PDA

View Full Version : Valve denies rumours about making a Steambox

UniqueName02
03-08-2012, 03:30 PM
http://kotaku.com/5891697/shooting-down-rumors-valve-says-theyre-not-making-a-game-console-any-time-soon

I'm not suprised by this; what do you think?

Snorkel
03-08-2012, 03:31 PM
+rep

Been wondering this for a while. It seemed to me that it would have been a strange business move.

Draek
03-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Err... duh? in other news grass is green, the sky is blue, and CEOs deny joint project between McDonalds and Starbucks to build a spaceship to colonize Alpha Centauri.

Here's the thing about this hypothetical Valve console: to have any chance of success, it needs to run 99% of games in the Steam library to do so. And to have any chance of doing *that* they need to run a full, desktop version of Microsoft Windows; WINE on Linux ain't enough, as most Linux users here can testify. And the thing is, Microsoft has absolutely no reason whatsoever to colaborate with Valve on such an endeavor, while having every reason not to; they do manufacture one of the consoles Valve would be going against, after all.

Purple Lemon
03-08-2012, 03:57 PM
Well It's not a big deal. It would take them Valve Time to make it anyway.

d3vilsadvocate
03-08-2012, 04:17 PM
"Valve Says They’re Not Making a Game Console Any Time Soon"

ofc not, did they ever make anything anytime soon?

Hell, they are slower than Blizzard for pete's sake. Given that Newell is rumoured to be a billionaire I'm surprised steam and valve games are advancing at such baby steps. I mean come on, hire a few more designers to redesign steam, add a few programmers to reduce the "requested features" list, etc.

monkeedude1212
03-08-2012, 05:06 PM
"Valve Says They’re Not Making a Game Console Any Time Soon"

ofc not, did they ever make anything anytime soon?

Okay, you got a laugh out of me. Hahaha.

+rep

Been wondering this for a while. It seemed to me that it would have been a strange business move.

Why? To try something new? It's not like it's a new idea, people have been asking Valve to do this since long before the Orange Box.

Larry1212
03-08-2012, 05:16 PM
I don't know why people would go crazy over a console when apparently they're PC gamers and don't like consoles? :confused

I mean, just because it would be developed by VALVe wouldn't change the fact that it was a console. I'll stick with STEAM thank you very much. Anyway, threes a crowd... Four's an orgy.

Kendo
03-08-2012, 05:17 PM
bad title

Lombardi refused to flat-out say that Valve isn't working on a console. When I posted it to him this way—"What you're saying is, there's definitely nothing coming any time soon, nothing at GDC or E3, but what you're not ruling out is the possibility that, hey, maybe some day Valve would make hardware. "-he said, "I think that's accurate."

Washell
03-08-2012, 05:55 PM
I mean come on, hire a few more designers to redesign steam, add a few programmers to reduce the "requested features" list, etc.

Valve has a unique corporate structure and office environment which places a high level of personal responsibility on each member of the staff. It's not a situation that condones hiring the 'best' 10 out of 100 interviewees and expecting things to get done. While they could shift to a regular top down managed approach and go from 250 to 2500 employees within a year, from a financial point of view, it wouldn't be Valve any more. Rather, they'd just be another EA, Ubisoft and Blizzard.

Snorkel
03-08-2012, 06:08 PM
Why? To try something new? It's not like it's a new idea, people have been asking Valve to do this since long before the Orange Box.

No, more that they'd be going into competition against two well established products that probably don't leave much room for competition, that hardware design is not their strength, and that I don't think there would be a very large target audience for the Steam Box (most people would rather keep their PS3 or PC).

The whole rumour just seemed odd to me.

Legacy-ZA
03-08-2012, 06:11 PM
Whats new? PC gamers make the <insert company> into what they are today, just so that the <insert company> can turn on the platform that helped them make it to the top. What will the PC platform be we stuck with? Crap console ports to the PC.

What a shock! Wait a minute... where have I seen this before... no, no it isn't.

joeylawn
03-08-2012, 06:20 PM
I guess that idea must have just..........

*removes sunglasses*

..............Run out of Steam.......

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!

Rockworm
03-08-2012, 06:20 PM
I don't know why people would go crazy over a console when apparently they're PC gamers and don't like consoles? :confused

I mean, just because it would be developed by VALVe wouldn't change the fact that it was a console. I'll stick with STEAM thank you very much. Anyway, threes a crowd... Four's an orgy.

Just because I'm a PC gamer doesn't mean i'm 100% against consoles.
I have a PS3 and absolutely love it.
If Valve can outdo Microsoft Sony and Nintendo than I say more power too them.

