PDA

View Full Version : Vessel has something most puzzle games lack

benco97
03-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Actual PUZZLES!

It's really refreshing to see a puzzle game with puzzles that aren't literally spelled out for you and you actually have to think about.

Very good, thank you!

johnk
03-01-2012, 11:58 PM
You're welcome! Yes our goal designing them (in the later puzzles) was to seriously melt your brain. Hope it's working.

DarthPsymon
03-02-2012, 12:16 AM
This. Told how to move and operate the tools you pick up then left to it.
No massive arrows.
No text pop ups after 2 mins of thinking.
The fact this game hasn't been massively dumbed down is one of it's best features.

targetbsp
03-02-2012, 01:28 AM
Yeah, it's really nice to actually have to work things out without having your hand held for you the whole time!

Hope its not a risky gamble and doesn't put off people who play the demo. I was sat stuck a few times in the demo wondering how to proceed. Glad I stuck with it and I was then desperate for more and had to buy it by the end of the demo.

chilkat
03-02-2012, 03:29 AM
That is good to hear, I do not appreciate (too much) handholding
However . . .

When it has come to the "getting bold spot from scratching head too much" point, is there at least some hint option?
I want to avoid walkthroughs whenever I can.

johnk
03-02-2012, 11:06 AM
Thanks guys, glad you appreciate the 'respect' we give players by not holding their hands. I hate when games do that.

As for a hint system, we decided the internet would gladly provide that in the form of walkthroughs for those that really need it. And each world you can skip 1 puzzle and still complete it, and you can pass puzzles and come back to them, so hopefully that will make things easier.

There's a couple puzzles that can be solved with alternatively with the right upgrade too.

chilkat
03-02-2012, 11:20 AM
Well, more than fair enough, thank you johnk.
And yes, handholding makes me feel like 'they' think I'm stupid,
it's quite aggravating.

etay2k
03-03-2012, 05:36 AM
I am midway through, and I feel a sense of freedom that it not found on other puzzle games : I don't think there was one puzzle I actually got stuck in and had to start all over again because I did something wrong. (apart for some bugs, that are not part of the puzzle design I hope...)

It's really fun and stress free :)