PDA

View Full Version : Various questions about the hitbox and the special moves in MK

jackhunter
03-06-2012, 09:35 AM
Hello,this is something i dont really understand well in MK series.

Why when two characters perform a flying kick, one of them will take advantage,and the next time, it will be the opponent that will succeed.
I guess is a mater of timing, but this always seems strange for me.

I also have that some characters have better feet.

For example i have the feeling Sheevava is better at kicks because she has longer legs, is this true or just psychological?

Also i would like to know if i am the onlky one to have issues to press forward and downward to perform teleport.For some reason it works better with the stick than with the cross, but thtis move which seems simple seems so hard for me.

UncleBionic
03-06-2012, 10:24 AM
Every character have different hit-boxes and reach.

Sheeva is quite average actually on her every jump attack. She is large target, but have basic reach. So in this case, yes it is psychological.

There is multiple guides about this around, some of them made by professional players.

One of these is made by Shock, he was helped legendary players like ded_. This guide covers almost every basic tactic in UMK3.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/arcade/583645-ultimate-mortal-kombat-3/faqs/42984

One thing to note: The best thing is to try these on your own. For example there is multiple things I disagree even in this guide, so don't use it as your "bible", ok?
:)

MKVVanderbilt
03-06-2012, 10:47 AM
Hello,this is something i dont really understand well in MK series.

Why when two characters perform a flying kick, one of them will take advantage,and the next time, it will be the opponent that will succeed.
I guess is a mater of timing, but this always seems strange for me.

I also have that some characters have better feet.

For example i have the feeling Sheevava is better at kicks because she has longer legs, is this true or just psychological?

Also i would like to know if i am the onlky one to have issues to press forward and downward to perform teleport.For some reason it works better with the stick than with the cross, but thtis move which seems simple seems so hard for me.

Here in Brazil the people have self knowledge about the game

What happens is that when one of the rounds is released to one of the players ...

example:

1. if the first round is released to a player in the second round will be libeirado for player 2, one example is that if two players are playing with Nightwolf and the two together to give the ombrada preference will always be for the player who is released with the round ..

2. have combos that only work when the round is released ...

MKVVanderbilt
03-06-2012, 10:51 AM
3. the chars as mileena, jade, kitana usually does not cause much damage as some chars like smoke ...
but the aerial shot, the throw is more effective

MKVVanderbilt
03-06-2012, 11:01 AM
The combo is considered the most difficult game

Sindel of the combo ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVN5egTfvCw

skateblind
03-06-2012, 11:28 AM
Sry to repeat what you said MKVVanderbilt, but I don't think some will understand.

Hit Boxes

With kicks in the air, sometimes it is about reach. The player with the longer legs will usually cause the hit because their foot hitbox will hit their opponents hitbox before yours will. That is the normal way and it depends on who you pick and who your opponent is. Some players just have better reach and hitboxes. Kano for example as an excellent jump kick against just about any other character.

My advice would be to try and press kick as soon as you get in the air if you are trying to hit someone out of the air. If I am fighting someone who dominates the air kicks, then I just wait for them to jump kick, take a couple of steps backwards so that I am out of range and then sweep them just as they are about to land, works against all the characters since they cannot reach me.

------------------------

One important thing to understand about all mk1,2 and U is that at the start of every round one player gets given priority for all 50/50 hits in that round. This is taken from http://ultimatemk.com/wiki/article/Ultimate_Mortal_Kombat_3

"Player Priority

Unlike other fighting games, in the 2D Mortal Kombat games, both players cannot be hit at the exact same time. One of the 2 players has priority over the other. Which character has priority is selected at the beginning of each round. If two people pick the same character and are near each other and both players do a HP at the exact same time, one player will take priority. Which player has priority stays the same for the entire round.

This applies to projectiles as well. It can appear during normal gameplay that both players can be hit by projectiles at the exact same time. In fact their life will begin to drain on the same frame and everything. However, one character was actually hit before the other character. If both players are in danger and fire projectiles so that they'll connect at the exact same time, the player with priorities will hit first, kill the opponent and he or she will survive."

The chances of a lot of 50/50s in one round is pretty low for most players. So don't worry about this mechanic.

---------------------

As for button presses, MK is based on switches, which means for a fireball you only need to press down, then press forward, then punch. It is NOT like street fighter where you have to do down, downfoward, forward, punch.

If you can learn to press only the buttons required then you will eventually get a bit quicker at performing moves and it will improve your overall game. Your preference of what control type to use is up to you, I personally use the dpad because I feel I am lot quicker and more accurate than I was with the stick. General consensus is that arcade sticks are best, then dpads and then analog sticks. Some dpads are rubbish though. The 360 dpad is not very accurate at all, but I personally hate the gaps in between directions on a ps3 pad.

MKVVanderbilt
03-06-2012, 12:22 PM
Thank you for helping me explain ...

I speak Portuguese

I then it is difficult to express