Baron_Fel
03-08-2012, 06:48 PM
A powerful force in the PC gaming industry like Valve creating a (relatively high) min spec for people to coalesce around would only be a good thing.

youknow
03-08-2012, 06:54 PM
Aww, I liked that gamepad design

I assume not every Steam user is a PC elitist.

leilei
03-08-2012, 07:01 PM
*company employee builds a personal media center for himself using his own materials*

*gaming press tabloid makes nonsense about a company building a console based off that personal project based on a Gabe "we'll sell hardware if we have to" quote taken out of context for the extra spin

That's how I see it.

KuranesDreamer
03-08-2012, 07:34 PM
I don't trust anything I read from online news outlets concerning gaming, because most of them end up being bull♥♥♥♥ because they don't have any real journalism skills. They just report on the crap THEY read elsewhere on the net. So I never believed the rumors when reported before.

I miss credible gaming news outlets like Computer Gaming World...

FreemanForPrez
03-08-2012, 07:45 PM
I have to wonder if by now Valve has a Rumor Denying Department.
Seems like it would be a necessity by this point, being that there are always rumors and they're always denying them. ;)

Frigid
03-08-2012, 07:47 PM
That's good. I was really hoping it was fake.

bluz74
03-08-2012, 07:47 PM
I have to wonder if by now Valve has a Rumor Denying Department.
Seems like it would be a necessity by this point, being that there are always rumors and they're always denying them. ;)

Heard they did but I can't confirm it.

Roler42
03-08-2012, 07:56 PM
no steambox to use on my tv?

oh well... lemme get my cable and plug the pc to the tv then :)

FreemanForPrez
03-08-2012, 08:00 PM
Heard they did but I can't confirm it.

I suppose you think that's funny, huh?

Well *actually, it is. :D

*four syllables

Baron_Fel
03-08-2012, 08:02 PM
I don't trust anything I read from online news outlets concerning gaming, because most of them end up being bull♥♥♥♥ because they don't have any real journalism skills. They just report on the crap THEY read elsewhere on the net. So I never believed the rumors when reported before.

I miss credible gaming news outlets like Computer Gaming World...

yeah, an interview with Doug Lombardi obv doesn't mean ♥♥♥♥.

TheInsaneDump
03-08-2012, 08:48 PM
yeah, an interview with Doug Lombardi obv doesn't mean ♥♥♥♥.

I believe he's referring to the original article that started the rumor mill in the first place.

leilei
03-08-2012, 08:51 PM
I believe he's referring to the original article that started the rumor mill in the first place.

It spurred from the beard newell interview (http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/valves-gabe-newell-talks-wearable-computers-rewarding-players-and-whether-w).</captainobviousmode>

Mr.Ceefus
03-08-2012, 08:53 PM
no steambox to use on my tv?

oh well... lemme get my cable and plug the pc to the tv then :)

Seriously. We all already own a Steambox. I'm happy with my Steambox. It does many things your average box just cannot do.

leilei
03-08-2012, 08:59 PM
If they do a "steambox" they should at least have the decency to have an actual valve for a power switch

ΩBSOLETE
03-08-2012, 09:13 PM
If they do a "steambox" they should at least have the decency to have an actual valve for a power switch

Im going to make that my power button now :cool:

Dealwithit07
03-08-2012, 10:03 PM
O well, I figured this this would have helped console users to come to PC.

Europhoria
03-08-2012, 10:32 PM
Err... duh? in other news grass is green, the sky is blue, and CEOs deny joint project between McDonalds and Starbucks to build a spaceship to colonize Alpha Centauri.

And brother, I hurt people! Also it's Morgan Industries that is funding the spaceship to colonise Alpha Centauri. :mad: Facts is facts. :mad:

Baron_Fel
03-08-2012, 11:29 PM
*company employee builds a personal media center for himself using his own materials*

*gaming press tabloid makes nonsense about a company building a console based off that personal project based on a Gabe "we'll sell hardware if we have to" quote taken out of context for the extra spin

That's how I see it.

if you guys think The Verge is a tabloid making ♥♥♥♥ up Id hate to find out what you think about the rest of the internet.

GlaDOSowen
03-09-2012, 12:11 AM
when did Valve say they were making a console?

Baron_Fel
03-09-2012, 12:19 AM
when did Valve say they were making a console?

know what rumors are? theyre this idea about something that comes from something other than the source. Like, for a rumor to spread about what Valve is doing, Valve wouldn't be the source. Hope this helps.