it's the most popular and well-known "Baldur's Gate" game. :(

That game has enough sequels anyway, the latest being LOTR:War in the North

AsheMan
03-01-2012, 06:35 PM
Sadly in most circles it's the most popular and well-known "Baldur's Gate" game. :(

That game has enough sequels anyway, the latest being LOTR:War in the North

You need some new circles. That's not the game that comes to anyone's mind that I know when they think of BG.

Muraz
03-01-2012, 06:37 PM
I suspect that the web site is trying to start up hype about a new Baldur's Gate game as opposed to just a simple remake. Then again, I've seen a lot of really dumb marketing stunts prior to this, so it's certainly possible.

I personally wish that they did re-release the original Baldur's Gate games with an HD graphical upgrade, maybe add voice acting to the dialogue, and don't change anything else. I think the games are still good enough on their own that they don't need a lot of "improvement".

In my opinion, official D&D games need to start looking like D&D games again. Combat should be turn-based so there's some element of strategy involved. I really don't understand why turn-based RPGs died, because there was nothing wrong with them. If anything, they required players to think about what they were doing, as opposed to pressing the attack button as fast as possible.
D&D is D&D, and CRPGs are CRPGs. Trying to maintain D&D in a pure format usually doesn't work very well. Baldur's Gate had it right; take the essense and basic combat rules of D&D and incorporate them into a CRPG interface, so you're not dealing with the complicated and at times very tedious and slow method of combat which D&D favours, but you're still using the very solid foundations which those rules created.

Anyway, I'm prepared to put money on it not being a new Baldur's Gate game (I don't see how Beamdog would ever get the license to do that in a million years, they're not a big enough company to do so). All the clues point to an HD remake with a possible modern overhaul of the Infinity Engine.

KuranesDreamer
03-01-2012, 07:33 PM

Considering they had said the Dark Alliance franchise was one they wanted to revive and not Baldur's Gate itself specifically, I'm more inclined to believe it will be a DA game and not a remake of BG.

Tr3ndki11
03-02-2012, 08:20 AM
Considering they had said the Dark Alliance franchise was one they wanted to revive and not Baldur's Gate itself specifically, I'm more inclined to believe it will be a DA game and not a remake of BG.

But the website's background has portraits of Baldur's Gate I NPCs, and the text from page mentions infinity engine and quotes from the original game, not Dark Alliance. Also, apparently Beamdog is the company connected to the website, not Bioware, which leads me to believe that this will probably be a release for portable platforms or some kind of HD remake.

Muraz
03-06-2012, 04:17 PM
The text on the source page got updated again ...

<!-- March 5, 2012 -->
<!-- Shadowy Figure- Raise Dead : Infinity Engine -->

<!-- "She left me to die. YOU left me to die. But Shar... Shar wanted me to live." -->

<!-- "If you wish me dead, brother, it must be by your hand. No one else." -->
Weird ...

KuranesDreamer
03-06-2012, 04:52 PM
But the website's background has portraits of Baldur's Gate I NPCs, and the text from page mentions infinity engine and quotes from the original game, not Dark Alliance. Also, apparently Beamdog is the company connected to the website, not Bioware, which leads me to believe that this will probably be a release for portable platforms or some kind of HD remake.

1) DA was also on the Infinity Engine; albeit a heavily modified and updated one used only for the consoles.

2) Is it not conceivable that, given the unpopularity of the DA series that they might want to turn the original story, or make a new story, with the original cast (so to speak) with Dark Alliance style game play?

3) Who owns it doesn't really matter; Bioware (and through them EA) owns the rights to the Baldur's Gate name (AFAIK). Bethesda owns the Fallout name (now) but Obsidian made Fallout: New Vegas. Bioware also owns Neverwinter Nights, but again, Obsidian made Neverwinter Nights 2. If you are referring to my comment about how I read an interview where they said they wanted to re-visit the DA series; it was not an interview with Bioware, it was an interview with the designers who are no longer with Bioware.

I would rather see an HD remake, but a DA game with the original characters, and possibly the original story could be cool as well.

trojanrabbit.gg
03-06-2012, 05:10 PM
1) DA was also on the Infinity Engine; albeit a heavily modified and updated one used only for the consoles.

Dragon Age used the Eclipse Engine.

KuranesDreamer
03-06-2012, 05:18 PM
Dragon Age used the Eclipse Engine.

DA = Dark Alliance, as in Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance :p

Muraz
03-06-2012, 06:59 PM
I'm pretty sure that's not true. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Alliance_Engine)

V3n0m666
03-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Those updates on the source code are gettin me hyped!!! HD remake plz!

kjath
03-07-2012, 05:30 PM
as long as it's not in the same vein as that soon to be car wreck Neverwinter. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJGGDxjrn-w) it's supposedly going to be an "MMORPG with an emphasis on action". has anyone ever actually played Dungeons & Dragons expecting action?