PDA

View Full Version : Todays deal so the obligatory is it worth it?

ZYZKryten
03-07-2012, 10:16 AM
Looks good like the style but how does it play and is it worth it at 50% off?

Flashmason
03-07-2012, 10:23 AM
Very dull, gets old quickly. there is a reason why it's 52/100 metacritic. average everything

Me2nice
03-07-2012, 10:32 AM
Whether it's worth it is something only you can answer. I personally enjoyed the game and thought it was worth the cash spent on it. There's, in my opinion, lots to explore and lots to laugh at. The game isn't really "Actiony," you can get pretty far by just button-mashing your way through enemies, but there is fun to be had in exploring each level in search of treasure (you are playing a bounty hunter after all). Do know that story ends at a cliffhanger; the reason for this is because of issues between Atari and the developer (but the developer is still looking for a way around this).

All in all, I would say the game is worth it. You, however, may say otherwise. Try the demo and find out.

Lord iCeDrAgOn
03-07-2012, 10:33 AM
I would definitely say that the game is worth it, it might not be for everyone, but it's a fun little game.

ZYZKryten
03-07-2012, 10:35 AM
Also is it worth it from a story standpoint considering the sequel probably wont see the light of day?

electrorenan
03-07-2012, 10:43 AM
Any tecnical problems? Is playable with keyboard and mouse?

Slaizt
03-07-2012, 10:51 AM
I enjoyed it very much. It's good old fashioned platforming with some so-so combat and not so challenging puzzles. I can understand that the style and dialogue can put off some people as it's rather cutesy and the jokes are the kind that makes you laugh because they are so cheesy :p

Even though, I really don't think the 52 metacritic is valid at all. More like somewhere in the mid 70s or just below if you ask me.
If you like platform-games and don't mind the cutesy stuff then I think you'll enjoy it.

It took me 7 hours to playthrough and then I wasn't even exploring. The levels are huge... No joke. If you enjoyed your first playthrough and are the slightest bit of a completionist then you'll definitely play it again to explore and collect all the weapons, items and costumes.

Story-wise the game ends not as a cliffhanger but definitely pointing towards a sequel/part 2. The story isn't the game's main attraction though so you won't feel disappointed if Part 2 never comes out.

Play the demo, if you enjoy it, or even just like it, then I think you can't go wrong with Blade Kitten for that price.

EDIT-----

Keyboard & mouse works just fine. Might take a lil bit of getting used to but there is certainly no major problems with it. I personally haven't tried it with a controller yet.

Magixe
03-07-2012, 10:52 AM
I's a pretty decent game, I enjoyed it and I would recommend a controller!

electrorenan
03-07-2012, 11:00 AM
Hum... might be worth to spend the rest of my cash on it then (Darksiders II pre-order burn my wallet).

Kidofthecentury
03-07-2012, 11:26 AM
Nice game. I think that Metacritic's 52/100 is too harsh, and 4€ is a good deal.

Ansive
03-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Waiting for at least 66% off, 4 euro seems a bit steep to me.

I'll totally play it with the 60fps mod.

Silyus
03-07-2012, 11:55 AM
Yes, it's a very nice game.

Qixky
03-07-2012, 11:57 AM
The graphism in cel shading seems nice, and it's been a while since I've played a japanime style game. I would have definitely grabbed it at -75%, perhaps at -66%, well maybe next time.

P05TW4R
03-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Of course it's worth it! Grab it while you can.

Chronon
03-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Also is it worth it from a story standpoint considering the sequel probably wont see the light of day?

This point put me off the previous time. Kind of feels like buying half of a game even though I don't know anything about the ending of this part. How is it?

(Btw. Potentially considering discounted games only if they are more than half off. Almost everything will be half off automatically anyway during a big sale so not worth it if there's no special priority over every other game in my yet to install queue.)

GigaClon
03-07-2012, 01:41 PM
It was a fun game until it ended suddendly in the middle of the game. I wouldn't buy it.

NC37
03-07-2012, 01:55 PM
Quirks in level design and Kit's voice gets annoying at times. But overall I enjoyed the game. Do think the game needs a Japanese dub...just to match the style and characters better. English lends itself to be a bit more so-so in voices.

Tajador
03-07-2012, 02:05 PM
This point put me off the previous time. Kind of feels like buying half of a game even though I don't know anything about the ending of this part. How is it?

(Btw. Potentially considering discounted games only if they are more than half off. Almost everything will be half off automatically anyway during a big sale so not worth it if there's no special priority over every other game in my yet to install queue.)

It does feel like a full-sized game though, even if you are left hanging at the end. The ending is alright, there is a last boss and the story feels like it's finally picking up when it's over. The story was never really that great to begin with.

And yes, I think it's worth it. When I bought it I played through it in about three nights. It's not huge, but it's worth the $5. It's a bit rough around the edges (voice acting, cut scenes, story flow, music), but if you're just looking for a fun no-brainer platformer, then this is it. I still play through it from time-to-time, not to collect costumes (they're kind of pointless) but just because it's a fun game to play. Not sure why it got such bad reviews.

Keep in mind that the next episode is in indefinite hiatus. There are other threads on these forums explaining it, so I won't go into it. But, hopefully it will sell more and that can send a message to the right people.

Smertnik
03-07-2012, 02:26 PM
More than worth the current price if you're into platformers. The game's quite well done and feels very solid.

It's a bit rough around the edges (voice acting, cut scenes, story flow, music)
I actually enjoyed the voice acting quite a lot, especially Kit's, and the cut scenes are pretty crisp as well, at least in my opinion. But yeah, story progression is a little bit sluggish at times.

Amy
03-07-2012, 02:34 PM
Not worth it.

I would suggest you to grab it at 75% tho.

The_End_
03-07-2012, 04:26 PM
That's a pretty low metacritic score. I think I'll pass.

Xabu
03-07-2012, 04:34 PM
It's a decent little platformer with overall respectable mechanics. Combat is a little boring but exploring and searching is great.

Kitsune Sniper
03-07-2012, 04:58 PM
Not worth it.

I would suggest you to grab it at 75% tho.

Considering it has -never- gone lower than $4.99...

http://www.steamprices.com/us/app/9940/blade-kitten

The only reason I own this is because I got it as a random gift from a friend during the Christmas sale.

klentix
03-07-2012, 07:31 PM
i picked it up in a $10 atari bundle sale with 2 ghostbusters games, tdu2, and a couple extras(basically i just wanted it and tdu2 though)... it was annoying to get it to unlock with my initial security settings on the non-steam version i got, but the game was fun.

lizard81288
03-07-2012, 10:26 PM
Well, there could be a number 2, but that was in 2011 they were talking about it, so who knows.

Anyway, there is a demo. From the reviews I have seen, the story is crap. From what I read/seen, it is like a super mario bros. story.

I played the demo and loved the platforming. I didn't care for the FPS controls, mostly do to the keyboard, (I suck at hitting Q, Shift, CTRL and the like.) but plenty of options though. I'll grab my Gamepad and play it.

Pretty fun gameplay. It reminds me of Strider & Kirby's Dreamland 3 (the crawling on-top of the ceiling bit). Not really in-depth combat, more or less, old school slashes.

I'd say if you like platformers, check out the demo.

P05TW4R
03-07-2012, 10:54 PM

It's one of those rare cases when metascore is not representative of the game's quality. Yes, the controls are a bit sluggish, the combat is too easy, but overall it's a decent platformer.

MaestroRage
03-07-2012, 11:03 PM

I have to agree with poster above me on this one. I bought it today, and played it for a few hours. I actually found the combat to be fluent. I mean sprint forward, spam slash lol! Yes I realize that it's quite boring but there's a sense of satisfaction from SMASHING through the long line of enemies. Sometimes I wish there were more of them.

Metacritic were far too punishing on this one easily. I'd say mid 60's, low 70's.

Orcelot005
03-07-2012, 11:50 PM
I just played the demo and it was quite fun, don't understand how it got such a low metascore. I'm gonna buy it.

chris_fowler_
03-08-2012, 03:53 AM
The positive posts in this thread are very heartening!

Stevontoast
03-08-2012, 06:13 AM
The main character is a ♥♥♥♥♥. It's why I like her.
I love this game.
I'd urge you get it if you like 2D platformers mixed with sword play.

graspee
03-08-2012, 06:21 AM
I can't understand the mentality of people who just look at the meta critic score displayed on the steam page and decide not to even look any further into the game. Even if you're too lazy to read the actual mini reviews by the overly harsh paid critics, if you look on the meta critic page itself, the user score is a lot higher.

There's a demo too which doesn't take long to download and shows how fun the game is.

Then I can't understand the people who won't buy it because it's only 50% off, and they say they'll wait until it's 66% or 75% off. Did you look at the base price of the game? The reason it has a lower percentage reduction is because it doesn't cost that much to start with.

The price is more than fair at $5 in US and 3.50 in UK (didn't check EU).

Deverica Wolf
03-08-2012, 06:42 AM
^ What he said. I played the Demo and bought it. Reminds me of old times with my SNES. Earthworm Jim anyone?

Amy
03-08-2012, 06:58 AM
Considering it has -never- gone lower than $4.99...

http://www.steamprices.com/us/app/9940/blade-kitten

The only reason I own this is because I got it as a random gift from a friend during the Christmas sale.

It will surely go on a lower sale later.

netbozo
03-08-2012, 07:58 AM
The game is a lot of fun. Worth $5. Play the demo if you aren't sure and see if you like it.

SomeUnregPunk
03-08-2012, 08:32 AM
This game used to have a bunch of levels that made this a complete story but the developers marketing team decide to pull it out and turn it into a sequel. Might have something to do the head of the team being the guy that actually made the character and has made a few comics of her.

But after the game's poor sales, there is no way Atari who holds the license is going to let this be made.

Deverica Wolf
03-08-2012, 09:21 AM
Then make it DLC for like 3 to 5 dollars? :)

lizard81288
03-08-2012, 09:30 AM
Cool, I didn't know about:
http://www.steamprices.com/us

Does it say how much it sells for on sales? I can't find it. I click on discounts, but it gives me the deals of the day.